Thread: New paludarium build, Help needed.

Lexyfrog

Default New paludarium build, Help needed.

I am creating a paludarium for my lovely two blue azures dart frogs. the problem is i've never made one before! So I have a few questions. But first the tank is a 100 liter fish tank, 700 x 35 x 40cm, Needs a new lid created for it and has a aqua one plant glow led light. So that should help with my plans. I plan on making a background using expanding foam and sculpting it. I can't decide yet whether i want the whole front part to be water or just the side part. ANd i'm going o have a hell of a problem finding plants as my local area is ****e with frog/ plants knowledge. I will also be building a waterfall and a diy rain/mister. Oh and i have a ready cycled ecco pro 130 external filter.

Question one however is do i have to have a false bottom? Will having stones/ ada aquasoil work? I have ada in there already, so that would save faffing.

Oh and do i have to have soil? will plants grow fine in a mix of ada aquasoil and fine gravel?

*Edit* And whats the best way to heat it if there's a polystyrene background?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: New paludarium build, Help needed.

you do not have to have an eggcrate false bottom, although, for a paludarium, they really make life easier. but, you do need some sort of drainage layer for the soil to drain into. and yes, you need soil. ada is fine for aquatic, but not for terrestrials. for terrestrials, you will need a well draining soil mix, like ABG (Atlanta Botanical Gardens). any ways, back to the drainage layer. you can use stone, but keep in mind, it has to be slightly above your final water level, and than be a lot of stone. you also need to keep the marginal edge of the stone stable, so it doesn't collapse and take your entire terrestrial section with it. then there's the issue with your filter intake. if you bury it under the stone, it may not be able to draw enough through the stone, or worse yet, you need to remove it for maintenance. otherwise, you are stuck with it in your water feature and need to camouflage it. you could always drill the tank and add in an overflow, then conceal that. then you have the heat issue.

with an eggcrate false bottom, you have open water under your terrestrial section, and that make for wonderful hiding spots for things like aquarium heaters, and filter intakes, ect. build in a trap door for access to the underside and you're good to go
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    1.0.0 Tabby/Maine Coon Mix
    2.1.0 Genetics Experiments
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Lexyfrog

Default Re: New paludarium build, Help needed.

very helpful thank you. False bottom it is, just need to get hold of some egg crate. I will be building this slowly and testing every stage, its the only way its going to work right.

Thread Information