Thread: Indonesian red bufos???

osmbr

Default Indonesian red bufos???

i was searching on kingsnake.com, i am interested in these im trying to find info on them but nothing comes up.

http://market.kingsnake.com/detail.php?cat=14&de=767513

does anyone know of any other names of them or if thats what they are actually called

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Indonesian red bufos???

Bufo melanostictus : AmphibiaWeb - Bufo melanostictus
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Kurt

The species is Duttaphrynus melanostictus . Check out the toad care article to the left.

Nationality
    [Ireland]

Kurt's using a new genus name for the same frog I linked (way to confuse people).

Kurt

Did not see your first post until now. Sorry.

osmbr

haha i was going to say they looked the same to me but niether really looks like the ones on kingsnake those are really red in color remind me of something like a brick red

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Here is some information on the captive care you might be interested in.
    Black-Spined Toad Care Sheet - Bufo melanostictus/Duttaphrynus melanostictus - Common Indian Toad, Common Asian Toad - Captive Care, Habitat, Origin, Breeding and more... THEAMPHIBIAN.co.uk

The frogs are now in the genus Duttaphrynus. I posted a picture of mine on Frog Forum at: http://www.frogforum.net/20449-post4.html
    Terry Gampper
    Nebraska Herpetological Society

“If we can discover the meaning in the trilling of a frog, perhaps we may understand why it is for us not merely noise but a song of poetry and emotion.”
    ---
    Adrian Forsyth

osmbr

terry

thanks for the info. how do u like this species? how are they as captives how big is yours and could u post pics of your setup thanks u got a nice looking toad

Quote Originally Posted by osmbr View Post
    i was searching on kingsnake.com, i am interested in these im trying to find info on them but nothing comes up.

http://market.kingsnake.com/detail.php?cat=14&de=767513

does anyone know of any other names of them or if thats what they are actually called
    I looked at the link. The seller is ben siegel? Oh the irony(met him earlier on here).

Nationality
    [Ireland]

Quote Originally Posted by Deku View Post
    I looked at the link. The seller is ben siegel? Oh the irony(met him earlier on here).
    Not helping, Kevin...

osmbr

DEKU
    whats wrong with ben as a seller??

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

terry

thanks for the info. how do u like this species? how are they as captives how big is yours and could u post pics of your setup thanks u got a nice looking toad
    This toad has it all - nice looking, active, and easy to care for. My frog is about 2.5 inches, but can reach 5 inches or more when full grown. I'll post more pictures soon.

Kurt

DEKU
    Nothing. Let it go.

DEKU
    Huh? Oh nothing. No I just met him earlier that day. I don't know the guy nor can I speak about him. Sorry sorry! I didnt mean to frighten anyone! I just meant it as its twice I saw him in the same day. ^^;; good luck with your toad! Post some pictures and keep us updated!

Sorry john I didnt mean it as a bad comment. It just "sounded" like that.

bntz

Did you mean this toad ?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Yes. These frogs are commonly found between India and Indonesia. Often called the common Indian or Asiatic toad, and I have also heard it called the Sunda toad. It has been placed in the new genus Duttaphrynus. It is named in honor of Indian herpetologist Sushill K. Dutta.

bntz

Quote Originally Posted by tgampper View Post
    Yes. These frogs are commonly found between India and Indonesia. Often called the common Indian or Asiatic toad, and I have also heard it called the Sunda toad. It has been placed in the new genus Duttaphrynus. It is named in honor of Indian herpetologist Sushill K. Dutta.
    It's not only live in Sunda (Sunda is another name of west java region). It's live in all over place in Indonesia, it live everywhere from Sumatra, Java, Kalimantan (global name = Borneo), Sulawesi, Papua (former Irian Jaya), Bali, Lombok.

But this toad living along with humans, not in the forest or thick jugle. We can found almost everywhere like in backyards, parks, and ponds. But Indonesian hate this creature, like the most hated frogs/toads because it can spread liquid that itch (i dunno if it true because I won't dare to touch it).

Visit come Indonesia and you can have it as much as you want . I can find 50 toads wandering in my house.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Thanks for the information These toads are awesome and easy to care for. Since they adapt well around humans, they make the ideal pet. I would like to take up your offer to visit Indonesia some day. I met a zoo intern from Indonesia last week and she told me quite a bit about the herpetology of Indonesia.

bntz

Quote Originally Posted by tgampper View Post
    Thanks for the information These toads are awesome and easy to care for. Since they adapt well around humans, they make the ideal pet. I would like to take up your offer to visit Indonesia some day. I met a zoo intern from Indonesia last week and she told me quite a bit about the herpetology of Indonesia.
    There is rumors among Indonesians that this toads can spread itching liquid and If contact eyes can cause blindness. I don't know If it true. I just can believe you keep this as pet

Yes, this toads living along with humans so they are not to stressed being around humans and helping humans for controlling pest (as we know that toads eat bugs like crickets). If this toads living around house it means the environment aren't broken.

If you love reptiles and amphibians, Indonesia is the place. almost 17% of reptiles & amphibians species live here. I can provide information of popular reptiles & amphibians pets native here. Just send me private message.

There are geckos that can climb in the wall like treefrog called Cosymbotus platyurus. I found that someone keep them as pet in europe and america. This gecko is very common here, there are 2 of this gecko crawling above my head.

Kurt

I have seen them listed as Malaysian black-spined toads.

Thread Information