Thread: when to clean tank?

Samuel Little

Lightbulb when to clean tank?

Hi i'v had my pacman 4 weeks and 2 days now and most care sheets states his tank is now due a clean however, so far this frog has used the same hole it made when it wishes to burrow which was made on the cool side on the left and towards the front of the tank itsself and active more at night hopping about the hot side its had one honey bath as it didnt poop since i brought him/her as i put in a older thread and looking into the burrow when he's left it theres no poop in there and no surface bassed poop infact its never pooped in the tank so far to my knowledge now ofcourse i asume it has urinated would you still clean the tank or is leaving it abit longer ok??

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: when to clean tank?

In theory you can leave tank for a little bit longer, say like a week longer, but really it's not worth it. The best is just to do it on a same day every month. I do it the first sunday every month, this way you don't need to count weeks/days, and know ahead of time not to plan anything on that day. It's a whole day project for me lol
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Samuel Little

Thank's i'l get to it tomorrow when i'v got the time not the rush lol

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

We spot clean Huey once a day, full clean every weekend, and change her water every day. I for sure thought Huey was backed up too. But, then we found the poopies in her water. Man was it huge too... These frogs have an odd metabolism. I give mine 1hookworm a week as a treat and she poopes every time. Personally I think it takes alot of eating for a growing frog to make a poopie. So the amount of waste may not increase till it grows.

This is my opinion. Perhaps one of the other pacman people have some input.

This is why my wife is trying to study to be a amphibian/reptile vet now.... there flippin are none really...

6. This member thanks Krispy for this post:

Nationality
    [Canada]

Your wife is a vet student? Nice! I might have something for her then

oh I hope you meant to say hornworm not hookworm but for hornworm you might want to slow down a little and give less frequently.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [Canada]

I clean once a month also, always on the 20th. Do my spot cleaning and change his water daily even if he hasn't used it. And Lija I feel better now knowing that im not the only one that when its time to clean tanks its a whole day process. I was reading a thread and got the idea to try that wipeout1 from Griff The Great so I ordered a big jug this week. Hopefully it decreases some of the time it takes to disinfect the actual tank.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Lija View Post
    Your wife is a vet student? Nice! I might have something for her then

oh I hope you meant to say hornworm not hookworm but for hornworm you might want to slow down a little and give less frequently.

Lol yeah hornworm. Were looking into schools and grants now. Its bookaka that theres no vets for our pets. The ones you find want your house signed over for a checkup. Its fooey....

Nationality
    [Canada]

Do not like wipeout stuff, too chemical for me vinegar or bleach or alhogol are way better IMHO and I LOVE zilla terrarium cleaner. But im not disinfecting tanks every month, just clean, scrub water warks + zilla stuff, mild bleach every few months.

i guess whatever works is good.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Thank you for the chemical warning for the wipeout, I will be sure to read whats in it and now being the paranoid person I am I don't even know if I will use it.
    And this whole time I have been doing the bleach everymonth and scrubbing and rinseing for like 45 minutes, and you are saying I don't even have to? That's enough to make me want to bang my head of the wall out frustration because it is a whole day process for me and that could cut back on some time if I only have to do a big disinfect every couple months.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Hey, when you have the amount of stuff in the basement like I do, you gotta learn to cut corners and not to move a muscle unless absolutely have to, every bit helps. Lol or I'd be looking into a week process lol

im looking at this that way - who do I disinfect every time? Do I need to? What im trying to achieve?

Frogs dont one live in sterile environment in a wild, so every month's cleaning is more so to remove the substrate because it's soiled with poop and urine. If the frog is parasite free no need to go nuts. Im disinfecting every few months only in case something is getting out of hand, just in case.
    Oh and have I mentioned that zilla stuff lol LOVE it!

Nationality
    [Canada]

Thank you again, and im going to go grab some of Zilla cleaner.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

i will also be doing my homework. Usually i swear by wipe out 2 because i thought wipe out 1 is too agressive. The only time i needed wipe out 1 was for a neglected red tail boa i adopted(and rehomed to my mom bwa ha ha) had the worst mite issue Ive ever seen. Wipe out 2 isnt so severe. I normally come from the snake world. The wife spiked the frog keeping interest.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Yeah unfortunately I could only order the wipeout 1 and I had to get it from Big Als aquariums. I checked all the stores here were I live that sell reptiles and amphibians and none of them carried any of the wipe out products and they weren't even in there computers for order. Big als didn't carry it either so they ordered it for me. But now having you and Lija telling me its pretty potent I think I may cancel my order and wait till I come across the wipeout 2 and just stick with the Zilla cleaner. Im going to pick that up tomorrow when I do my food run for the froggies.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Cory https://www.northerngecko.net/#/category/272 wipeout 1
    but I don't like exo terra cleaner, it's gello like. they also have exo earth very cheap, and other stuff, but to get free shipping you gotta have 100$ order, so im just getting stuff for that amount .

That zilla cleaner is spray, feels like windex, but less intense.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Thank you once again, your help is always greatly appreciated.

Thread Information