Thread: Hello everyone... i got a problem

critter

Default Hello everyone... i got a problem

I have had my pacman for about 1 year and for the last 2 months I have noticed a serious problem... Rocksteady (my frog) will snap at food as it passes by but his tongue does not come out!!! food literally can be on his lips and he will miss his attempt to eat so i have to shove the bugs in his mouth so he wont starve :-( i have gotten a decent look at his tongue and it appears just fine... please help

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Hello everyone... i got a problem

These frogs don't have a long tongue - are you sure he's not just missing or it's not sticking to the prey? They are more lunge predators than most frogs, using their whole mouths rather than just their tongues. What are you feeding him, out of curiosity?
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

critter

thanks for getting back to me so fast John... I know they don"t have long tongues... there is definitely something wrong with his tongue. I have had him about a year and i know his tongue extends about only half a centimeter when healthy but now when he strikes his tongue does not come out at all.... I feed him crickets and mealworms and even a pinky mouse once... he is about 3" long and otherwise looks very healthy

Musicpanda

Quote Originally Posted by critter View Post
    thanks for getting back to me so fast John... I know they don"t have long tongues... there is definitely something wrong with his tongue. I have had him about a year and i know his tongue extends about only half a centimeter when healthy but now when he strikes his tongue does not come out at all.... I feed him crickets and mealworms and even a pinky mouse once... he is about 3" long and otherwise looks very healthy
    Does his eyes seem to register movement in his enclosure? Heard from my veterinarian that especially albinos have bad eye vision since birth, but it could be that he's not that interested in the food cause it's small or it's to hot/cold in his terrarium. If you could a video of your frog eating would be good. Do you feed him with tweezers or do you put the food directly into hit enclosure for him to hunt himself?

Kind regards/ Leonard

critter

yes his eyes track prey very well and he will snap at his food 20 times and miss all 20 times... he is not an albino pacman... his food is live and he hunts for it himself... ill work on getting a video to show you guys his failure to get prey in his mouth

Musicpanda

Quote Originally Posted by critter View Post
    yes his eyes track prey very well and he will snap at his food 20 times and miss all 20 times... he is not an albino pacman... his food is live and he hunts for it himself... ill work on getting a video to show you guys his failure to get prey in his mouth
    Hm, I had an albino that did what you're describing, but you say he looks healthy, is there any changes in his environment or in yours that could affect his mental state, building up stress?

Thread Information