Thread: Food for thought

Frogger00

Default Food for thought

If the frog accepted it, could I feed it human food?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Food for thought

Well I guess that would depend on what you mean by "human food." According to some people, crickets and worms are human food.

In general I wouldn't think they'd do well on most human food - or even want to try since it isn't live and moving.

Frogger00

Default Food for thought

Quote Originally Posted by Crispy42 View Post
    Well I guess that would depend on what you mean by "human food." According to some people, crickets and worms are human food.

In general I wouldn't think they'd do well on most human food - or even want to try since it isn't live and moving.
    Well, I tested this today. I offered one of my frogs a very small Cheeto and to my surprise he ate it. I'm not saying feeding it as a staple diet, but if he likes it, then do you think it would be okay as a treat? My frogs will eat anything and everything it seems. Do you think it would be harmful?

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Hmmm... I'll leave this one to the experts because I don't know. My gut says it might be a bad idea, but I don't have any evidence to support my gut other than having never seen wild frogs eat Cheetos.

To treat my guys I feed special foods (like fresh fruits etc) to their crickets and then the frogs get to enjoy the taste (and nutrition) second hand. Apparently crickets taste like whatever food they eat - although I've never verified this! - so varying the cricket diet might be like a treat for the frogs too.

taniaaust1

I'm very shocked that someone would want risk killing or making their frog quite sick for an experiment like this. Just cause a frog eats something doesn't mean its healthy for it (some frogs even eat rocks which can end up killing them). The fact he ate it probably just means he was hungry.

Have you even looked to see how many things Cheetos contain? Artifical food colours etc. They also are full of salt. You probably risked not only poisoning the frog but possibily with feeding it salt, you may of risked giving it serious issues eg heart issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Frogger00 View Post
    Well, I tested this today. I offered one of my frogs a very small Cheeto and to my surprise he ate it. I'm not saying feeding it as a staple diet, but if he likes it, then do you think it would be okay as a treat? My frogs will eat anything and everything it seems. Do you think it would be harmful?

I don't think Cheetos even qualify as 'human food'.

There's a decent variety of feeder insects available if you want to mix up a frogs diet.

Frogger00

Default Food for thought

You are probably right. But I gotta say,he took that Cheeto like a champ and is still doing just fine.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

A Human baby will put nearly anything in its mouth if offered or found. A Human baby will dink poisonous liquids and stick things in power outlets. A human child will walk unknowingly out into a busy street. A human child will unwittingly touch a hot stove. A human baby or small child are not sure what is right, wrong, safe, dangerous, poisonous, or healthy. It is up to us as responsible caring Adult Humans to restrict their activities, food, and drink to things that are Healthy, Nutritious, and Safe. These are just a few examples of things a small person would do if left to their own devices.

In case it isn't clear this also applies to our Pets or animals in our care. They do not know what is bad for them or dangerous. It is our responsibility to provide them with the care and safety we would offer a human child. I for one am greatly offended that you would be so epically irresponsible to offer your pet frog something so incredibly inappropriate for food. I find it egregious that after doing this you feel the need to share it on a public forum like it is something others should try too.

The Original poster of this thread has shown to me that they lack rational judgement and care only to see what they can get away with and have lost all respect I may have had for them. This sort of behavior and treatment of amphibians is not something I am prepared to tolerate seeing posted on these forums. If you insist on continuing to experiment with your frogs I can not stop you but I can Ban you from this site so we do not have to be subjected to your idiocy.

Paul
    1.1.0 - Oophaga Pumilio 'Blue Jeans' (2014 Nicaragua Import)
    1.1.0 - Oophaga Pumilio 'Chirique Grande' F1
    1.1.0 - D. Tinctorius 'Citronella'
    1.2.0 - D. Tinctorius 'Azureus'
    0.0.2 - D. Tinctorius 'Sipaliwini'
    0.0.2 - D. Tinctorius 'New River'
    0.0.4 - D. Tinctorius 'Leucomelas'
    0.0.4 - Terribilis 'Mint'
    1.1.0 - R. Ventrimaculatus 'French Guiana'

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/hashtagfrogs
    Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgC...sEZiZQoT8sOuuw

10. 4 members thank DigitalPunk for this post:

Frogger00

Default Food for thought

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalPunk View Post
    A Human baby will put nearly anything in its mouth if offered or found. A Human baby will dink poisonous liquids and stick things in power outlets. A human child will walk unknowingly out into a busy street. A human child will unwittingly touch a hot stove. A human baby or small child are not sure what is right, wrong, safe, dangerous, poisonous, or healthy. It is up to us as responsible caring Adult Humans to restrict their activities, food, and drink to things that are Healthy, Nutritious, and Safe. These are just a few examples of things a small person would do if left to their own devices.
    There is some big differences between a frog and a child.

In case it isn't clear this also applies to our Pets or animals in our care. They do not know what is bad for them or dangerous. It is our responsibility to provide them with the care and safety we would offer a human child. I for one am greatly offended that you would be so epically irresponsible to offer your pet frog something so incredibly inappropriate for food. I find it egregious that after doing this you feel the need to share it on a public forum like it is something others should try too.
    I am sorry I offended you. I did not intend to say that others should try this, I was merely asking if it would be okay as a treat, as he seemed to enjoy it.

The Original poster of this thread has shown to me that they lack rational judgement and care only to see what they can get away with and have lost all respect I may have had for them. This sort of behavior and treatment of amphibians is not something I am prepared to tolerate seeing posted on these forums. If you insist on continuing to experiment with your frogs I can not stop you but I can Ban you from this site so we do not have to be subjected to your idiocy.

Paul
    It is possible I do lack judgement and, as you said, am a complete idiot. I do not want to harm my frogs or encourage others to do so.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Frogger00 View Post
    There is some big differences between a frog and a child.
    clearly you missed the entire point. The point you missed is that as adults/parents/pet owners it is our responsibility to provide and care for things or people in our care.
    1.1.0 - Oophaga Pumilio 'Blue Jeans' (2014 Nicaragua Import)
    1.1.0 - Oophaga Pumilio 'Chirique Grande' F1
    1.1.0 - D. Tinctorius 'Citronella'
    1.2.0 - D. Tinctorius 'Azureus'
    0.0.2 - D. Tinctorius 'Sipaliwini'
    0.0.2 - D. Tinctorius 'New River'
    0.0.4 - D. Tinctorius 'Leucomelas'
    0.0.4 - Terribilis 'Mint'
    1.1.0 - R. Ventrimaculatus 'French Guiana'

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/hashtagfrogs
    Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgC...sEZiZQoT8sOuuw

Nationality
    [Canada]

Quote Originally Posted by UncleChester View Post
    I don't think Cheetos even qualify as 'human food "
    Lol that's right! I cant imagine buying that stuff and eating that, leave alone feeding it to a frog.

in a seriousness though. It's beyond irresponsible to feed human junk food to a frog, any human food really. As a pet owner you have sertain responsibilities. Paul covered it all, I'll go further and say frog are more sensitive to environment and food then babies
    frog forum does not support irresponsible pet ownership or inproper care. Paul warned you already, so I don need to do it again. Im closing this thread, it goes nowhere.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

14. 2 members thank Lija for this post:

Thread Information