Thread: Biting?!

Frogger00

Default Biting?!

Both my whites are constantly biting everything and anything that moves. Today for example, I took out a frog and he attacked my finger. As soon as I got him off that finger, he went for another one and so it continued. I try to feed them both 3-4 gut loaded and dusted crickets every day or every other day, and mealworms once a week. They are still always hunting and striking with mouths open at something they saw. They are both a good healthy weight and eat like pigs during feeding, should I feed more? Does anyone else have this issue?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Biting?!

Shirley's like that, at least at feeding time... she sees something out of the corner of her eye and she's gotta go for it! Have you had them fecal tested lately? Are they good weights or a bit on the lean side? Might consider adding some more bulk to their diets, have you tried night crawlers? Those might satiate them more. Either that or you just have some nice healthy frogs with high prey drive, which is exactly what they would need in the wild. If they are acting otherwise normal and have normal fecal tests I wouldn't worry. Give them a cricket or two more, maybe add a waxworm or two (instead of mealworms) into the diet and see how that goes.
    Mom to these fine frogs!
    4.4.0 White's tree frogs (Litoria caerulea): Sir Honey Lime, Bok & Choi, Martha, Shirley, Leapin' Loo and Ping & Pong; 0.2.1 Amazon Milk Frogs (Trachycephalus resinifictrix): Otto & Echo and Pip-Squeak aka Tiny
    2.0.0 South American Bird Poo Frogs (Hyla marmorata): Ribbit & Rupert

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I think it sounds like your frogs are healthy. I mostly agree with irThumper's advice, although you might also want to keep an eye on them and see if their aggression keeps one frog or the other from getting to the food.

If your tank doesn't have anything they might swallow you could try letting them hunt down crickets or something.

Honestly, fingers probably look like fat juicy worms from a frog's perspective. You can't blame them for attacking!

5. This member thanks elly for this post:

Frogger00

Default Biting?!

Does anyone know where I can get a fecal test in Canada for a good price? My local exotics vet said it would be 300$ . That is absolutely ridiculous. Maybe I will give them some night crawlers. Should I cut off the heads? They are a good weight. One is a bit on the chubby side they've always been aggressive like this ever since I brought them home. Tbh I find it hysterical when they latch on! I tong feed them because they do get aggressive towards each other. Bubba my bigger one once slapped spike(little guy) because he wanted the cricket! After that, they got fed separately lol

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

$300... three HUNDRED dollars??? Is he barking mad!?
    Mom to these fine frogs!
    4.4.0 White's tree frogs (Litoria caerulea): Sir Honey Lime, Bok & Choi, Martha, Shirley, Leapin' Loo and Ping & Pong; 0.2.1 Amazon Milk Frogs (Trachycephalus resinifictrix): Otto & Echo and Pip-Squeak aka Tiny

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Frogger00 View Post
    Does anyone know where I can get a fecal test in Canada for a good price? My local exotics vet said it would be 300$ . That is absolutely ridiculous. Maybe I will give them some night crawlers. Should I cut off the heads? They are a good weight. One is a bit on the chubby side they've always been aggressive like this ever since I brought them home. Tbh I find it hysterical when they latch on! I tong feed them because they do get aggressive towards each other. Bubba my bigger one once slapped spike(little guy) because he wanted the cricket! After that, they got fed separately lol

Hopefully someone from Canada can give you a good heads up on where to perform the test... I think you could mail fecal samples to Dr. Frye from there(??)

Shirley is the same way with Honey, if he doesn't watch out she will gobble up all the bugs and then glomb him too, lol! Poor guy
    Mom to these fine frogs!

Frogger00

Default Biting?!

Quote Originally Posted by irThumper View Post
    $300... three HUNDRED dollars??? Is he barking mad!?
    I know! That's why I haven't gotten them tested yet!

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

$300?!?! I'm glad I don't have that vet!

I think it's time to call around to different vets! If there aren't any other exotic vets I town, wouldn't a regular vet be able to do the fecal test? I believe the testing process is the same, and you don't actually have to bring your frogs in (just a fecal sample). It might be worth at least calling around to check if anyone else can do it.

11. This member thanks Crispy42 for this post:

Frogger00

Default Biting?!

Quote Originally Posted by Crispy42 View Post
    $300?!?! I'm glad I don't have that vet!

I think it's time to call around to different vets! If there aren't any other exotic vets I town, wouldn't a regular vet be able to do the fecal test? I believe the testing process is the same, and you don't actually have to bring your frogs in (just a fecal sample). It might be worth at least calling around to check if anyone else can do it.
    Good point! I will ask around and see if anyone is willing to do that for me.

Tongue Flicker

That's just normal. At least they have amazing responses lol..

Just be sure they don't hurt themselves as the skin covering their snout is thin and can be injured. But usually it's just normal and a fun thing to watch

Frogger00

Default Biting?!

Quote Originally Posted by Tongue Flicker View Post
    That's just normal. At least they have amazing responses lol..

Just be sure they don't hurt themselves as the skin covering their snout is thin and can be injured. But usually it's just normal and a fun thing to watch
    Yes I swear they would eat themselves to death if they could! Unfortunately bubbas nose is a bit beat up right now, he's constantly hunting and rubbing his nose on the glass. I've been treating it with Neosporin. I'm also working on getting a 4 foot tall cage so maybe he will explore the cage instead of begging me for food!

Nationality
    [Canada]

Before I found my exotics vet I was having the same problem, so one day while I was at my dogs vet I had asked if she could do a fecal test or get one done for me and she said it wasn't a problem. She said she didn't work with exotics but that she could send one out for me. I then asked if the lab she uses would know what to look for and she said of course, she said they only work with cats and dogs there but the lab sees blood and fecals from dogs, lizards frogs birds etc. So if you have a dog or cat I would ask that vet if they could help. Or even if you have a friend with a dog maybe they could say its there frog and there vet may do it. Like stated earlier they don't need the frog, just the poop. Price I couldn't tell you because my vet did it for free to me help me out because I spend so much there on my dog because she is allergic to everything under the sun. And ya $300 is outrageous, I paid a little more then that at my exotics for a visual, fecal, x-ray, she took out blood and some excess fluid under the skin and tested it then after determining it was edema drained all the excess fluids left under her skin. Oh and antibiotics, and all that cost me $370. Now she did say it would have been more if they weren't able to do so much in house. So for the biting I cant say much but I would be telling that vet they are crazy.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Yes, Cory is correct, any vet can do a fecal, but most won't do exotics because they don't treat them and if the trest is positive they wouldn't treat them.
    Fecal tests sent to a lab in alberta are around 70-80$ depending on a clinic.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Thread Information