Thread: What Roaches worth breeding for Pixie frog?

Rattus Knits

Default What Roaches worth breeding for Pixie frog?

So I know there are a few forums with similar things to this but it's usually for the pacman frogs and since I'm new to froggies I figured i'd ask. So I have a pixie frog, a bit smaller than a baseball right now, who is eating cricket, an occasional mouse, meal worms and I just bought earth worms (only had him like 2 weeks). For right now this is fine and I don't mind the $10 or so a week for food and I keep some canned grasshoppers on hand in case I run out, but when he starts eating more I was thinking about a roach colony. What species is best for the Pixies? I've been reading about the dubia, but also saw mention of a couple others. What do you guys think/use? Also a good link for it too if possible.
    Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Hello and welcome, Rattus

Dubia roaches are an easy roach colony to keep and will save you money once it's multiplying.

I'm not a fan of mealworms, as their segments are made of chitin and will not break down when the frog digests them. It can lead to intestinal obstructions.

Night crawlers and earth worms from a safe, clean source are the best staple foods.

Dubias are great too, especially if you feed them fresh fruits and orange and leafy-green veggies .

Congrats on your new frog!

Have you found our care sheet section?
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Nationality
    [United States]

Repashy also makes a canned food in which you make rolled balls for them to eat. It's actually very nutritious and great to keep around when the weather is bad and it's hard to get worms and insects.

Some frogs will take the Repashy via tong feeding.
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Rattus Knits

Default Re: What Roaches worth breeding for Pixie frog?

Quote Originally Posted by Heatheranne View Post
    Hello and welcome, Rattus

Dubia roaches are an easy roach colony to keep and will save you money once it's multiplying.

I'm not a fan of mealworms, as their segments are made of chitin and will not break down when the frog digests them. It can lead to intestinal obstructions.

Night crawlers and earth worms from a safe, clean source are the best staple foods.

Dubias are great too, especially if you feed them fresh fruits and orange and leafy-green veggies .

Congrats on your new frog!

Have you found our care sheet section?
    I've looked at the care sheet and that's what i'm basing most of my care off of haha, that and a bunch of other sources since I like to look around for multiple opinions and then base it off of what seems to be the consensus of care. I was also toying with the idea of breeding worms instead since i have rats and mice so being able to put uneaten bits of fruit and stuff someplace would be a plus aside from just the stuff i'd be consistently feeding worms. This though i have yet to find an opinion one way or the other as to being worth it or not and it seems the dubias are the most common one that people breed for their pixies

Nationality
    [United States]

Yes. I started with about 200 and within a few months had many more. Within a year a had a 20 gallon long tank with 1,000's.

Tongue Flicker

Default Re: What Roaches worth breeding for Pixie frog?

Dubia dubia dubia lol..

Lobster roaches and an occasional orange-head are also nice

Thread Information