Thread: Hello first time amphibian keeper here

Ruben D

Default Hello first time amphibian keeper here

I purchased this frog, named it rocky and was told it is a Madagascar Leaf Frog. I have not been able to find anything on the interwebs like it. so if some one could help me positive ID the little bugger and give me some tips on what to keep him on and what to feed him.

What i am doing to keep him now:
    5 Gal aquarium with screen lid
    Coconut bark substrate
    one plastic vine to hide in/under/around
    Full spectrum UV dome light
    Water Bowl for drinking/soaking

I really prefer not to feed crickets (my wife hates them) she can do worms and flightless flies
    the coconut sticks to the poor thing and it looks dirty any tips on keeping it clean would be awesome

I currently keep reptiles and wanted a leaf frog and after i saw this guy i knew he was the one i wanted in my collection of herps
    My collection:
    0.1 Red Tail Boa (BCI)
    0.2 Ball Python
    1.0 Kenyan sand boa
    0.1 Leopard gecko
    ?.? Leaf/Tree frog from Madagascar

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Hello first time amphibian keeper here

I will dig around to see what I can find for that particular species of frog but here are some Tree frog general guidelines that carry from one to the other.

1. They are arboreal, they need height. You should try to keep him in a 24" tall tank minimum. the Exo Terra 18x18x24 tank is just about perfect. If you can afford to do a 36" tall tank he/she would appreciate it
    2. Temperature - Until we can get a proper ID and care sheet keep him around 75F
    3. Humidity - This one is iffy and varries from species to species but if you aim for 50 - 60% humidity and have a water bowl present he should be fine
    4. Dirty - Cover the ground with Leaf liter (not leafs from outside they can have chemicals and other nasties) You will want to order them from an online supplier for the hobby. Neherp, Genesis Exotics, Josh's Frogs, Blackjungle to name a few.
    5. Foog - Crickets is the staple diet for Tree frogs. Flightless flies dont work for tree frogs and worms will be hit or miss. Crickets or roaches are the way to go
    6. The UV dome light is an over kill. You really only need a basic LED light. Led Lights will also not heat the air in the tank and dry out the humidity
    7. How are you heating the tank?
    8. QT - You should really have him setup in a QT tank for 30 days so you can monitor his poop and food intake. QT tank consists of a tank with wet unprinted paper towels as the substrate and a single plant clipping and water bowl.
    1.1.0 - Oophaga Pumilio 'Blue Jeans' (2014 Nicaragua Import)
    1.1.0 - Oophaga Pumilio 'Chirique Grande' F1
    1.1.0 - D. Tinctorius 'Citronella'
    1.2.0 - D. Tinctorius 'Azureus'
    0.0.2 - D. Tinctorius 'Sipaliwini'
    0.0.2 - D. Tinctorius 'New River'
    0.0.4 - D. Tinctorius 'Leucomelas'
    0.0.4 - Terribilis 'Mint'
    1.1.0 - R. Ventrimaculatus 'French Guiana'

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/hashtagfrogs
    Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgC...sEZiZQoT8sOuuw

3. This member thanks DigitalPunk for this post:

Frogger00

Agreed with what was said above.

Get him out of that 5 gallon and into a 30 gallon tall.

It's okay if the substrate sticks to him, but if it bothers you then do leaf litter as said above.

Only one plastic vine? This is a tree frog! Add some plastic or live plants, a piece of wood maybe. He will easily get bored with just one vine and end up rubbing his nose off.

Lights and heat confuse me, so I will stay out of this one lol.

Is the water dechlorinated?

Unfortunately, you need to feed crickets. They aren't too bad, especially if you get smaller ones. Worms are a treat. Basically, you feed them, and dust with calcium and vitamin supplements before feeding to the frog. If you have more questions on cricket care, ask away. Most pet stores are able to give you the right supplies for keeping crickets, it's pretty easy.

Oh, and I noticed in your collection you put "?.? Leaf/tree frog from Madagascar" you can write that "0.0.1 leaf/tree frog from Madagascar "

Good luck and welcome to the forum!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

whittyfrog42

I'm not sure but that looks like the same leg pattern as a Cuban tree frog. Really odd pattern for his/her back though.

Hello and congratulations on your new frog. I believe I have identified it. It appears to be a Boophis albilabris, or White-lipped bright-eyed frog.

Here are some pics that I found.

Here's a Frogforum thread that I found about them, with more pics. http://www.frogforum.net/tree-frogs/...is-photos.html

I couldn't find a whole lot about it, other than what I found on the Wikipedia stub, White-lipped bright-eyed frog - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. I would suggest going onto Google tomorrow and doing some very intensive searching for info. It would appear that it at least needs a heavily arboreal setup with lots of branches and tall plants with strong leaves.

Because it's wild caught, you will want to do a long quarantine with multiple fecal testings done, and also test for Chytrid and Ranavirus. You can find test kits online that are quite inexpensive. Be prepared for some vet bills, as it will almost certainly need some treatment for parasites and possibly other issues.

Best of luck on your froggy, and please keep us updated on how s/he is doing, and what you are finding out about him/her.
    0.0.6 Hyla versicolor
    7.0.0 Dendropsophus leucophyllatus
    2.0.0 Homo sapiens sapiens (K & C, the *other* froglets)

"Cleansed in the finest quality spring water, lightly killed, and then sealed in a succulent Swiss quintuple smooth treble cream milk chocolate envelope, and lovingly frosted with glucose."

7. This member thanks Crunchy Frog for this post:

Frogger00

Quote Originally Posted by whittyfrog42 View Post
    I'm not sure but that looks like the same leg pattern as a Cuban tree frog. Really odd pattern for his/her back though.
    I noticed that too!

Frogger00

Quote Originally Posted by Crunchy Frog View Post
    Hello and congratulations on your new frog. I believe I have identified it. It appears to be a
    Boophis albilabris
    . Here are some pics that I found.

Or "bright eyed tree frog" if you want that name in English lol. I agree, this frog looks like a boophis albilabris!

Just wanted to add that the term "leaf frog" is usually used to refer to members of the Neotropical hylid subfamily, the Phyllomedusinae. Phyllomedusinae - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

These include such well known frogs as the Red-eyed tree (leaf) frog, and the Waxy monkey frog. But don't worry about labels. You obviously have yourself a very cool frog there. I just wish that these importers would be conscientious enough to bother to learn the species names of the animals that they're bringing in and selling. If I could do it in a few minutes on Google, they should be able to as well.
    0.0.6 Hyla versicolor
    7.0.0 Dendropsophus leucophyllatus
    2.0.0 Homo sapiens sapiens (K & C, the *other* froglets)

"Cleansed in the finest quality spring water, lightly killed, and then sealed in a succulent Swiss quintuple smooth treble cream milk chocolate envelope, and lovingly frosted with glucose."

11. This member thanks Crunchy Frog for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Hello and welcome to the forum .

What a pretty tree frog!

I am not sure which species it is either. Did the seller say anything about where she came from?

You've gotten some great advice so far.

Crickets will be easiest and aren't too bad to get used to.

Be sure to get some amphibian Calcium with vitamin D3 supplement and some amphibian multivitamin. Some great brands are Repashy calcium plus (vitamin) and Repcal calcium with vitamin D3 (fine powder). You should lightly dust her food with calcium every other day and the MVI one day a week, on a different day from the calcium.

Be sure to dechlorinate any tap water used if there is chlorine, chloramines or any heavy metals in your water. You can use bottles spring water if it is chlorine, chloramine, and heavy-metal free. Drinking water has chlorine in it.

You can mist her tank with distilled water. It does not leave hard water spots when it dries. Avoid using it for her to soak in though. It can pull electrolytes out through her skin bc it has no minerals in it. Works great for spraying though.

If you give her more climbing plants and branches, she'll be very happy and will spend most of her time among the leaves . Be sure to properly treat any new plants and decor for the tank.

Take a look around the tree frog and vivarium sections here. You'll find some nice examples . We can help you. You might want to consider building a false-bottom vivarium.
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Nationality
    [United States]

If you want an easy care vivarium, Flybyferns came up with a great idea and silicones in wall pot holders and treated her plants and potted them right in the pots. It's looks great!
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Nationality
    [United States]

Another way to make a nice vivarium for them is by using the method our moderator, flybyferns, used. She siliconed in wall pot holders and then treated her plants and reported them right into the wall pots. It looks great!

Tongue Flicker

Hello there and welcome aboard!

They should rename that frog into kitchen stovetop burn frog coz it looks like a burned human skin to me haha (morbid much) lol..

Thread Information