Thread: Pacman Frog seems to be eating less than usual

Default Pacman Frog seems to be eating less than usual

1. Size of enclosure: 10 Gallons
    2. # of inhabitants - specifically other frogs and size differences: Lone Pacman
    3. Humidity: 70%
    4. Temperature: 80 day time, 70 night time
    5. Water - type - for both misting and soaking dish: Tap water with conditioner
    6. Materials used for substrate: Eco Earth Dirt?
    7. Enclosure set up i.e. plants (live or artificial), wood, bark and other materials: Live Pathos
    - How were things prepared prior to being put into the viv.
    8. Main food source: Night Crawlers
    9. Vitamins and calcium? (how often): Does he need them? I was last told that worms don't need to be dusted.
    10. Lighting: 25 watt
    11. What is being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure: Heat lamp on the top of the screen and external heating fan on the side
    12. When is the last time he/she ate: 1 worm on Mondays (2 days ago)
    13. Have you found poop lately: Yesterday, saw a little poop in the water, but not a lot.
    14. A pic would be helpful including frog and enclosure (any including cell phone pic is fine):
    I was having a really hard time getting photos up. For some reason they weren't being uploaded (They were under 900x900 px and less than 320KB and jpg)
    So I had to outsource them: Photo of tank-
    https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-C...o/DSC_0059.JPG

Then a photo of Henry outside: https://scontent-lax.xx.fbcdn.net/hp...ed&oe=55708725

15. Describe frog's symptoms and/or recent physical changes; to include it's ventral/belly area:He is appx 4 inches long. Henry (his name) seems to be eating a lot less and it is worrying me. Previously, I bought an 18 pack of worm and he probably ate 8 of them, over the course of a week and eventually it seemed the worms were getting bad, because they just sit in the fridge and I still have 10 worms left. He physically seems okay, but I am just worried. I bought a 12 pack of worms on Monday, fed him a worm, but since then he seems uninterested in food and I don't know if that is normal? If feels like he is eating a lot less.

16. How old is the frog: He is approximatly 4 inches long from snout to butt. He was purchased from PetSmart February 14, 2014. So I have had him for over a year now. I could not tell you his age, but I am pretty sure he is considered an adult.
    17. How long have you owned him/her: Over 1 year.
    18. Is the frog wild caught or captive bred: Probably captive bred.
    19. Frog food- how often and if it is diverse, what other feeders are used as treats: Worms and rarely fish. I fed him fish over several months ago.
    20. How often the frog is handled: Maybe once a week, just to get him out of the ground and into the pond.
    21. Is the enclosure kept in a high or low traffic area: Previously a low traffic area, my bedroom, but now he is in the living room, so there are my family, parents and one sibiling with 3 other animals (2 cats, and a dog) (now I am starting to think maybe I should move him back to my room)

22. Describe enclosure maintenance (water changes, cleaning, etc): I change his water once a week, clean his tank every few months, and mist every morning and evening and if possible, in the middle of the day as well (depends if I am home), his light turns on at 8am and off 8pm, so he has a standard 12 hour night/day cycle.

Now so I have already described the problem, him seeming to not eat enough, but I also have other questions:
    What are some options to help keep the heat for him at night? Since apparently my heating fan is causing the electricity bill to go up significantly (we have moved from a rented house where we didn't pay the electricity to a house we now pay the electricity bill, in case you were wondering why this wasn't a problem when I fist got Henry). So I wanted to know how to keep his heat up at night, since without the heating fan, the tank temperatures can become alarmingly low.

Thanks so much in advance!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]

Default Re: Pacman Frog seems to be eating less than usual

Hello, if your frog is a year old he is pretty much an adult and when they get to this stage they really don't eat as often. You could probably get away with feeding him a few at the start of the week and a few in the middle. You need to get vitamins, half the stuff petsmart tells you is very poor advice and you are probably better to do the opposite if what you tell you. He needs calcium and d3 and multivitamins, rep-cal is a pretty good brand. If you go to the top of the pacman frog part of the forum I believe there is a really good feeding and dusting schedule there. For the heating if you can get away with just that light you can go to walmart or a home depot and buy a dimmer for like $8 and you can adjust your temp that. If you don't see any other signs of illness I worry to much about his eating he is probably just getting older and doesn't need to eat as often.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Sorry the vitamin schedule was in a thread, if you go up to the advanced search part and type in CA & Vitamin dusting schedules it will come up and it is written by a person with the user name mentat.

Quote Originally Posted by monster View Post
    Hello, if your frog is a year old he is pretty much an adult and when they get to this stage they really don't eat as often. You could probably get away with feeding him a few at the start of the week and a few in the middle. You need to get vitamins, half the stuff petsmart tells you is very poor advice and you are probably better to do the opposite if what you tell you. He needs calcium and d3 and multivitamins, rep-cal is a pretty good brand. If you go to the top of the pacman frog part of the forum I believe there is a really good feeding and dusting schedule there. For the heating if you can get away with just that light you can go to walmart or a home depot and buy a dimmer for like $8 and you can adjust your temp that. If you don't see any other signs of illness I worry to much about his eating he is probably just getting older and doesn't need to eat as often.
    Alighty! Thanks so much!
    I am also happy to say he did eat a couple worms yesterday. So I was feeling better about that and I will get a dimmer. Thanks!

Nationality
    [Canada]

And now that I went back and read your trouble in the enclosure answers I agree that takeing him out of the family room and putting him back in the low traffic area might be a good idea. They are stressed very easily. You want to clean his enclosure every month at the longest, these frogs produce a lot a waste. His water you should change everyday even if he doesn't use it. What kind of fish do you feed him when you do? you really have to watch because lots of fish like goldfish are host to parasites and worms that can be past on to your froggy.

And now that I went back and read your trouble in the enclosure answers I agree that takeing him out of the family room and putting him back in the low traffic area might be a good idea. They are stressed very easily. You want to clean his enclosure every month at the longest, these frogs produce a lot a waste. His water you should change everyday even if he doesn't use it. What kind of fish do you feed him when you do? you really have to watch because lots of fish like goldfish are host to parasites and worms that can be past on to your froggy.
    Okay! I will follow your advice! They are just petstore (from PetSmart) goldfish. It's been a long while since I fed him fish though, that was back in the summer, so more than 5 months ago.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Ya goldfish are one of the worst for those kind of things. Hornworms and wax worms are good for treats every once in awhile but they are very fatty so its not good to give them to often.

Ya goldfish are one of the worst for those kind of things. Hornworms and wax worms are good for treats every once in awhile but they are very fatty so its not good to give them to often.
    ohhhhh okay. No more goldfish for him! But Hornworms seem interesting, I think I will definitely give that a go one day. Thank you so much for taking the time to help me out Cory!

Nationality
    [Canada]

No problem that's what the forum is for, and most pacman frogs love hornworms so you shouldn't have a hard time getting him to eat them.And one more thing, 70f is to low even for at night. 75f is the lowest you should go, and 82f-83f would be more of an ideal day time temp.
    Last edited by monster; March 11th, 2015 at 05:48 PM. Reason: more info

I bought him a new night light and he seems to have more...movement (?) When he eats. I'm Feeling lots better about his eating now! He just ate another 2 worms! I guess those 5 extra degrees make quite a difference!
    Again thanks very much!

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Cory! Right on a point!
    Zessinna, im happy it all worked out for you, just don't go crazy on hornworms, they are like big juicy watermellons, lots of water and if given a lot at a time can cause diarrhea, they also contain thiaminase that contributes to short tongue development. But as a treat once in a while in small quantities, say one for smaller frog or two for bigger frog, hormworms are great!
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

13. This member thanks Lija for this post:

Default Pacman Frog seems to be eating less than usual

Quote Originally Posted by Lija View Post
    Cory! Right on a point!
    Zessinna, im happy it all worked out for you, just don't go crazy on hornworms, they are like big juicy watermellons, lots of water and if given a lot at a time can cause diarrhea, they also contain thiaminase that contributes to short tongue development. But as a treat once in a while in small quantities, say one for smaller frog or two for bigger frog, hormworms are great!
    Okay! I'll keep that in mind.
    I haven't gotten around to feeding him one.
    I also just cleaned his tank!

So maybe he is due for a treat because he was out of his comfort zone. X)

And he will get only 1.

Thread Information