Thread: what is this frog

Ruben D

Question what is this frog

so i have never purchased/kept/owned/cared for a frog... ever. i have kept reptiles for a few years now, and i wanted to add a frog to my collection.
    so i bought this little guy?girl?

i was told that it is a "Madagascar leaf frog" and told keeping it on coconut bark is perfectly fine and given a few tips on husbandry. i was told room temp is fine and no light needed. feeding crickets i have found with all other tree frogs is normal but i was wondering if there are any other food sources i could feed it (i may deploy soon, and my wife hates crickets) and the spot on his back is that normal a defect or did i just stumble upon something really cool?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: what is this frog

You should go back and check your original thread about this, since another member identified your frog's species there.

As as far as food goes, crickets and roaches are the typical staple foods for tree frogs. Some also eat earthworms (not red wigglers). Mealworms and super worms aren't good for them, and waxworms can be a treat but are too fatty for a regular meal. A variety of feeders is good, but most important are the supplements: dust the feeders in calcium + d 3 powder and once a week with a multivitamin.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

From what ive been looking at its probably legit. The leg markings kind of remind me of a cuban. But the madagascar has the pronounced brown splotches. Where/who... did you... get that frog from? Where i am thats a rare one...

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

It does resemble a Boophis... except that it doesn't have little sharp points on it's hocks, and all the one's I've been Googling seem to, so not sure...? (I didn't see the other post).

Madagascar tree / Leaf litter frog {Boophis madagascariensis} | Alex Hyde

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bigeye...7619445151082/
    Mom to these fine frogs!
    4.4.0 White's tree frogs (Litoria caerulea): Sir Honey Lime, Bok & Choi, Martha, Shirley, Leapin' Loo and Ping & Pong; 0.2.1 Amazon Milk Frogs (Trachycephalus resinifictrix): Otto & Echo and Pip-Squeak aka Tiny
    2.0.0 South American Bird Poo Frogs (Hyla marmorata): Ribbit & Rupert

Thread Information