Thread: Thought i'd share some pages from a pacman care from a book i just got. chapter-health.

Samuel Little

Lightbulb Thought i'd share some pages from a pacman care from a book i just got. chapter-health.

I brought Reptile keeper's guide's 'The horned frog family and african bullfrog's' by R.D Bartlett and Patricia Bartlett and i thought i'd share the books chapter on health i guess it cover's most if not all frogs in the section but i'l share it. "*....*-part added by me"

Health

Gas bubble Disease
    -This disease may occur when water is supersaturated with gases.Superstaturation may occur when a algal bloom saturates the water with oxygen,or the ground water is seasonally heated and the soulubility of gases decreases as a result.Bacterial respiration in the water may decrease the oxygen levels and make the unaltered levels of nitorgen and carbon dioxide proportionately higher.The tadpoles or aquatic amphibians will bloat and or appear as if they have redleg,but the problem is actually emboli,gasses comming out of solution within the venous system.This is the equivalent of a human deap-sea coming to the surface to quickly.Tadpoles may be unable to submerge,and the disease can be fatal.Short of a barometric pressure chamber there is no direct cure.Aged water will have relinquished extra gases to the atmosphere,but if fresh water must be used,somthing as simple as roiling with an air stone or a drip system or perhap's cooling the water slightly,will helpremedy the situation however,whenever possible we suggest that aged water-drawn from the tap and allowed to sit for 24hours be used.

Redleg
    - Redleg is a bacterial disease that can rapidly prove fatal.Since it can be comunicable,isolating infested frogs from each other and from uninfested frogs is mandatory.The pathogen Areomonas if often,but not always implicated,cleanliness and a suitible temperature regime will nearly ensure this disease is never encountered,conversly fouled water,fouled land areas and inordinate chill will almost assure it's onset and can cause other maladies.Tetracycline hydrochloride is often used as a home remedy,but pathogen sensitivties followed by treatments by a qualified reptile vet would be better.

Blindness- quite recently a form of blindness caused by lipid buildup on the corneas has been observed in ornate and other horned frog species.A diet high in fat(such as pink mice) has been implicated no remedy has been found,but a suitably low fat-natural diet would seem preventative.

Intestinal impaction-This may occur if an overzealous frog ingests gravel or substrate while feeding isolated small parts will usually be passed by the frogs without intervention...* the best way to avoid this is to not have gravel in there with the frog in the first place and also to tong feed*

Metabolic bone disease-This may occur in amphibians that are provided with insufficent calcium/d3 simply feed calcium/d3 enhanced diets with powered suplements. symptoms include chubby looking hind legs,a foreshortened nose and bulky looking jaw area,fractures will also be common as a result.

Cut's,scrapes and lesions-for cut's and scrapes a mild antibiotic salve may hasten healing and the removal of the objest that caused it and veterinary assessment is suggested for lesions.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Thought i'd share some pages from a pacman care from a book i just got. chapter-health.

Air bubble sydrome is not applicable to pacs.

red leg is not a disease, but a symptom. It's a generalized name for bacterial septicaemia.

Missing short tongue sydrome, mtb described insufficiently.

impaction - way more causes then ingesting gravel.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Thread Information