Thread: After a cage cleaning, too mad at me to eat?

Default After a cage cleaning, too mad at me to eat?

When I have to take him out of his cage to clean up or replace the substrate, he is so upset that he doesn't eat. Just over a month old so he still is supposed to eat everyday. This normal for others too?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: After a cage cleaning, too mad at me to eat?

No, something is going on, he supposed to not care about anything other the food is he still a baby?
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Quote Originally Posted by Lija View Post
    No, something is going on, he supposed to not care about anything other the food is he still a baby?
    Yes he is a baby still about a month and a half old. I scrubed everything good with vinegar and rinsed really well then changed all the substrate. When he was put back in the cage he burried himself completely and didn't eat that night. First day that he didn't eat. The next night he remained in the hole but he dug himself a opening so he could see. I fed him through that and he ate like a pig.
    The next night I dug him out and fed him imediately and everything seemed normal.
    Also, he seems to be attracted to the heat pad and his skin was nearly 90 degrees when he was sitting up against it. I unplugged it for now cause its started to warm up around here.
    All winter it has been 75-80 during the day and 72-75 at night with a humidity of 55%-90%.

Am I doing anything wrong? I felt guilty for digging him out but I knew that he would be calm down once he came out.

u scrubbed the tank with vinegar?? im not sure if thats ok to do or not?? maybe someone can correct me on that

Rattus Knits

Quote Originally Posted by habeeb View Post
    u scrubbed the tank with vinegar?? im not sure if thats ok to do or not?? maybe someone can correct me on that
    Though I'm new to frogs I know that people use vinegar for things like mice and rats who can be very sensitive to the fumes/smells of cleaners. It's similar to using bleach but a bit more safe since it's edible, but surfaces cleaned with vinegar should still be rinsed well until you can't smell it. It's too acidic for bacteria to survive so its a good cleaner, and if it's all rinsed off I would think it's fine for a froggy since people use bleach in frog cages

Ya I got the idea from this forum. I rinse until I cannot smell anymore. The frog was just very stressed I'm guessin, it even made a couple squeak noises it was so upset.

Nationality
    [United States]

I have to dig my guy out every few days to feed him. He usually squeeks at me and puffs up a bit, within a few minutes he calms down enough to eat. I figure it's better to dig him out than to starve him.

Nationality
    [United States]

Default After a cage cleaning, too mad at me to eat?

The best thing to clean with its actually just hot water. Of course you'll have to take him out.

Unless your frogs are sick, you don't have to worry about decontaminating the tanks. In the case of illness, it's much different.

Very gently scoop him into a nice safe plastic container that is dark so he feels safe. Then go ahead and clean his home. Replace him when done.

This is a great time to give him a little soak. Put his water bowl right into the plastic container with him with some nice 80'F dechlorinated water and he'll relax in his bowl while you clean.

Nice hydrated frog! Clean house to move back into .
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Nationality
    [Canada]

That's right! That's what I do, when im cleaning the cage the guy goes into nice warm bath and after im putting him in his water, this way he gets less mad.

some frogs are very sensitive to changes, any sort, so if you move that plant a 0.000001" to the right is reason good enough for them to get upset. My female pac is like that. God forbid I made her hole not to her liking or water dish is tiny bit out of place or whatever... She would rerange everything and won't rest until she does. Lol usually a day after substrate change and cleaning I have to fix that mess.
    so just try to put everything back exactly there it was. It's ok, he'll get used to.
    And I do use bleach or vinegar every few months for tank desinfection and tank cleaner I think by zilla in between.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Thread Information