Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Petco Temptation

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Default Petco Temptation

I was in Petco today and they had the most gorgeous whites tree frog. He's dark blue/green with snowflakes so he looks like a starry nighttime sky! I was so tempted to bring the little guy home but I've heard so many horror stories of health problems in Petco frogs. I made myself listen to logic instead of my heart but I hate having to leave him there. I don't think I can let myself go back to Petco for a while or I will be coming home with a froggy friend!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Petco Temptation

That sounds like snowflake morph, they are gorgeous!
    Just do a proper quarantine and you will be just fine and take pics and post here! I wanna see that beauty
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [United States]

You don't need to be scared of owning a Petco frog. Often times someone buying them who knows what they are doing (or even someone who knows enough to seek help online) can get frogs from them and they live a long healthy life. You want to look for obvious signs of neglect or injury and then point that out to a Petco employee and offer to take the frog off their hands for cheap os it can be saved. I bought a Red Eye tree frog from Petco once for $10 because it was looking poor. It perked right up after a couple days in a proper QT setup with dusted crickets.
    1.1.0 - Oophaga Pumilio 'Blue Jeans' (2014 Nicaragua Import)
    1.1.0 - Oophaga Pumilio 'Chirique Grande' F1
    1.1.0 - D. Tinctorius 'Citronella'
    1.2.0 - D. Tinctorius 'Azureus'
    0.0.2 - D. Tinctorius 'Sipaliwini'
    0.0.2 - D. Tinctorius 'New River'
    0.0.4 - D. Tinctorius 'Leucomelas'
    0.0.4 - Terribilis 'Mint'
    1.1.0 - R. Ventrimaculatus 'French Guiana'

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/hashtagfrogs
    Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgC...sEZiZQoT8sOuuw

elura

Default Petco Temptation

This is my petco boy he's been super healthy and lots of fun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

You guys are all a bunch of enablers! I had had myself all convinced that it wasn't a good idea and then I came on here

Of course I'll do a quarantine period, but there really aren't likely to be long-term affects from the poor enclosure at Petco? I know a few people have had pacmans with organ damage from the Petsmart conditions. Are whites hardy enough to survive unscathed?

Frogger00

Default Petco Temptation

Quote Originally Posted by Crispy42 View Post
    You guys are all a bunch of enablers! I had had myself all convinced that it wasn't a good idea and then I came on here

Of course I'll do a quarantine period, but there really aren't likely to be long-term affects from the poor enclosure at Petco? I know a few people have had pacmans with organ damage from the Petsmart conditions. Are whites hardy enough to survive unscathed?
    Depends on how poor the conditions are.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Conditions weren't as bad as I've seen other places. There wasn't a humidity monitor in their tank so I couldn't verify that, but about half the substrate was moist so I'm guessing it wasn't too bad.

Also he's been there less than two weeks (at most) because that's when I was there last and there was only one brown WTF in the enclosure.

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Petco Temptation

It's true, some stores don't care for their frogs well, but some do. You just have to do a good assessment of the frog... Energy level, skin condition, average body size and what the frogs species should look like, does the frog eat, is awake if diurnal and asleep during the day if he's suppose to be nocturnal, what do his tank mates look like - do they look healthy, is the tank clean?

I have found that over the years the most common ailment in chain store frogs tends to be parasites. Some parasites can be treated with Panacur or Ivermectin.

All in all, it's about what to look for and proper quarantining to monitor their health before adding them into their permanent home.
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Petco Temptation

He's a cutie! 🐸
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Conditions weren't as bad as I've seen other places. There wasn't a humidity monitor in their tank so I couldn't verify that, but about half the substrate was moist so I'm guessing it wasn't too bad.

Also he's been there less than two weeks (at most) because that's when I was there last and there was only one brown WTF in the enclosure.
    Hey Crispy42! Believe me, I know all about temptation... and sick frogs from Petco. As long as you know and understand what good frog husbandry is, and what it takes to care for one properly, then go ahead and take a chance on the little guy (or girl). My number one recommendation (other than following a proper QT) is FECAL TEST - FECAL TEST - FECAL TEST! I also recommend you find a local vet, if possible, who would be willing to run the test for you in house, or at an instate lab, as the fresher the test the better. Lots of nasties start to die off after a certain period out of the frog, some of them right away. The longer the sample has been out of the frog, even if under refrigeration, the greater chance of receiving a false-negative back.

I want to see pics too! Good luck!
    Mom to these fine frogs!
    4.4.0 White's tree frogs (Litoria caerulea): Sir Honey Lime, Bok & Choi, Martha, Shirley, Leapin' Loo and Ping & Pong; 0.2.1 Amazon Milk Frogs (Trachycephalus resinifictrix): Otto & Echo and Pip-Squeak aka Tiny
    2.0.0 South American Bird Poo Frogs (Hyla marmorata): Ribbit & Rupert

Nationality
    [Canada]

oh just get the guy, poor pretty little guy is screaming I wanna go home with you... How you can leave me here with these people? Lol yeah...

also with people who care the frogs have the more chances to live a long and happy life! And absolutely agree with quarantine, proper one with fecal test done before asap.
    On a serious note, the guy was there for less then 2 weeks, it's a cb because it's snowflake morph, it's good.
    with pacs it is different story, whites are more tolerant to different temps and humidity.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Well it looks like I'm going Petco this afternoon! Hopefully the little guy (or gal or whatever, I don't care) is still there. He's going to think he hit the jackpot in a few months when he moves into his permanent 40 gallon vertical build!

I already have a quarantine tank set up and I definitely plan on getting fecal tests. I have an exotics vet less than two miles from my house so I do have somewhere to get the fecal tests done.

Frogger00

Default Petco Temptation

Well it looks like I'm going Petco this afternoon! Hopefully the little guy (or gal or whatever, I don't care) is still there. He's going to think he hit the jackpot in a few months when he moves into his permanent 40 gallon vertical build!

I already have a quarantine tank set up and I definitely plan on getting fecal tests. I have an exotics vet less than two miles from my house so I do have somewhere to get the fecal tests done.
    Awesome! That's so exciting! I would love to see pictures and also hear more about the 40 gallon build you are doing. I am planning to upgrade my froggies to a 120 gallon tall, so I need some inspiration!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Petco Temptation

You can send fecals via mail. I'll look up the address for you when we get home. In route at present.

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Petco Temptation

I think I have extra order forms. You can print off a copy from here and just send in the sample with a check to the lab.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

If you're willing to spend money to get the frog tested (and possibly treated) I don't see a problem.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Just remember, when it comes to poo and tests, fresher is better! The longer a stool sample sits (even if refrigerated) the more likely the chance of receiving a false negative. Glad you have an exotics vet right down the road from you Mail in is definitely good for a back up for those who don't have access to a vet or local lab, but be sure to overnight that sample and include a freezer gel pack! USPS has padded overnight flat rate envelopes that you can ship for about $19, add $5 for delivery by 10:30 A.M. next day. Avoid UPS for overnighting, the charges will rob you blind! (so to speak)
    Mom to these fine frogs!
    4.4.0 White's tree frogs (Litoria caerulea): Sir Honey Lime, Bok & Choi, Martha, Shirley, Leapin' Loo and Ping & Pong; 0.2.1 Amazon Milk Frogs (Trachycephalus resinifictrix): Otto & Echo and Pip-Squeak aka Tiny
    2.0.0 South American Bird Poo Frogs (Hyla marmorata): Ribbit & Rupert

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Here's the man of the hour! I've named him James. His color is a bit lighter in the pic because of the move, but I'll take pictures once he darkens up again too.

James was in the back of the Petco enclosure today, and the salesperson had to move several of the other frogs out of the way in order to get to him. When she disturbed one frog from where he was napping on a leaf, the little guy sprung up onto the lip of the tank like "if this is the kind of service I get, I'm out of here!" So... ahem, I obliged. Meet James' brother Steve, who I also brought home:

Nationality
    [United States]

Excellent! They look great!! Congrats!!!!!
    1.1.0 - Oophaga Pumilio 'Blue Jeans' (2014 Nicaragua Import)
    1.1.0 - Oophaga Pumilio 'Chirique Grande' F1
    1.1.0 - D. Tinctorius 'Citronella'
    1.2.0 - D. Tinctorius 'Azureus'
    0.0.2 - D. Tinctorius 'Sipaliwini'
    0.0.2 - D. Tinctorius 'New River'
    0.0.4 - D. Tinctorius 'Leucomelas'
    0.0.4 - Terribilis 'Mint'
    1.1.0 - R. Ventrimaculatus 'French Guiana'

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/hashtagfrogs
    Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgC...sEZiZQoT8sOuuw

Nationality
    [Canada]

That's awesome! James is absolutely stunning! And his friend too! Im sure you will have tons of happy moments with these two! Congrats!

the pic on a leaf is great! It's like yeah, now we are talking!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information