Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Questions!! Whites Tree Frog

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Questions!! Whites Tree Frog

Hello all, I am a new member to this forum in search of answers to a few questions that I have for my tree frog, Jeremy.

I bought him at a local pet store about a month ago, and I've been working on making his tank perfect! it is far from there, but it has everything that he needs right now. I struggled for a while at keeping his humidity up, and eventually invested in a humidifier that has worked wonders! His humidity still isnt quite where id like it to be but it is better. It stays anywhere from 30-50%. His temperature is 80-85 degrees during the daytime and 70-75 degrees at night.

Here's where my questions start:

1) i am concerned that Jeremy may be sick. Ever since I got him, he never seemed to eat as much as I had expected. Ive only seen him eat twice, although I know crickets are disappearing at some points and most dont die in the tank. I feed him every other day, usually on the day that I dont feed there are crickets alive, or they may have perished in his water bowl. I dust the crickets with calcium and a multivitamin but I wonder how much is actually on him once he finally eats them. This didnt concern me too much until the last few days to a week, he hasn't been climbing much at all. When I first got him, he stayed on the glass practically all day. Now he lays in his leaf that is on the back of the glass. Maybe he just likes it, but I would think he'd still climb a lot too?

2) Next, his coloring changes quite a lot. Im aware that they are known to change colors a lot but do any colors mean specific things? He is a deep purple throughout the day most of the time. When I get him out he'll turn green or blue.

3) Ive only seen him defecate one time, and he seemed to struggle. It probably took a total of 5 minutes for him to finish and it was rather large! I have no idea how large it should be but it didn't seem normal in my opinion.

4) Jeremy acts normal when I get him out, bright eyes, hops around some, and looks content with me, but when he goes back in his tank he lays in his leaf.

5) To end with, the last two days ive noticed that he has been burrowing some. The first night he burrowed, but when I woke up he was in his leaf and his water dish had dirt in it. Last night he burrowed all night. I thought at first he was waiting for crickets, but when I went to his tank this morning, he was still there. His water dish was clean and it appeared to me that he stays in the same spot all night.

If anyone could give me information or answers to all of these questions, it would be greatly appreciated. Ive looked for answers for a while now, getting some information but not everything that I need. Im so worried about him and id love to know that he is a healthy boy. I am looking for a vet as well (hopefully I dont actually have to go there)
    Thank you so much for reading!

I tried to attach some pictures, but on both my phone and laptop, it said that the images were invalid

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Questions!! Whites Tree Frog

We are having some technical issues with the photo uploader right now. You can try uploading your images to a photo hosting site like photobucket and then link the URL via the uploader.

I am sorry your frog isn't feeling well. If you could copy/paste and answer this questionnaire it would really help us figure out what is going on Also, here is the link to the care sheet - Frog Forum - White's Tree Frog Care - Litoria caerulea

- try to answer as many questions as possible.
    - if you do not know an answer to a question say "I don't know" rather than leaving it blank.

QUESTIONS

1----what 'kind' of frog is it ( what species)
    2----please include a photo of the frog
    3----Please include a photo of the frog's current enclosure
    4----size of enclosure ( W" x D" x H" )
    5----# on inhabitants - ( if there is another frog --- is there a size difference ? )
    6----has or was the frog kept with a different species or with any other tank mate
    7----is there a new tank mate----was the new tank mate quarantined
    8----what is the typical humidity level
    9----what temperature is maintained
    10---what is, specifically, being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure
    11---describe the enclosure lighting ( very specifically)
    12---describe enclosure maintenance ( water changes, cleaning etc)
    13---what kind of water is used
    -----for misting
    -----for the frog's soaking dish
    -----is de-chlorinator used / what brand
    14---material(s) used for substrate - be very specific
    15---enclosure set up:
    -----if recent - describe how the enclosure was cleaned
    -----plants( live or artificial) if artificial plants are used are they plastic or fabric
    -----describe wood, bark , and background materials
    16---when is the last time the frog ate
    17---have you found poop lately
    18---how often is the frog fed
    19---what size feeder is given
    20---what other feeders are used as treats
    21---what is the frog's main food source
    22---do feeders roam free in the enclosure or is the frog bowl fed
    23---vitamins - what brand and how often
    24---calcium - what brand and how often
    25---was the frog without calcium for any period of time
    26---approximate age of the frog
    27---how long have you owned the frog
    28---who cared for the frog before you
    29---is the frog wild caught or captive bred
    30---how often the frog is handled -- are gloves used ( what kind of gloves)
    31---is the enclosure kept in a high or low traffic area
    30---has or was the frog properly quarantined (yes or no)
    -----for how long
    32---has the frog been treated with any medication:
    -----for what
    -----name of medication
    -----for how long
    -----what dose
    -----was medication prescribed by a herp vet
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Thank you! I will try my best to fill out the following:

1) Australian White Tree Frog
    2) LINKS DO NOT WORK, must copy and paste
    Face: http://s738.photobucket.com/user/omg...g.html?filters[user]=104933673&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=0
    Face: http://s738.photobucket.com/user/omg...g.html?filters[user]=104933673&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=5
    Body: http://s738.photobucket.com/user/omg...g.html?filters[user]=104933673&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=3
    Sitting in the leaf: http://s738.photobucket.com/user/omg...g.html?filters[user]=104933673&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=2
    *3) Tank is not totally the same as this photo, one plant added, and things have moved around some.
    http://s738.photobucket.com/user/omg...g.html?filters[user]=104933673&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=1
    4) Enclosure is a 20 gallon Tall. Not sure of specific dimensions.
    5) 1 frog
    6) Frog has always been alone
    7) no new tank mate
    8)Humidity level 30%-50%
    9)Temperature: Daytime 80-85 degrees F Nighttime 70-75 degrees F
    10) Using a heat lamp to keep temperature maintained
    11) EXO TERRA 75W Night Heat Bulb (leave on all day and night for heat) & EXO TERRA Reptile UVB 100 daylight bulb (only on during the day)
    12) Daily or every other day water changes depending on if the water has soil in it or not. Cleaning as needed, full tank clean every other week.
    13) dechlorinated water used in water dish, and daily misting (2-3 times a day) Jungle brand, Start Right
    14) Eco Earth substrate and terrarium moss from petco
    15) Fake plants, climbing vine, wood sculpture for climbing, leaf (hard plastic?), plastic log, all rinsed throughly with hot water before adding to enclosure. All decorations are made for fish, amphibians, or reptiles.
    16) frog ate one cricket today that I'm aware of.
    17) have not seen feces for at least a week
    18) frog is fed every other day or every day if no signs of eating at previous feeding.
    19) small-medium crickets
    20) no other food source. offered meal worms, not interested.
    21) crickets are the main and only food source right now.
    22) crickets roam free in enclosure
    23) Rep-Cal Herptivite Multivitamin used every feeding or every other feeding (depends on how much he eats)
    24) Flukers Calcium Powder used every feeding
    25) frog has always had calcium on crickets ever since I've had him
    26) Around 1 Year old
    27) Owned frog for about a month
    28) The pet store (petco) had frog previously
    29) Captive Bred
    30) frog is handled every day. no gloves used
    31) tank is kept in low traffic area. Cats are present, but aren't around him constantly.
    32) no medication has been used

Nationality
    [United States]

The photo links are busted. Be sure to post the "Direct" links to the photos on Photobucket. You can also click on the photo upload button and then click "From URL" and paste the direct link in there to have the photo show up in the body of the post.
    1.1.0 - Oophaga Pumilio 'Blue Jeans' (2014 Nicaragua Import)
    1.1.0 - Oophaga Pumilio 'Chirique Grande' F1
    1.1.0 - D. Tinctorius 'Citronella'
    1.2.0 - D. Tinctorius 'Azureus'
    0.0.2 - D. Tinctorius 'Sipaliwini'
    0.0.2 - D. Tinctorius 'New River'
    0.0.4 - D. Tinctorius 'Leucomelas'
    0.0.4 - Terribilis 'Mint'
    1.1.0 - R. Ventrimaculatus 'French Guiana'

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/hashtagfrogs
    Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgC...sEZiZQoT8sOuuw

Nationality
    [United States]

I am waiting for pictures, but one thing I would do is remove uneaten crickets after 24 hours and replace with new crickets. The uneaten ones can be added back to the cricket colony so they can eat and drink and be food another day.
    1.1.0 - Oophaga Pumilio 'Blue Jeans' (2014 Nicaragua Import)
    1.1.0 - Oophaga Pumilio 'Chirique Grande' F1
    1.1.0 - D. Tinctorius 'Citronella'
    1.2.0 - D. Tinctorius 'Azureus'
    0.0.2 - D. Tinctorius 'Sipaliwini'
    0.0.2 - D. Tinctorius 'New River'
    0.0.4 - D. Tinctorius 'Leucomelas'
    0.0.4 - Terribilis 'Mint'
    1.1.0 - R. Ventrimaculatus 'French Guiana'

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/hashtagfrogs
    Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgC...sEZiZQoT8sOuuw

Frogger00

Quote Originally Posted by omgitsbekahxD View Post
    Hello all, I am a new member to this forum in search of answers to a few questions that I have for my tree frog, Jeremy.

I bought him at a local pet store about a month ago, and I've been working on making his tank perfect! it is far from there, but it has everything that he needs right now. I struggled for a while at keeping his humidity up, and eventually invested in a humidifier that has worked wonders! His humidity still isnt quite where id like it to be but it is better. It stays anywhere from 30-50%. His temperature is 80-85 degrees during the daytime and 70-75 degrees at night.

Here's where my questions start:

1) i am concerned that Jeremy may be sick. Ever since I got him, he never seemed to eat as much as I had expected. Ive only seen him eat twice, although I know crickets are disappearing at some points and most dont die in the tank. I feed him every other day, usually on the day that I dont feed there are crickets alive, or they may have perished in his water bowl. I dust the crickets with calcium and a multivitamin but I wonder how much is actually on him once he finally eats them. This didnt concern me too much until the last few days to a week, he hasn't been climbing much at all. When I first got him, he stayed on the glass practically all day. Now he lays in his leaf that is on the back of the glass. Maybe he just likes it, but I would think he'd still climb a lot too? it is possible that he is sick, as these frogs are generally very voracious eaters. It's really normal for them to stay in the exact same spot throughout the entire day, but they usually become very active at night.

2) Next, his coloring changes quite a lot. Im aware that they are known to change colors a lot but do any colors mean specific things? He is a deep purple throughout the day most of the time. When I get him out he'll turn green or blue. some say dark colors mean they are stressed, but I personally don't believe that. It all depends on the environment colors, stress level, and I've even heard that males change color more frequently.

3) Ive only seen him defecate one time, and he seemed to struggle. It probably took a total of 5 minutes for him to finish and it was rather large! I have no idea how large it should be but it didn't seem normal in my opinion. I noticed in a below post that you mentioned there is moss in the tank. If the crickets are roaming freely, I would highly suggest removing the moss as it causes impaction if ingested, which may be what you are experiencing now. There are a few ways to fix this. To help him poop easy, give him a bath of water and a bit of honey. Let him soak for 15-20 minutes, and then rinse him off. To eliminate impaction in the future, you can bowl feed, tong feed, feed in a second enclosure or remove the moss and use a digestible substrate, such as something coconut based. And the size is quite shocking, but normal

4) Jeremy acts normal when I get him out, bright eyes, hops around some, and looks content with me, but when he goes back in his tank he lays in his leaf. that sounds like pretty typical of a whites. If he's not active at night, then that is most certainly a cause of concern.

5) To end with, the last two days ive noticed that he has been burrowing some. The first night he burrowed, but when I woke up he was in his leaf and his water dish had dirt in it. Last night he burrowed all night. I thought at first he was waiting for crickets, but when I went to his tank this morning, he was still there. His water dish was clean and it appeared to me that he stays in the same spot all night. when my whites were burrowing, I lowered the humidity and they stopped. Basically, just play around a bit with humidity and temperature, and maybe add more hiding spots. Burrowing can be fatal if they stay burrowed for too long.

If anyone could give me information or answers to all of these questions, it would be greatly appreciated. Ive looked for answers for a while now, getting some information but not everything that I need. Im so worried about him and id love to know that he is a healthy boy. I am looking for a vet as well (hopefully I dont actually have to go there)
    Thank you so much for reading!

I tried to attach some pictures, but on both my phone and laptop, it said that the images were invalid
    That's really awesome that you are looking for a vet. It sounds like you are doing a great job as a new froggie parent, so keep it up!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Thank you all!

I will be sure to remove the crickets and replace them then from now on! That makes me feel better knowing that he has a greater chance of getting his vitamins and calcium (:

I will try my best to get those pictures up after I get off work tomorrow

& the vet I've tried contacting should get back to me soon so I can find out if they take care of frogs. Fingers crossed!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Finally got the photos up! I hope they are helpful.

Tank:

Face:

Back:

In his leaf:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Also I must say that I put him in some warm water last night for five minutes. He ate one cricket that I'm aware of. He stayed up in his plants most of the night to sleep, got in his water bowl at some point, and has been in his plants all day that ive seen!
    Im thinking (and hoping) that maybe he's just constipated? Im going to check throughouly in his tank this evening to see if he has defacated and to remove the crickets from yesterday.
    Should I be feeding him every day right now or stick to the every other day thing?

Frogger00

Also I must say that I put him in some warm water last night for five minutes. He ate one cricket that I'm aware of. He stayed up in his plants most of the night to sleep, got in his water bowl at some point, and has been in his plants all day that ive seen!
    Im thinking (and hoping) that maybe he's just constipated? Im going to check throughouly in his tank this evening to see if he has defacated and to remove the crickets from yesterday.
    Should I be feeding him every day right now or stick to the every other day thing?
    That's good that he moved around a bit. He is quite possibly constipated. I highly suggest a honey bath. He looks a good size so every other day is probably fine.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Okay thanks! I hope that's the problem among other things that could be wrong.
    How do I prepare a honey bath?

Frogger00

Okay thanks! I hope that's the problem among other things that could be wrong.
    How do I prepare a honey bath?
    Mix about a tablespoon and warm water in a small dish, and allow the frog to soak for 15-20 minutes. Rinse the frog after. I do this for my frogs if they haven't pooped in a while and it really helps! It also brightens up the frogs color. Good luck!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Sounds easy enough (:
    How often should this be done, once a day for a few days?

Frogger00

Sounds easy enough (:
    How often should this be done, once a day for a few days?
    I only had to do it once, so I suggest trying it once and seeing how it goes. If he doesn't poop by the next day, try another bath.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Alright, thanks so much! Hopefully that does it. Ill keep posting with updates.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Thank you! I will try my best to fill out the following:

1) Australian White Tree Frog
    2) LINKS DO NOT WORK, must copy and paste
    Face: http://s738.photobucket.com/user/omg...g.html?filters[user]=104933673&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=0
    Face: http://s738.photobucket.com/user/omg...g.html?filters[user]=104933673&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=5
    Body: http://s738.photobucket.com/user/omg...g.html?filters[user]=104933673&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=3
    Sitting in the leaf: http://s738.photobucket.com/user/omg...g.html?filters[user]=104933673&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=2
    *3) Tank is not totally the same as this photo, one plant added, and things have moved around some.
    http://s738.photobucket.com/user/omg...g.html?filters[user]=104933673&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=1
    4) Enclosure is a 20 gallon Tall. Not sure of specific dimensions.
    5) 1 frog
    6) Frog has always been alone
    7) no new tank mate
    8)Humidity level 30%-50% 30% is too low; 50% is a good average. Invest in a good digital humidity gauge/hygrometer.
    9)Temperature: Daytime 80-85 degrees F Nighttime 70-75 degrees F temps are fine
    10) Using a heat lamp to keep temperature maintained
    11) EXO TERRA 75W Night Heat Bulb (leave on all day and night for heat) & EXO TERRA Reptile UVB 100 daylight bulb (only on during the day) Are you cycling 12 hrs on and 12 hrs off?
    12) Daily or every other day water changes depending on if the water has soil in it or not. Cleaning as needed, full tank clean every other week. Change water daily
    13) dechlorinated water used in water dish, and daily misting (2-3 times a day) Jungle brand, Start Right
    14) Eco Earth substrate and terrarium moss from petco GET RID OF THE MOSS! Huge ingestion/impaction risk for these guys.
    15) Fake plants, climbing vine, wood sculpture for climbing, leaf (hard plastic?), plastic log, all rinsed throughly with hot water before adding to enclosure. All decorations are made for fish, amphibians, or reptiles.
    16) frog ate one cricket today that I'm aware of.
    17) have not seen feces for at least a week
    18) frog is fed every other day or every day if no signs of eating at previous feeding.
    19) small-medium crickets
    20) no other food source. offered meal worms, not interested. Mealworms are bad for tree frogs; try dubia roaches & small night crawlers; waxworms on occasion. Hornworms have been known to help constipated frogs(tricky to keep, grow super fast & spendy)
    21) crickets are the main and only food source right now.
    22) crickets roam free in enclosure Feed with tongs or use a feeder bowl
    23) Rep-Cal Herptivite Multivitamin used every feeding or every other feeding (depends on how much he eats) Use Cal/Vit D3 once a week, and a Multi-Vit once a week but NOT on the same day/at the same feeding
    24) Flukers Calcium Powder used every feeding
    25) frog has always had calcium on crickets ever since I've had him
    26) Around 1 Year old
    27) Owned frog for about a month
    28) The pet store (petco) had frog previously
    29) Captive Bred
    30) frog is handled every day. no gloves used Frogs are known to be a "Look More - Touch Less" type of pet; White's can take handling better than many species, but it should be kept to a minimum and only on occasion. I do think a hand tamed frog is easier to feed, medicate, and move to transport, but I don't think it should be over done or for more than a few minutes at a time. USE GLOVES. I noticed you have scratches on your hand, you don't want to transmit anything between the frog and you or you and the frog... if you have medication on your cuts it could very easily poison your frog. Look for Nitrile powder free/latex free examination gloves or the plastic kind used by deli workers.
    31) tank is kept in low traffic area. Cats are present, but aren't around him constantly.
    32) no medication has been used
    Highly recommend you get your frog fecal tested when you are able to obtain a good fresh sample; if your frog is constipated I would try a warm (barely warm to your touch, check on wrist) bath with 3-4 drops of NATURAL real honey per cup (8 oz) of water. Make sure water goes up to frogs chin when he is sitting up, leave in bath (attended) for appx. 20 minutes then bathe him in warm bath, minus the honey, for a rinse. If he poops in the water and it's solid, fish it out right away and deposit it in a clean ziplock baggy. Write the time and date of the collection then put it in the fridge to save for the test.

Oh and welcome to FrogForum! Lol Hope we are able to help you get your froggle feeling tip top again!

Mom to these fine frogs!
    4.4.0 White's tree frogs (Litoria caerulea): Sir Honey Lime, Bok & Choi, Martha, Shirley, Leapin' Loo and Ping & Pong; 0.2.1 Amazon Milk Frogs (Trachycephalus resinifictrix): Otto & Echo and Pip-Squeak aka Tiny
    2.0.0 South American Bird Poo Frogs (Hyla marmorata): Ribbit & Rupert

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

What do they rest for in fecals? I work at a small animal hospital but we dont do exotics. Could we do the fecals sample or does it have to be done somewhere else? I will definitely try the honey bath tonight, hopefully it works (:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

What do they rest for in fecals? I work at a small animal hospital but we dont do exotics. Could we do the fecals sample or does it have to be done somewhere else? I will definitely try the honey bath tonight, hopefully it works (:
    If your clinic tests in house-- perfect! You'll be looking for strongloides, hook worms, roundworms, and protozoa (coccidia and giardia) primarily. Frogs have their own species specific types, of course, the same way cats and dogs and other creatures do, but you should be able to identify them easily enough. Would suggest a float to look for eggs, as well as a smear test, if you can get enough feces. Some of these guys go BIG so you might not have an issue with that, a gram of poo should do. Definitely looking forward to seeing your results if you do the test at your clinci, I'm trying to learn up on how to run my own tests as well, as a fresh test is much better than a week old refrigerated poo sent to a lab across the country!
    Mom to these fine frogs!
    4.4.0 White's tree frogs (Litoria caerulea): Sir Honey Lime, Bok & Choi, Martha, Shirley, Leapin' Loo and Ping & Pong; 0.2.1 Amazon Milk Frogs (Trachycephalus resinifictrix): Otto & Echo and Pip-Squeak aka Tiny
    2.0.0 South American Bird Poo Frogs (Hyla marmorata): Ribbit & Rupert

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Great! I'll be bringing a fecal sample to work then once I am able to obtain one (:
    I had no idea that frogs could have the same thing as a cat or dog, although it makes sense, I just never thought about it.
    Usually worms cause cats/dogs to have diarrhea, not get constipated. Is it possible that my frog has some type of worms that cause constipation? (assuming he is, anyway)
    And if his next movement is like his last, I will definitely have enough to test it haha So it is normal for them to have a large amount of feces all at once? Also how often are they supposed to have a movement? He is my first frog (aside from when I was very young) and I don't know what normal is in that aspect.

I know there have to be many way to do this, but basically all we do to prepare a fecal test is mix "Fecal Float Solution" with a small fecal sample in a disposable cup. We put gauze over the cup and "strain" the sample into a tube (big pieces are blocked by gauze leaving only liquid in the tube.) Fill the rest of the tube with the solution, put a glass slide on top (being sure that the solution is slightly "bubbled" at the top so the slide collects whatever may be there) and put it in the spinner. At the other clinic we do the same process, but without the spinner. Either work fine as long as you give at least 10 minutes to sit which allows time for eggs, ect, to float to the top. They then stick to the glass slide which is put under the microscope to analyze. Simple, but you must have the right equipment.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

IrThumper, just realized that you commented on my Answers!

I've been trying my best to keep his humidity at 50% but I don't know the best way to do so. I leave the humidifier on pretty much all day and all night. It does best on full blast, but I'm not always home to add water to it, So when I'm gone I keep it on the low setting to make sure there is still water when I come back.

I do cycle 12 hours on and 12 hours off, or as close to that as possible. Most days I get up around the same time so the cycle is pretty close to the same times.

As for the moss, I was told that is was good for their humidity ): I will take it out asap!

I'm unsure whether I can find those other kinds of insects, but I will look at my local pet store and see. I forgot to put that I've offered earthworms. He wasn't interested in those either so I'm not sure if he'd be interested in any other worms. He must be picky.

Are there specific kinds of feeder bowls? Crickets would jump out of regular ones.

I was also told to use calcium at every feeding. Multivitamin 2-3 times a week. Is this wrong?

Lastly, my frog enjoys being handled, so I do get him out for a little while to let him sit on my arm or shoulder. Not always every day, but I try to give him some time out of the tank- he sure enjoys it! When I try to put him back, he'll climb up my arm to avoid going back in the tank. The only other time I handle him is to put him at the bottom of the tank so he knows when feeding time is. I do not put lotion on or any medication on my hands unless it is after I handle my frog. I get cuts/scratches/bites quite often since I work with animals pretty much every day so if I have an open wound I make sure that he doesn't have contact with it as well as practice good hygiene. Thanks for your input and concerns!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information