Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EMERGENCY: White's Tree Frog VERY SICK--may not make it thru next 24hrs

caerulia

Exclamation EMERGENCY: White's Tree Frog VERY SICK--may not make it thru next 24hrs

I've got 3 white's tree frogs in a large/tall vivarium with lots to climb on & a water feature. I've had them for over a year in the same setting & I do a complete break-down of the enclosure every 3 months and replenish with fresh/dechlorinated water every few days. One of my frogs has not eaten in 5 days, though food has been offered. The toes on its back feet are very stiff & it seems unable to move its feet. Its thighs & belly are VERY swollen, as if with water. Today abnormal white spots appeared on its dorsal area & I wiped an old shed skin off of it that had been clinging on for a couple of days now. It is also very lethargic & when flipped over it tries to right itself but is unable. Worst of all--I'm a dead broke college student, unable to take it to a vet until the 1st of the month, at which point I'm sure it will already be dead unless someone can PLEASE HELP ME!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Frogger00

Default EMERGENCY: White's Tree Frog VERY SICK--may not make it thru next 24hrs

Possibly sounds like edema? Do you have pics?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: EMERGENCY: White's Tree Frog VERY SICK--may not make it thru next 24hrs

Hello, Caerulea... sorry your frog is not well!

I know you are anxious to get help, but answering these questions will help folks here to figure out just what the problem might be:

QUESTIONS

1----what 'kind' of frog is it ( what species)
    2----please include a photo of the frog
    3----Please include a photo of the frog's current enclosure
    4----size of enclosure ( W" x D" x H" )
    5----# on inhabitants - ( if there is another frog --- is there a size difference ? )
    6----has or was the frog kept with a different species or with any other tank mate
    7----is there a new tank mate----was the new tank mate quarantined
    8----what is the typical humidity level
    9----what temperature is maintained
    10---what is, specifically, being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure
    11---describe the enclosure lighting ( very specifically)
    12---describe enclosure maintenance ( water changes, cleaning etc)
    13---what kind of water is used
    -----for misting
    -----for the frog's soaking dish
    -----is de-chlorinator used / what brand
    14---material(s) used for substrate - be very specific
    15---enclosure set up:
    -----if recent - describe how the enclosure was cleaned
    -----plants( live or artificial) if artificial plants are used are they plastic or fabric
    -----describe wood, bark , and background materials
    16---when is the last time the frog ate
    17---have you found poop lately
    18---how often is the frog fed
    19---what size feeder is given
    20---what other feeders are used as treats
    21---what is the frog's main food source
    22---do feeders roam free in the enclosure or is the frog bowl fed
    23---vitamins - what brand and how often
    24---calcium - what brand and how often
    25---was the frog without calcium for any period of time
    26---approximate age of the frog
    27---how long have you owned the frog
    28---who cared for the frog before you
    29---is the frog wild caught or captive bred
    30---how often the frog is handled -- are gloves used ( what kind of gloves)
    31---is the enclosure kept in a high or low traffic area
    30---has or was the frog properly quarantined (yes or no)
    -----for how long
    32---has the frog been treated with any medication:
    -----for what
    -----name of medication
    -----for how long
    -----what dose
    -----was medication prescribed by a herp vet

My recommendation for now is to get your afflicted frog into a quarantine enclosure by itself. A 10 gallon tank would be ideal, use plain white damp paper towels for substrate and provide fake plants to hide in and a dish of water that will reach up to your frogs chin. Keep him somewhere quiet where his temps will be close to 75-80F and make sure his paper towels don't dry out but aren't soggy.

There are many different reasons a frog might be bloated or have problems moving his limbs. I'm not sure about these white spots... did they come off when you removed the unshed skin? Did they seem to be a secretion? A frog can tox-out, or be constipated, impacted, or have disease...

I know these questions are in the list up above, but when is the last time you saw your frog poop? (Would be hard to determine in a community tank unless you actually saw it) What is your substrate? Do you dust the crickets with Calcium/D3 powder and a multi-vitamin? What do you clean the tank with?

Other than moving him into a hospital tank I would give him a warm honey soak-- dechlor water, just barely warm to the touch, 3-4 drops of NATURAL real honey per cup of water... the water level should reach the frogs chin when he is sitting up. If he is unable to maintain and upright position or has paralysis I would support him in the water with your hand. Soak him for twenty minutes then rinse him off with barely warm fresh dechlor water to get the honey off. If he is just constipated this will often help the frog poop, usually while they are still in the water. 5 days is not a hugely long time for a frog to not eat, but with the other symptoms it is a concern, you could try using Fluker's Repta Boost to get some nutrients into him.

Please answer the questions up above, thanks! Hope your frog pulls through!
    Mom to these fine frogs!
    4.4.0 White's tree frogs (Litoria caerulea): Sir Honey Lime, Bok & Choi, Martha, Shirley, Leapin' Loo and Ping & Pong; 0.2.1 Amazon Milk Frogs (Trachycephalus resinifictrix): Otto & Echo and Pip-Squeak aka Tiny
    2.0.0 South American Bird Poo Frogs (Hyla marmorata): Ribbit & Rupert

caerulia

Default Re: EMERGENCY: White's Tree Frog VERY SICK--may not make it thru next 24hrs

QUESTIONS

1----what 'kind' of frog is it ( what species) Australian White's Tree Frog
    2----please include a photo of the frog
    3----Please include a photo of the frog's current enclosure
    4----size of enclosure ( W" x D" x H" 17"x17"x24"
    5----# on inhabitants - ( if there is another frog --- is there a size difference ? ) 3-same species-same size
    6----has or was the frog kept with a different species or with any other tank mate no
    7----is there a new tank mate----was the new tank mate quarantined no/no
    8----what is the typical humidity level humidity meter broke / mist 3-4 x daily
    9----what temperature is maintained about 85 degrees
    10---what is, specifically, being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure NatGeo uva & uvb basking bulb
    11---describe the enclosure lighting ( very specifically) 1 bulb directly over center of enclosure above mesh top, fake plants attached to inside of top mesh to dilute the heat coming in, on a timer 8am-8pm
    12---describe enclosure maintenance ( water changes, cleaning, etc) complete break-down every 3 months & fresh dechlorinated water added every 3-4 days
    13---what kind of water is used dechlorinate water in mister and in tank (API tap water conditioner)
    -----for misting
    -----for the frog's soaking dish
    -----is de-chlorinator used / what brand
    14---material(s) used for substrate - be very specific small river rocks on top of mesh on top of clay balls for filtration
    15---enclosure set up water feature using a filter as a pump, lots of grape vine wood pieces, lots of frog moss, hanging moss balls & hanging wood
    -----if recent - describe how the enclosure was cleaned cleaned 1 month ago--everything taken out and scrubbed/rinsed (no chemicals)
    -----plants( live or artificial) if artificial plants are used are they plastic or fabric
    -----describe wood, bark , and background materials
    16---when is the last time the frog at 6 days ago (giant mealworm
    17---have you found poop lately no
    18---how often is the frog fed every other day (longer if given a pinkie mouse)
    19---what size feeder is given large crickets, giant mealworms, superworms, wax worms, occassionally a tiny pinkie mouse
    20---what other feeders are used as treats none
    21---what is the frog's main food source I mix it up, but mostly mealworms (which I now am stopping because I now know the issues it can cause)
    22---do feeders roam free in the enclosure or is the frog bowl fed fed by hand--I put the item in my palm & they eat it
    23---vitamins - what brand and how often none
    24---calcium - what brand and how often Fluker's calcium w/vitamin D
    25---was the frog without calcium for any period of time no
    26---approximate age of the frog 1-2 yrs
    27---how long have you owned the frog 15 months
    28---who cared for the frog before you PetSmart
    29---is the frog wild caught or captive bred captive bred
    30---how often the frog is handled -- are gloves used ( what kind of gloves maybe once a week for a few seconds (wash hands before/no gloves)
    31---is the enclosure kept in a high or low traffic area low traffic in corner of room
    30---has or was the frog properly quarantined (yes or no) no--no light/heat source available for a quarantine tank
    -----for how long
    32---has the frog been treated with any medication: no
    -----for what
    -----name of medication
    -----for how long
    -----what dose
    -----was medication prescribed by a herp vet

I did the honey water soak last night before I saw your suggestion on my thread (I'd found it elsewhere). I did it last night exactly as you said eventho I hadn't seen your suggestion yet. I had to hold his chin up during the honey soak last night because he was so weak. His back thighs were so swollen that I thought the skin might actually burst open--this morning there was almost no swelling in the thighs ...His belly is still a bit swollen, back legs are still stiff and he's still lethargic. The white spots were gone this morning, too. He was sitting in the same spot in the open that I left him last night eventho the basking bulb had been on for an hour already. I did another honey soak this morning & didn't have to hold his chin up this time. I put him in a shady spot that isnt too moist but not too dry, either. I'm considering giving him some ReptiBoost today. No longer going to feed them mealworms or superworms. I also did a water change last night, rinsed the whole enclosure, and scrubbed/rinsed all of the props before I did the honey water soak.

**NOT ABLE TO ADD PICTURES BECAUSE IT KEEPS SAYING "NOT A VALID FILE" EVENTHO ITS A .JPG

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

For starters, the tank is very small for 3 whites tree frogs. They also appear to have a very fatty diet. A picture would be very helpful in figuring out what is going on. Sounds like edema, but not sure of the cause. Is the heat bulb off at night time?
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

Nationality
    [United States]

Yes, I would agree that a picture would help a lot, both of the enclosure and of the frog.
    “Life is a journey, not a destination.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson

caerulia

As I said before, it will not allow me to post an image. I have saved the images as a .jpg but every time I try to upload them, the page says "this is not a valid image file".
    This is the best I can do--its a link to an image of a person standing by the tank that I have for size comparison
    http://i.ytimg.com/vi/xX_spcxAV14/maxresdefault.jpg

Also, they do not have a fatty diet. They get wax worms maybe once or twice every couple of months and they get one giant mealworm or superworm every other day. They get tiny pinkie mice maybe once every couple of months and they are not fed for 3-4 days afterward. When I feed them crickets they get 2 every other day. The food items are always dusted with the Fluker's calcium with vitamin D3 & they do not eat off of the substrate to prevent them ingesting foreign materials

I also already stated that the uva/uvb bulb is on a timer from 8am-8pm

Frogger00

Honestly, you sound like you are doing a pretty good job with your frogs. A lot of people just jump right into this hobby without any research whatsoever, but your frogs are being well taken care of. Sure, there is a few small errors that others have pointed out, but These get fixed along the way. We all make some mistakes in the hobby, but I feel you should be congratulated for the things you are doing right. Honey baths are really helpful. I would continue with them if it seems to be helping. I also like to give my frogs a variety in diet. Wouldn't it be boring to eat the same thing all the time? Good on you.

caerulia

Thanks! Through all my research last night I discovered that frogs can get impacted from all the chitin in the mealworm/superworm skin, so I will be limiting that to an every once-in-a-while food item and giving them mostly crickets instead. I don't like giving them crickets so much simply because they die so quickly before I can feed them all out & its money down the drain. But I'm planning to get a different substrate so that I can just toss all the crickets in once a week and they can have fun without me worrying about them eating small rocks or moss. I'm simply not understanding how my tank is too small for 3 frogs. I think that's a matter of opinion. Personally, I don't see how almost 7,000 inches of space is too small. They have tons of props and even hanging props so that they can utilize the whole space, too, not just the walls and floor. And they've been in this setting for over a year so I also don't see how it affects my frog's current condition/

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I'm trying to clarify things to get an idea of what is going on. A lot of us have multiple bulbs/lamps/heaters etc on the tank so I was just clarifying that I was reading correctly, that there was only one bulb and it was only on for 12 hours. What is the night time temps when it is off? Big temp swings could contribute to issues.

If you would like to send me a picture so that I can try to post it for you, feel free to pm me and I will give you my email address.

As for the fatty diet, yes the diet has been fatty. Mealworms are fatty and you said that is the main food source. (I did read that you will be changing it up, but that's what it says.) Waxworms are fatty, super worms are fatty, pinkie mice are very fatty. When you wrote that no feeders were being used as treats, I assumed all of these were regular foods other than the mice that you specified were occasional. Primary food source should be roaches, crickets, or night crawlers (can get them at walmart, make sure they are night crawlers and not earthworms.) I'm thinking there might be an obesity issue, we've seen it here before, but without a picture I can't assume that.

I'm sorry your frog isn't feeling well, hopefully we can get this figured out.

caerulia

I have an image of the BMI scale for tree frogs and mine are a bit plump but not classified as obese. I am a zookeeper and the zoo where I work feeds our frogs the same thing that I feed my frogs and they aren't obese, either. I cannot get roaches because they spray for pesticides almost everywhere in my city and my frogs refuse to eat earthworms. And I don't get crickets often because out of a bag of 20 I usually only get to feed out maybe 8 and the rest die eventho they have access to cricket gel and cubes. I only feed them one mealworm/superworm every other day, which gives them 36 hours to completely digest that item before they are fed again, which is why they aren't obese. At night the house gets no colder than 76 degrees. I would ask our herps supervisor for help with these issues but she is mostly unapproachable these days because she's also the general curator and is very busy running the zoo. I don't think you'll have an more luck with the pictures than I do--they comply with the proper file type and file size but simply won't load.

Frogger00

I just wanted to say that while pinkies are a bit fatty, they are also an excellent source of calcium.

I would agree with what was said above, in that:
    a) 3 white's in an 18x18x24 is too many. It is way too large of a frog to cramp into that small space. 2 would be the max I would keep i that size enclosure. Matter of opinion? Yup, but most long term keepers agree on this. However, it is highly unlikely that over crowding is causing the issue with the frog.

B) poor diet. Too much fat, too much chitin.

You never mentioned, is the frog in a quarantine tank? Have you had a fecal exam done, or planning to do one? The one thing that concerns me is that you said you wiped an incomplete shed off the frog that was on there "for several days". Normally, incomplete sheds are due to a lack of humidity in the enclosure. Seems like there are multiple issues going on. Pics would definitely be helpful. Get pics to Amy ASAP to have them uploaded, or grab tapatalk and upload them via that. There are no issues with uploading via tapatalk.

Education is the most powerful weapon we can use to change the world ~ Nelson Mandela
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    1.0.0 Tabby/Maine Coon Mix
    2.1.0 Genetics Experiments
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Nationality
    [United States]

Use photobucket.com for pictures if it doesn't work. I just posted some pictures today. Just upload to photobucket, and then click on the "IMG" link to the right of the uploaded picture and paste it into the post.
    “Life is a journey, not a destination.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson

caerulia

Angry Re: EMERGENCY: White's Tree Frog VERY SICK--may not make it thru next 24hrs

A poor diet would be only feeding them the same thing constantly with no variety & no supplements. And I don't understand how one little 3" frog can make that big of a difference in a tank--did you even look at the picture in the link that I posted? The tank is plenty large. My frogs have been in the same enclosure with the same varied diet for over a year now--neither of those things are the cause of the health issues. So, can you please stop being so rude & accusing me of being a terrible pet parent and actually focus on the frikn issue that I am asking about??

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Everybody here IS focusing on the issue and trying to help you. You are so concerned with not being labeled with having done anything wrong that you are refusing to accept any advice or help. We ALL have made mistakes, that doesn't make us poor pet parents. What makes a poor pet parent is refusing to take advice from people who have been in the hobby a long time and put the research in.

18. 2 members thank LilyPad for this post:

caerulia

[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]

​PHOTOBUCKET WORKED THANKS!!

caerulia

Well just as soon as you stop criticizing me and actually give me some advice then I will be glad to take it into serious consideration. However, telling me that I'm feeding a "poor diet", when I've already mentioned that I'll no longer be using mealworms as a main food item, and saying that the enclosure is too small, when its the only enclosure I've got aren't actually considered "advice"--its simply criticism. Now if you would like to actually give me some of that advice that you previously mentioned then I would be very grateful!

Quote Originally Posted by caerulia View Post
    A poor diet would be only feeding them the same thing constantly with no variety & no supplements. And I don't understand how one little 3" frog can make that big of a difference in a tank--did you even look at the picture in the link that I posted? The tank is plenty large. My frogs have been in the same enclosure with the same varied diet for over a year now--neither of those things are the cause of the health issues. So, can you please stop being so rude & accusing me of being a terrible pet parent and actually focus on the frikn issue that I am asking about??
    Excuse me? I was being far from rude. You really do not want me to be rude, trust me. I also said that I didn't believe the issue was caused by over crowding. Lose the tunnel vision and maybe you will see people HAVE been trying to help you. But I no longer will. I hope your frog makes it, I really do. Good luck.

Education is the most powerful weapon we can use to change the world ~ Nelson Mandela
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    1.0.0 Tabby/Maine Coon Mix
    2.1.0 Genetics Experiments
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

caerulia

I don't have tunnel vision--I am just very frustrated that people are focusing on things that aren't actually related to my frog's issues. He most likely has edema--now how the heck do I fix it? Do I just keep doing the honey water soaks? Anybody actually care to help??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information