Thread: New to frogs and need help

stormwoolf

Default New to frogs and need help

So i bought my first pacman frog from petsmart about a month ago and his name is Rikish. In the month i have had Rikishi he has only pooped once and i have never seen him eat but a few times i left a roach in his cage and when i went to look for the roach it was gone, i dug through the dirt and everything. So if he ate those then he ate 2 or 3 times on his own and i actually force fed him once but i didnt really force him to eat it, once the roach was in his mouth he almost took off my finger trying to eat it.
    His humidity is about 70%-80% and he has a heat mat that dont cover the whole tub so he has the option of a warm and cool side. He has eco earth cocnut fiber substrate that stays wet (not soaked but damp) and he has a little pool. Hes about the size of half i iphone 4, mabye slightly smaller.
    Any idea why he wont eat or use the bathroom?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: New to frogs and need help

Hi and welcome!

would you please answer all of the questions below and make sure you post pics of both a frog and enclosure. This will help us to help you better. Thank you

1. Size of enclosure
    2. # of inhabitants - specifically other frogs and size differences
    3. Humidity
    4. Temperature
    5. Water - type - for both misting and soaking dish
    6. Materials used for substrate
    7. Enclosure set up i.e. plants (live or artificial), wood, bark and other materials.
    - How were things prepared prior to being put into the viv.
    8. Main food source
    9. Vitamins and calcium? (how often)
    10. Lighting
    11. What is being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure
    12. When is the last time he/she ate
    13. Have you found poop lately
    14. A pic would be helpful including frog and enclosure (any including cell phone pic is fine)
    15. Describe frog's symptoms and/or recent physical changes; to include it's ventral/belly area.
    16. How old is the frog
    17. How long have you owned him/her
    18. Is the frog wild caught or captive bred
    19. Frog food- how often and if it is diverse, what other feeders are used as treats
    20. How often the frog is handled
    21. Is the enclosure kept in a high or low traffic area
    22. Describe enclosure maintenance (water changes, cleaning, etc)
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

stormwoolf

Quote Originally Posted by Lija View Post
    Hi and welcome!

would you please answer all of the questions below and make sure you post pics of both a frog and enclosure. This will help us to help you better. Thank you
    1. Size of enclosure
    It’s a tub that is 12 inches long and 7 inches wide
    2. # of inhabitants - specifically other frogs and size differences
    3. Humidity
    70%-80%
    4. Temperature
    80 on the warm side and 70 on the cool side
    5. Water - type - for both misting and soaking dish
    Filtered tap water
    6. Materials used for substrate
    Eco earth coconut fiber
    7. Enclosure set up i.e. plants (live or artificial), wood, bark and other materials.
    1 artificial plant, water dish, substrate
    - How were things prepared prior to being put into the viv.
    I got the supplies the same day I got him so things were not prepared
    8. Main food source
    Dubia roaches or night crawlers (if he eats)
    9. Vitamins and calcium? (how often)
    Repticalcium. Iv dust all his roaches but he’s only eaten like 3 in the month iv had him
    10. Lighting
    None, the light my windows provide.
    11. What is being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure
    Heat mat
    12. When is the last time he/she ate
    I think 2 weeks ago
    13. Have you found poop lately
    About 3 weeks ago
    14. A pic would be helpful including frog and enclosure (any including cell phone pic is fine)
    15. Describe frog's symptoms and/or recent physical changes; to include it's ventral/belly area.
    He wont eat or poop
    16. How old is the frog
    Not sure, I got him as a baby from petsmart
    17. How long have you owned him/her
    1 month
    18. Is the frog wild caught or captive bred
    Captive from PetSamrt
    19. Frog food- how often and if it is diverse, what other feeders are used as treats
    none
    20. How often the frog is handled
    Maybe every 4 days I will put him in warm water and search his cage to see if he ate his roaches
    21. Is the enclosure kept in a high or low traffic area
    Its by my door way in my room, id say medium traffic
    22. Describe enclosure maintenance (water changes, cleaning, etc)
    I spot cleaned the one poop I found a few weeks ago. In the next week or 2 I might put new substrate in (clean substrate).
    Is this all good?
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Nationality
    [Canada]

So with ff being on and off was had to reply sooner.
    Very pretty frog may I say! Congrats!

Your temp is a bit off. In between both sides it has to be at 80-82 day and 76-78 night. I suggest you get digital gauges ( 7-8$ combo at Walmart, in home thermometers, etc section) to make sure your reading are correct.

Water - filtered tap is no good, you need to get water conditioner and use it. Any fish tank conditioner will do, I use prime by seachem.

you also need to get multivitamins and use it once a week on a separate day. And your ca/vit d3 every second days. That is provided the guy eats.

now keys figure out why he is not eating. A few things here. First of all correct what needs to, especially temp.
    Second get crickets, see what he thinks of them. Usually what's what they feed Pacman frogs in a stores, so he might be used to them, but not roaches/nighcrawlers. See how it'll go.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

stormwoolf

Thank you for the info, i went to petsmart and got him some small crickets and he ate 3 all on his own. Can you give me a brand of multivitamins i need to get because i only have zoomed repti calcium and repashy bearded dragon cacium of my dragons. I though filtered water was good but i will now start adding reptisafe to his water. I have a temp gun i use but i think your right and i need a digital thermometer.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Temp gun is great! I use it all the time, just take a measurements from a distance aiming to the centre of a tank, you know how it works

great, now you know is eating, I bet he was wondering why are you starving him lol get more then 3 small crickets, I bet he can eat at least 5-10 of them every day, try a bit bigger then small too, the size of a food equal the distance between eyes is a guidline for a babies. Just make sure you gut load these crickets to add some nutritional value to them.

multivitamins - any brand, repashy, Exo terra, zoomed, whatever you can find., as long as it says multivitamins for reptiles and amphibians you are good. They are needed to supplement your beardie too.

stormwoolf

Ok thank you. The reason I only fed him 3 crickets is because that's what pet smart said they fed him every day and he looked fat and healthy. I'll start feeding him more.
    Also he went to the bathroom so I think everything is great now.

Thread Information