Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fruit Flies - What do you use

Default Fruit Flies - What do you use

Hey everybody,

Asked this question on our Facebook page and thought we would ask it here to. What do you use with your Fruit Fly cultures and why? Excelsior, coffee filters, mesh or another product?
    Curious what everybody prefers...

https://www.facebook.com/VivariumsIn...type=1&theater

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I use coffee filters and rattan. I'll be trying out a mesh on some new cultures this week.

Education is the most powerful weapon we can use to change the world ~ Nelson Mandela
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    1.0.0 Tabby/Maine Coon Mix
    2.1.0 Genetics Experiments
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Fruit Flies - What do you use

I've been using a left over roll of "deer block" / mesh barrier ( home depot or agway )
    Originally purchased to cover some berry bushes in the yard.

It's actually working really well, and will last forever.
    I'm on my 3rd week in a row of cultures batches ....no problems

I'm sick of vacuuming up the excelsior mess

Current Collection
    Dendrobates leucomelas - standard morph
    Dendrobates auratus “Costa Rican Green Black"
    Dendrobates auratus "Pena Blanca"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “New River”
    Dendrobates tinctorius "Green Sipaliwini"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “Powder Blue"
    Dendrobates tinctorius "French Guiana Dwarf Cobalt"

Phyllobates terribilis “Mint”
    Phyllobates terribilis "Orange"
    Phyllobates bicolor "Uraba"

Oophaga pumilio "Black Jeans"
    Oophaga pumilio "Isla Popa"
    Oophaga pumilio "Bastimentos"
    Oophaga pumilio “Mimbitimbi”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Colubre"
    Oophaga pumilio "Red Frog Beach”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Branco"
    Oophaga pumilio “Valle del Rey”
    Oophaga pumilio "BriBri"
    Oophaga pumilio "El Dorado"
    Oophaga pumilio "Cristobal"
    Oophaga pumilio "Rambala"

Oophaga “Vicentei” (blue)

Oophaga sylvatica "Paru"
    Oophaga sylvatica "Pata Blanca"
    Oophaga histrionica “Redhead”
    Oophaga histrionica "Blue"
    Oophaga lehmanni "Red"
    Oophaga histrionica "Tado"

Ranitomeya variabilis "Southern"
    Ranitomeya imitator "Varadero"
    Ranitomeya sirensis "Lower Ucayali"
    Ranitomeya vanzolinii

http://www.fernsfrogs.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ferns.frogs

packer43064

When I used to make cultures it was excelsior.

I'm sick of excelisor too, honestly I would give up a little production for less mess, but just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by flybyferns View Post
    I've been using a left over roll of "deer block" / mesh barrier ( home depot or agway )
    Originally purchased to cover some berry bushes in the yard.

It's actually working really well, and will last forever.
    I'm on my 3rd week in a row of cultures batches ....no problems

I'm sick of vacuuming up the excelsior mess

Nationality
    [United States]

I have been using excelsior, but like many others I am tired of vacuuming up the mess and picking the excelsior pieces out of the flies I am going to dump into the frog tanks. I found a nylon mesh online and have used it for the last couple weeks to setup cultures. So far it looks like it is working great. I will keep testing this and let you all know.
    1.1.0 - Oophaga Pumilio 'Blue Jeans' (2014 Nicaragua Import)
    1.1.0 - Oophaga Pumilio 'Chirique Grande' F1
    1.1.0 - D. Tinctorius 'Citronella'
    1.2.0 - D. Tinctorius 'Azureus'
    0.0.2 - D. Tinctorius 'Sipaliwini'
    0.0.2 - D. Tinctorius 'New River'
    0.0.4 - D. Tinctorius 'Leucomelas'
    0.0.4 - Terribilis 'Mint'
    1.1.0 - R. Ventrimaculatus 'French Guiana'

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/hashtagfrogs
    Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgC...sEZiZQoT8sOuuw

Definitely, keep us posted Paul. Very interested in how mesh is working out for others. I'll let you know how I like it also.

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalPunk View Post
    I have been using excelsior, but like many others I am tired of vacuuming up the mess and picking the excelsior pieces out of the flies I am going to dump into the frog tanks. I found a nylon mesh online and have used it for the last couple weeks to setup cultures. So far it looks like it is working great. I will keep testing this and let you all know.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Vivariums In The Mist View Post
    Definitely, keep us posted Paul. Very interested in how mesh is working out for others. I'll let you know how I like it also.
    I setup a 2nd round of cultures this week using the same mesh but added more to the culture this time. Just want to see how the flies use it with the jar half full versus 3/4 full of mesh. Hoping we all have luck with the mesh! Would love for my cultures to become 100% reusable.

Currently I use 32oz Glass Mason Jars and Green Scour pads for the vented lids. Hoping the Mesh will work and I can rinse it off and get multiple uses out of it.

Sounds good, it seems promising!

Nationality
    [United States]

It's important for me to have something that I can throw into the compost bin.

After trying a few things, I use both coffee filters and excelsior in a modified manner.
    (Maybe someone else has posted this before but I'm not sure.)

I tried excelsior alone and it worked but was tired of the bits falling out into the flies when feeding and also having liquid in older cultures coming out.

I tried coffee filters alone and the yield was lower and also they cultures would eat them....especially the hydei cultures where the filters would turn to mush.

I tried combining them with the filter in the bottom and the the excelsior, but this still led to problems with bits of excelsior falling out.

The solution I found that works best for me was to use both, but to invert the set up and also cut a hole in the center of the coffee filters as well:

- Take 3 coffee filters, stack and fold in quarters and snip off the point by 1/2 inch to 1 inch.
    - Unfold the filter stack and put a baseball sized ball of excelsior in the center. The filter paper stack is like a cup (looks like cupcake liner) around the excelsior.
    - Invert this and put in container with media, pressing until it touches the media.

The flies emerge from the hole in the center of the filter. The filter acts as a cap to keep the excelsior in, while the folds of the filter along the sides of the container absorb any excess liquid.

This solves the excelsior problem, the liquid problem, and the coffee filter disintegration problem while keeping production high.

I tried adding pics from my computer to show what it looks like, but for some reason the forum site won't let me do this today.
    I get an "This is not a valid image file" message even though it's the same format I've used before (also changing the format / size doesn't work today).
    Any one else have have this problem recently?

That's a pretty crafty solution. Thanks for adding your method. I may have to give that a shot.

The forum has had issues uploading pics off and on recently, I'll get a message to the admin

Education is the most powerful weapon we can use to change the world ~ Nelson Mandela
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Nationality
    [United States]

Very crafty solution!

One topic I would like to discuss too (maybe I'll start a separate thread about it) is judging fruit fly cultures the right way. As a hobby you will hear people talk about the "production" of Fruit Fly cultures. I have done this (as I am sure everyone has), but due to recent research into the best media to use to get the most nutritious flies possible. Not the most flies per culture possible, but the flies that will provide my frogs with the best meal I can.

Anyways small side note... if its a topic several want to discuss I will start us a thread.

Nationality
    [United States]

Not intending or wanting to hijack this thread (so feel free to move if a new thread is started)

You are on the money with a goal of having the most nutritional fruit fly as something to be aspired to.

Unfortunately the scientific data comparing nutritional value of flies reared on different media are lacking, and this is a difficult subject to fully address by hobbyists as we do not generally have the availability of instrumentation and expertise to directly analyze the produced flies for various components of nutritional value.

So this leads to the information available (and that generated by frog owners) being primarily anecdotal.

Recently some commercial media is being marketed as producing "healthier" or more "nutritional" flies but again there are no analyses performed to determine values of components in the actual flies produced. Just 'cause you add it doesn't mean the flies are altered.

Additionally comparing frogs (often different species) fed on flies raised on different media (often where components / nutrients are not fully known) where the frogs are kept under different conditions / set ups is also chock full of problems in drawing firm conclusions.

There is a thread that has good / a lot of information on this exact topic started on another frog-centric forum (don't know if it's OK to mention other forums).
    It should be checked out as there is some good information there.

I personally make my own media using the Frog Forum recipe on the "How To" section. I also add SuperPig to this to boost carotenoid availability.
    I feel that most commercial media is probably similar in components and produce fairly equivalent flies.....but am waiting to see a real analysis of the flies prove me wrong.

Dusting and providing a varied selection of insects / larvae is probably the best way to insure good nutrition....until produced flies come with nutritional labels.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Tzunu un View Post

After trying a few things, I use both coffee filters and excelsior in a modified manner.

I tried excelsior alone and it worked but was tired of the bits falling out into the flies when feeding and also having liquid in older cultures coming out.

I tried coffee filters alone and the yield was lower and also they cultures would eat them....especially the hydei cultures where the filters would turn to mush.

I tried combining them with the filter in the bottom and the the excelsior, but this still led to problems with bits of excelsior falling out.

The solution I found that works best for me was to use both, but to invert the set up and also cut a hole in the center of the coffee filters as well:

- Take 3 coffee filters, stack and fold in quarters and snip off the point by 1/2 inch to 1 inch.
    - Unfold the filter stack and put a baseball sized ball of excelsior in the center. The filter paper stack is like a cup (looks like cupcake liner) around the excelsior.
    - Invert this and put in container with media, pressing until it touches the media.

The flies emerge from the hole in the center of the filter. The filter acts as a cap to keep the excelsior in, while the folds of the filter along the sides of the container absorb any excess liquid.

This solves the excelsior problem, the liquid problem, and the coffee filter disintegration problem while keeping production high.

I tried adding pics from my computer to show what it looks like, but for some reason the forum site won't let me do this today.
    I get an "This is not a valid image file" message even though it's the same format I've used before (also changing the format / size doesn't work today).
    Excellent idea!
    Current Collection
    Dendrobates leucomelas - standard morph
    Dendrobates auratus “Costa Rican Green Black"
    Dendrobates auratus "Pena Blanca"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “New River”
    Dendrobates tinctorius "Green Sipaliwini"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “Powder Blue"
    Dendrobates tinctorius "French Guiana Dwarf Cobalt"

Phyllobates terribilis “Mint”
    Phyllobates terribilis "Orange"
    Phyllobates bicolor "Uraba"

Oophaga pumilio "Black Jeans"
    Oophaga pumilio "Isla Popa"
    Oophaga pumilio "Bastimentos"
    Oophaga pumilio “Mimbitimbi”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Colubre"
    Oophaga pumilio "Red Frog Beach”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Branco"
    Oophaga pumilio “Valle del Rey”
    Oophaga pumilio "BriBri"
    Oophaga pumilio "El Dorado"
    Oophaga pumilio "Cristobal"
    Oophaga pumilio "Rambala"

Oophaga “Vicentei” (blue)

Oophaga sylvatica "Paru"
    Oophaga sylvatica "Pata Blanca"
    Oophaga histrionica “Redhead”
    Oophaga histrionica "Blue"
    Oophaga lehmanni "Red"
    Oophaga histrionica "Tado"

Ranitomeya variabilis "Southern"
    Ranitomeya imitator "Varadero"
    Ranitomeya sirensis "Lower Ucayali"
    Ranitomeya vanzolinii

http://www.fernsfrogs.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ferns.frogs

Some great suggestions here and great future topics of interest.

You mean you guys don't buy the flies with the nutritional labels on them? I can't be the only one!! Lol

I agree, to most, it's about production, but it really should be about nutrition. It should be quality, not quantity, that we aspire to. But as Tzunu stated, the equipment needed to study this is just out of the typical hobbyists hands, so all we can do is take all the anecdotal info and make our own conclusions.

0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Nationality
    [United States]

Not intending or wanting to hijack this thread (so feel free to move if a new thread is started)

You are on the money with a goal of having the most nutritional fruit fly as something to be aspired to.

Unfortunately the scientific data comparing nutritional value of flies reared on different media are lacking, and this is a difficult subject to fully address by hobbyists as we do not generally have the availability of instrumentation and expertise to directly analyze the produced flies for various components of nutritional value.

So this leads to the information available (and that generated by frog owners) being primarily anecdotal.

Recently some commercial media is being marketed as producing "healthier" or more "nutritional" flies but again there are no analyses performed to determine values of components in the actual flies produced. Just 'cause you add it doesn't mean the flies are altered.

Additionally comparing frogs (often different species) fed on flies raised on different media (often where components / nutrients are not fully known) where the frogs are kept under different conditions / set ups is also chock full of problems in drawing firm conclusions.

There is a thread that has good / a lot of information on this exact topic started on another frog-centric forum (don't know if it's OK to mention other forums).
    It should be checked out as there is some good information there.

I personally make my own media using the Frog Forum recipe on the "How To" section. I also add SuperPig to this to boost carotenoid availability.
    I feel that most commercial media is probably similar in components and produce fairly equivalent flies.....but am waiting to see a real analysis of the flies prove me wrong.

Dusting and providing a varied selection of insects / larvae is probably the best way to insure good nutrition....until produced flies come with nutritional labels.

I agree with all of this and that is the crutch the hobby has to lean on. We don't really know what we can do or shouldn't do to help produce the healthiest feeder insect we can. Flies can not be gut loaded like crickets and start to clean off the supplements we dust them with as soon as they hit the tank floor.

I have read several articles and forum topics on this very thing and I walked away from them with the understanding that I (just some guy who likes to raise and care for frogs) lack the skills and knowledge to affectively alter the nutritional value of the flies I culture. This understanding has turned me away from home made medias and towards commercially available ones. I have settled on using Repashey Superfly. I personally chose this one, because of all the advances Repashy has made in Amphibian supplementation in their powders they offer. The ingredients in their media offers all of what I have read is good to offer the flies... Plus I trust their supplements to provide my frogs with what they need so I will trust their fly media to help make as nutritional a fly as possible.

One of the things I walked away from valuing the most is that regardless of media makeup the first generation hatched in a fly culture will be the healthiest generation in that culture. All other flies after that will not have as nutritional of media to start with. This can be physically observed in the look of the flies over the life of the culture. As the culture booms the first time the flies are all big and black (in a Hydie culture). towards the end of the cultures life the flies are small and sickly looking, they also appear brown.

This topic is something we will probably be able to debate and talk about forever and never really have a definitive right answer.

Nationality
    [United States]

I can't believe that the direct photo uploading option on the forum has not been fixed in 4 weeks!

Ok, I broke down and signed up for Photobucket (slow and ads for the free version)

Here are some pics of the post from above.

Any updates from anyone on this? I've been using mesh for about 6 weeks (so not long), but so far I am happy with the results!

Yeah, I was less than thrilled about the mesh. Seemed like on some cultures, it blocked the flies from getting to the media. I have since decided to go a more "festive" route, synthetic Easter grass

0.0.1 Gramastola porteri