Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vacation Feeding

Default Vacation Feeding

I am new on the forum because I recently got interested in frogs. However, every year, i go on a week or two vacation and I am wondering how long I could leave a Red Eyed Tree Frog alone? I was thinking of a big water bowl and an automatic mister to put in the terrarium. How long can Red Eyed Tree Frogs go without eating crickets? Also, how long can a pacman frog go without eating?

Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Vacation Feeding

This is a tough subject to tackle and you will get all manner of responses. I am not a Pacman keeper and Have no idea how long you can leave them to their own devices before it becomes dangerous, but for Reds I can offer some advice.

With a Large water bowl, Automatic mister, Timer on lights You could safely leave your frog or frogs for around a week. I wouldn't let them go much longer than that before feeding them again, but for a week (maybe a week and a couple days) they will be ok. If you are going to be gone longer than that I would recommend finding some who can toss crickets in the tank for you at least at the week mark while you are gone.
    1.1.0 - Oophaga Pumilio 'Blue Jeans' (2014 Nicaragua Import)
    1.1.0 - Oophaga Pumilio 'Chirique Grande' F1
    1.1.0 - D. Tinctorius 'Citronella'
    1.2.0 - D. Tinctorius 'Azureus'
    0.0.2 - D. Tinctorius 'Sipaliwini'
    0.0.2 - D. Tinctorius 'New River'
    0.0.4 - D. Tinctorius 'Leucomelas'
    0.0.4 - Terribilis 'Mint'
    1.1.0 - R. Ventrimaculatus 'French Guiana'

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/hashtagfrogs
    Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgC...sEZiZQoT8sOuuw

Nationality
    [Canada]

How old and big is your pacman? If its an adult if you give him a nice meal before you go and you have lights, heat and humidity on timers you should be ok. Even if its a subadult if you feed a nice meal he should be ok but if its a baby im not a hundred percent sure a week would be ok. Again if you could get some one to check and throw in some crickets or even a worm that would be your best option. A subadult could go a week but something in between wouldn't hurt. And another thing you have to take into consideration is you are going to need someone to see if there is any poop or waste to pick up and even putting bigger dishes for water what if one of your frogs decides to poop in it? you will need someone to change the water.

Quote Originally Posted by monster View Post
    How old and big is your pacman? If its an adult if you give him a nice meal before you go and you have lights, heat and humidity on timers you should be ok. Even if its a subadult if you feed a nice meal he should be ok but if its a baby im not a hundred percent sure a week would be ok. Again if you could get some one to check and throw in some crickets or even a worm that would be your best option. A subadult could go a week but something in between wouldn't hurt. And another thing you have to take into consideration is you are going to need someone to see if there is any poop or waste to pick up and even putting bigger dishes for water what if one of your frogs decides to poop in it? you will need someone to change the water.
    I don't have a pacman frog right now, but I'm guessing it will be a year old when I leave for a vacation. I might put another water dish as well for humidity.

Thanks for the quick reply! From the research I've done, I'm pretty sure a pacman frog would do okay for a week or two without food. However for the red eyed tree frogs I was scared about feeding. Could I leave some extra crickets when I leave and have them eat it? Since the frogs will be up in the top of the cage, the crickets won't be able to reach them.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Well you will have no choice but have someone come in. Pacman yes he can be without food for a week or two if it's an adult, but you have to have someone change his water daily and spot clean if needed, flood substrate if it dries out, that is provided you have temps/humidity on controllers.

Adult red eyes will be fine for a week with no food, provided you have everything plugged into controllers. Paul has covered that one.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [United States]

If you feel comfortable saying so, where abouts do you live? If you check craiglist, I think in the services section, and put up a wanted ad, or look for a pet sitter, that could potentially work as a solution.
    “Life is a journey, not a destination.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Nationality
    [Canada]

You got to remember even if you put 2 water dishes with the pacman frog that when he is an adult when he poops and pees these are not small. So even putting more then one dish if he pees in them lets say and doesn't poop he is still going to absorb that in when he sits in the water. And sitting for a week or two in that kinda heat and humidity you are bound to grow some kind of bacteria in the water and he is going to absorb it and more then likely become sick. If you could get a friend or family member to check on your frogs that would be your best bet I think going away for that long. And im not saying he will absolutely become sick but sitting in that kind of water you would probably have a high risk.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Good thing about pacs that they live in small tanks, so you can also find some teen kid, old enough to change water and be responsible, yet young enough not to ask much $ for it and bring the tank to their house.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [United States]

Hahaha, hey! I'm that teenage kid you're talking about. I guess I'll have to charge more

Nationality
    [Canada]

lol right... I didnt say anything, wasn't me...

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Check at your local pet stores for someone to help, that's what I did last time I went on vacation because my reds were still young. I would also make sure you have TREATED water in jugs ready for them so they don't accidentally forget.
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

okay, I have a couple family members and friends that could take care of one of the frogs. However I do not think they will feed crickets so is it possible they could just keep the humidity in check, spot clean, and change the water?

Nationality
    [United States]

That will help but the starving part will need to be addressed. You could keep the crickets you want fed in a separate smaller container so all the family/friends would need to do it dump that container into the tank...
    1.1.0 - Oophaga Pumilio 'Blue Jeans' (2014 Nicaragua Import)
    1.1.0 - Oophaga Pumilio 'Chirique Grande' F1
    1.1.0 - D. Tinctorius 'Citronella'
    1.2.0 - D. Tinctorius 'Azureus'
    0.0.2 - D. Tinctorius 'Sipaliwini'
    0.0.2 - D. Tinctorius 'New River'
    0.0.4 - D. Tinctorius 'Leucomelas'
    0.0.4 - Terribilis 'Mint'
    1.1.0 - R. Ventrimaculatus 'French Guiana'

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/hashtagfrogs
    Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgC...sEZiZQoT8sOuuw

FrogFan89

Most reputable reptile stores can house your pets, mine for example charge £1 a day, but supply your own food. But if you can't get someone to look after it, than maybe a frog isn't the pet for you.

I see it in a way that if you want a pet (any kind) and you need someone to look after it during vacations but people say no, you can have the frog and sacrifice your vacations and not go and look after your pet or have your vacations and no frog.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I am all about getting someone to watch over your frogs while you are gone, someone you can trust to do what you ask them to do-- easier said than done I know!

This thread sure brings up great questions that I hadn't even thought of... being a 24-7 caregiver I don't even know the meaning of the word "vacation"! And for me, being a paranoid and doting frog mom, I don't know if I'd even be able to be away from my frog kids that long... I'd miss them too much!
    Mom to these fine frogs!
    4.4.0 White's tree frogs (Litoria caerulea): Sir Honey Lime, Bok & Choi, Martha, Shirley, Leapin' Loo and Ping & Pong; 0.2.1 Amazon Milk Frogs (Trachycephalus resinifictrix): Otto & Echo and Pip-Squeak aka Tiny
    2.0.0 South American Bird Poo Frogs (Hyla marmorata): Ribbit & Rupert

Yea guys I get worry sick when I let my friend take care of my gecko during my vacations. Thanks for the opinions guys!

I forgot to mention one question. If you own just one or two frogs, is it worth going through the hassle of breeding crickets.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Absolutely not, even for me and I get 500 crickets every 2 weeks. I tried to breed just to see first hand what is like, too much hassle, stinks like there's no tomorrow lol nope, I much rather buy.
    To breed crickets having one or two frogs you gotta be either nuts or extreme smell lover lol

Nationality
    [United States]

Unless, unless, unless, you're me! I had a 40B hermit crab tank, some crickets escaped, made their way into the tank, and breeded like mad demons. Fortunately, I got a new 90 gallon tank for the crabs this past fall. So now I have a constantly replenishing cricket supply and a brand stinking new hermit crab tank

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information