Thread: Some questions about pacman frogs

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Nationality
    [United States]

Default Some questions about pacman frogs

Hello everybody! I just joined this forum and look forward to keeping in touch in future. I do have a couple of questions about my pacman frog, Button. I got him from Petco a month or two ago and he's still a little guy, I'd say slightly bigger than a golf ball. I don't know for sure if he's an ornate or a cranwell's, I'll probably provide a picture of him sometime in the future. How can I tell between the two species? The only reason I ask is because I don't know if they have different needs and just want to make sure I'm caring for him right. He seems to be doing well, buries himself a lot but is healthy. How can I make sure he's healthy? What does an unhealthy or obese pacman look like? My biggest question is about feeding them. He currently eats large crickets every other day that I have gut loaded and calcium dusted and he really likes them but what about when he grows to full size? I know many people feed them mice and I'll give him pinkies if I absolutely have to but the thing is my mom is absolutely freaked out by mice and doesn't want them in the house live or dead. I could give him feeder fish too but I'd prefer to feed them with forceps because I feel like a wet fish would get covered in substrate and cause impaction but he doesn't respond to forcep feeding of course he's still very young and might warm up to it in future. I might give him some tiny anole lizards but not if I don't have to. Can he live on insects his whole life, even when he's huge? I've heard some sites say that you can give them roaches but other sites have said they have hard shells that are hard to digest and little nutritional value. Are there other large insects I could use? I really appreciate any feedback and I'll provide any additional information you request. Thanks so much and have a wonderful day! I hope it shows up but I tried attaching a photo I found online of a pacman that sort of looks like him, same color and overall shape as him if it helps at all.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thread Information