Thread: Some questions about pacman frogs

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Nationality
    [United States]

Default Some questions about pacman frogs

Hello everybody! I just joined this forum and look forward to keeping in touch in future. I do have a couple of questions about my pacman frog, Button. I got him from Petco a month or two ago and he's still a little guy, I'd say slightly bigger than a golf ball. I don't know for sure if he's an ornate or a cranwell's, I'll probably provide a picture of him sometime in the future. How can I tell between the two species? The only reason I ask is because I don't know if they have different needs and just want to make sure I'm caring for him right. He seems to be doing well, buries himself a lot but is healthy. How can I make sure he's healthy? What does an unhealthy or obese pacman look like? My biggest question is about feeding them. He currently eats large crickets every other day that I have gut loaded and calcium dusted and he really likes them but what about when he grows to full size? I know many people feed them mice and I'll give him pinkies if I absolutely have to but the thing is my mom is absolutely freaked out by mice and doesn't want them in the house live or dead. I could give him feeder fish too but I'd prefer to feed them with forceps because I feel like a wet fish would get covered in substrate and cause impaction but he doesn't respond to forcep feeding of course he's still very young and might warm up to it in future. I might give him some tiny anole lizards but not if I don't have to. Can he live on insects his whole life, even when he's huge? I've heard some sites say that you can give them roaches but other sites have said they have hard shells that are hard to digest and little nutritional value. Are there other large insects I could use? I really appreciate any feedback and I'll provide any additional information you request. Thanks so much and have a wonderful day! I hope it shows up but I tried attaching a photo I found online of a pacman that sort of looks like him, same color and overall shape as him if it helps at all.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Some questions about pacman frogs

Please somebody answer this. It's been several days and lots of people viewed. Someone must have experience with pacmans.

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Hi, welcome to the forum!
    sorry about that, I'll move a thread to a a pacman frogs forum so it would be visible more. Usually not many people coming over to this part of the forum.

That is C cranwelli in the pic, Cranwelli and ornate are a bit different looking, but the care is the same.

Feeding - the best staple for the guy is nightcrawlers, and dubia roaches, but keep in mind variety is a key here, so you need to supplement with some treats - mice, no more then one a months, you can get it frozen, defrost and feed, hornworms - one or two at a time, very rarely, wax worms, etc. the treats should be exactly that - treats, very rarely given, most of them are very fattening and not healthy to be given often.
    crickets if gut loaded are ok to feed to babies, but they are pretty low nutritional value, nightcrawlers are the best, but need to be tong fed and cut in chunks no bigger then a distance between eyes for a baby. Bigger frogs usually don't see the point of wasting their energy on a crickets.
    there are powdered Pacman foods, that you mix with water and feed, they are good to feed too.

supplements - you have ca/ vit d3, that is a good stuff, continue using it 2xweek, but you also need to get multivitamin powder and use it once a week on a different day then ca. Just pick days that work for you to easier remembering, say tuesday/Thursday - ca, sunday-multi.

Keeping - if your could describe what are you using for water and substrate, the size of the tank, post pic of both a frog and a tank, what temps/ humidity do you have we can assess if all is ok or what needs to be adjusted.

Again, im very sorry nobody saw your questions sooner, hope I answered them all now.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

4. This member thanks Lija for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Thanks so much Lija! You certainly did answer all the questions. I'm relieved that he can eat nightcrawlers, my mom would freak if I had a whole bunch of live mice in the house. Our local Petco sells these huge giant islander roaches and I'm sure he'll love those once he's as big as a baseball. Thanks again!

Nationality
    [United States]

Thank You Lija! I'm using ground coconut fiber as a substrate, basically that ground coconut soil stuff and his water is natural spring water. I going to take a picture of button and his setup very soon and I'll be sure to post it.

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

lol no you can tell your mom live mice is out of question, it's dangerous too, it can bite frog and it can end badly, so no, you definitely not want to deal with it.

you are welcome
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Thread Information