Thread: Frog Lump

FrogPiggy

Default Frog Lump

My acf is a little over a year old. Can someone please tell me what this lump might be it is on her left side & if it is a normal thing. If this is something not good, is she in pain or will be in pain, Does it get bigger? Is there anything I can do to help with this. I can not take her to a vet for her because there are none around me. Well that helps with frogs.

Name:  f1.JPG
Views: 154
Size:  26.9 KB Name:  ff1.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  32.6 KB Name:  ff2.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  32.5 KB Name:  ff3.JPG
Views: 144
Size:  22.1 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Frog Lump

The lump is not normal. Since you don't have access to a vet, it's not possible to get a second opinion. For now, it is likely the frog has initial signs of bloating. Place the frog in a hospital tank (nothing but water). Put one gallon of conditioned water with one teaspoon of non-iodized salt. Place the frog in the hospital tank for about 30 minutes. Repeat daily with fresh water and salt until the bloating clears up. If it doesn't clear up within 3 days, let us know. There is always a chance that there is a bacterial infection associated with bloating.

African clawed frogs should be kept at temperatures between 68-73 degrees (F). Water temperatures that are too hot is harmful to frogs. Do not feed your frog freeze-dried foods, they are not nutritious and cause bloating.
    Terry Gampper
    Nebraska Herpetological Society

“If we can discover the meaning in the trilling of a frog, perhaps we may understand why it is for us not merely noise but a song of poetry and emotion.”
    ---
    Adrian Forsyth

FrogPiggy

Thank you for the reply, I came across a photo & a illness called tuberculosis, I will add a photo, My frog is not as skinny as this one, but it has the same lump,on the opposite side thowe. Wondering if that matters or not. I lost my frogs sister a few months ago from bloat was a sad experience. I will share her picture too.
    Do you think it is bloat or more on the tuberculosis side?( my current frog )
    Name:  1154112.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  19.1 KB Name:  QBLOAT.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  38.0 KB

FrogPiggy

As I am going threw some photos from a couple months ago, I noticed 2 lumps, one on each side. But it is not like that anymore. & I notice weight loss from the picture too.

Name:  myfroggy2.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  24.6 KB

Nationality
    [United States]

Hello got your private message. I am not sure which lumps you are talking about. But it did look healthy. Now on the other hand, i would recommend a online doctor maybe. I don't know any to recommend personally but I have heard of them being helpful but do go to multiple sources and do some independent research. https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...JoinPopup=true here is one possible place to go i have found multiple sites recommending this so hopefully it can help. Good luck.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by FrogPiggy View Post
    Do you think it is bloat or more on the tuberculosis side?( my current frog )
    I doubt it is tuberculosis. I would certainly treat for bloat and possible bacterial infection. Since frogs do not respond well to many treatments, it is best to use caution.

(Do this only if the bloating doesn't reduce after 3 days) For bacterial infection, add 125 mg tetracycline, ampicillin, or Maracyn to 1 cup distilled water, and very small pinch salt. Have the frog soak in this bath daily for 5 days, for a time period of 6 minutes. Time It! Make a fresh bath each day, never use the old bath to re-treat.
    Make sure the container is sterilized after each use.

Once again, without help from a vet, it is difficult to determine the cause of the lump.
    Terry Gampper
    Nebraska Herpetological Society

“If we can discover the meaning in the trilling of a frog, perhaps we may understand why it is for us not merely noise but a song of poetry and emotion.”
    ---
    Adrian Forsyth

Thread Information