Thread: please help!!!

rwnklr

Exclamation please help!!!

Ok over summer we had a kiddie pool in the backyard, my husband broke his leg and we just hadn't gotten around to draining it yet. So the water in it, not that much, is 3-4weeks old. Anyway I found what I think is a common garden toad in there. I grabbed him out and he was still Alive, so I placed him on the grass to see what he would do. He's barely moving, he's arms and legs don't seem yo be moving at all. He inchs forwards and he's arms just end up underneath his belly. I don't know what to do :'( I don't want him to suffer but I don't want him to die either I have been putting water on the grass to try keep him moist, but he seems paralized or something. What do I do? Will he get better??
    Please help me

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: please help!!!

How cold is it where you are? Its possible he woke up briefly from brumating [hibernating] to get a drink and fell in. If that's the case then biologically he'd still be 'shutting down' to wait out the cold winter. If you want to try and save him you can bring him inside and see if the warmth re-energizes him at all. [Nothing warmer than room temperature though!! Anything hotter can make them very sick.] If he responds well to that then we can give you more advice on how to take care of him until spring, or until a slightly warmer day when you can release him.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post
    How cold is it where you are? Its possible he woke up briefly from brumating [hibernating] to get a drink and fell in. If that's the case then biologically he'd still be 'shutting down' to wait out the cold winter. If you want to try and save him you can bring him inside and see if the warmth re-energizes him at all. [Nothing warmer than room temperature though!! Anything hotter can make them very sick.] If he responds well to that then we can give you more advice on how to take care of him until spring, or until a slightly warmer day when you can release him.
    I think it's actually summer in Australia right now

Chlorine poisoning sounds more like the problem. Chlorine is very dangerous and it can kill frogs and toads. Maybe you can take it to an amphibian vet? Hopefully someone with more experience can help out...

Litoria
    caerulea 1.1.0 (White's Tree Frog)
    Lampropeltis triangulum hondurensis ​0.1.0 (Anerythristic Honduran Milk Snake) Tliltocatl albopilosus 0.0.2 (Curly Hair Tarantula)
    Aphonopelma hentzi 0.0.1 (Texas Brown Tarantula)
    Avicularia avicularia 0.0.2 (Pinktoe Tarantula)
    Brachypelma smithi ex. annitha 0.0.1 (Mexican Giant Red Knee Tarantula) Monocentropus balfouri 0.0.2 (Socotra Island Blue Baboon Tarantula)
    Harpactira pulchripes
    0.0.1 (Golden Blue Leg Baboon Tarantula)

rwnklr

Unhappy Re: please help!!!

Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post
    I am in Australia, so its fairly hot here at the moment. I ended up finding a number for a frog hospital, she got me to email a few pictures and after having a look she said that he looks as though he has a spinal injury. He may have been accidentally dropped into the pool by a bird. There was no obvious damage, but a slight discoloration along his spine area. Either way, i put him into a container with some grass and kept him moist, he has survived the night but unfortuantly she said the best thing to do is take him to the vet and have him put to sleep as there is not much chance of him coming good... I feel awful for him.

rwnklr

Quote Originally Posted by Frogman1031 View Post
    I think it's actually summer in Australia right now

Chlorine poisoning sounds more like the problem. Chlorine is very dangerous and it can kill frogs and toads. Maybe you can take it to an amphibian vet? Hopefully someone with more experience can help out...
    Its non chlorinated water, it was just a small kids pool that we used during a heatwave.

100+ Post Member Cliygh and Mia 2's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Question Re: please help!!!

Could it have eaten a cane toad and gotten sick? Cane toads are VERY toxic, and the other toad could have eaten it and gotten poisoned

rwnklr

Quote Originally Posted by Cliygh and Mia 2 View Post
    Could it have eaten a cane toad and gotten sick? Cane toads are VERY toxic, and the other toad could have eaten it and gotten poisoned
    It was Definitley a frog, I took him to the vet and they confirmed that he had a broken back and put him to sleep. poor little guy.

Thread Information