Thread: Panther Toad

googie

Default Panther Toad

Hi Guys:

My little guy found a toad in one of his books called a Panther Toad. Does anybody have any insight into these animals ?

Chris

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Kurt

Default Re: Panther Toad

Amietophrynus pantherinus? Never heard of it.

Seriously, Amietophrynus pantherinus is a Bufonid from South Africa. I really don't know all that much about them. I would guess they are typical of Bufonids. Perhaps, Darryn "Buck" Rogers knows something of them.

SethD

Quote Originally Posted by googie View Post
    Hi Guys:

My little guy found a toad in one of his books called a Panther Toad. Does anybody have any insight into these animals ?

Chris
    They are a fairly typical and easy to care for toad. Care is similar to what would be required for a vast number of toad species. Unless you have a more specific question just take a look at the basic toad care article on this site.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Amietophrynus (Bufo) pantherinus is a toad native to the Western Cape of South Africa. In the field guide, it is commonly known as the Western Leopard Toad. It has a very small native range and inhabits a unique floral biome known as the fynbos. It is on the South Africa "Red Data List" as endangered.

It was once thought to be the same species as the Eastern Leopard Toad, native to the Eastern Cape, (A. pardalis), but recently herpetologists separated the two as distinct species. The Eastern Leopard Toad is not threatened at this time. The two species look very much alike.

They are known to eat lizards in captivity.

They can be kept in the same manner as most temperate region toads.
    Terry Gampper
    Nebraska Herpetological Society

“If we can discover the meaning in the trilling of a frog, perhaps we may understand why it is for us not merely noise but a song of poetry and emotion.”
    ---
    Adrian Forsyth

Thread Information