Thread: New Whites Tree Frog Not Eating :(

FrogFan89

Default New Whites Tree Frog Not Eating :(

Hi everyone

I'm new to owning whites tree frogs. So yesterday after about 2 months of research I purchased 2 whites tree frogs, there about 3-4 months old maybe? They are both house in a exo terra terrarium which measures 60cm x 45cm x 90cm. I'm using a 40 watt heat bulb which keeps their terrarium 84F but drops to 80F when misting and drops to 70F at night. Humidity stays around 50% to 60%, occasionally 70% when I've over misted by accident and they have a extra large water dish to soak in which they have yet to use.

There is a slight size difference between the two, not much. Anyway the slightly larger one is eating fine, he's eating 5-6 dusted crickets daily and would eat more if he was allowed LOL! since he's still growing. The smaller one just sits there, sleeps during the day, not even active at night and refused food yesterday evening and fed them just now and he refused food again. Should I be worried? Are is he just stressed?

There's no sign of illness such as red leg are anything.

He's some pics below of my two

^ Large one and eating

^ Smaller one and not eating

Help would be appreciated

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Frogger00

Where did you purchase these frogs?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

FrogFan89

Default Re: New Whites Tree Frog Not Eating :(

Quote Originally Posted by Frogger00 View Post
    Where did you purchase these frogs?

From a pet store. They were housed together there as well.

Frogger00

Quote Originally Posted by FrogFan89 View Post
    From a pet store. They were housed together there as well.
    Which petstore?

FrogFan89

Which petstore?

Its called Nature World, based in the UK. Not sure what relevance it is as this store is only within the UK.

Frogger00

Do you know if the frogs were captive bred or wild caught?

FrogFan89

Do you know if the frogs were captive bred or wild caught?

There captive bred.

Frogger00

There captive bred.
    Oh that's really good. I was thinking it was most likely some sort of internal parasite, but it's unlikely if he's captive bred.

Has there been any other changes other than him not eating?

FrogFan89

Oh that's really good. I was thinking it was most likely some sort of internal parasite, but it's unlikely if he's captive bred.

Has there been any other changes other than him not eating?

No changes, no signs of illness. I'm assuming at this point he's stressed from coming from the store to my home and be handled being put in their home. Neither them are bothering each other so doubt there's any bullying happening.

Frogger00

I just read your post again and it says you got these frogs yesterday? I thought you had owned them for two months lol. The frog is definitely just stressed. In fact my local petstore said to not even bother feeding them for the first week they are home. It's nothing to worry about, but if within a week or so he doesn't start eating then you should be concerned. My two didn't eat at all the first few days.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Good questions, Frogger00!

Welcome aboard, FrogFan89! Your smaller frog reminds me of my Jelly bean when I first got him... he couldn't open his eyes and barely moved for three days He did eat though, but I'd consider that lucky. I think your little guy could be dehydrated, stressed too for sure after the move. I'd place him in a dish of tepid dechlorinated water (up to his chin) with 10% unflavored Pedialyte added and let him soak in that for about 20 minutes or so, this will help rehydrate him and give him electrolytes he needs. Be sure to give them privacy and quiet and not bother or handle them unless necessary over the next few days, and also have plenty of plants and hidey spots for them. Everything else sounds great. I've heard White's tree frogs between 1 1/2" to 2" are about 6 months old, so if yours are smaller, like around an inch, then the age on yours is probably right as well.

This is my Jelly Bean and his friend sHEila (who turned out to be a boy) right after I got them. See how poor Jelly's eyes are closed? He wasn't asleep in these pics either.
    Name:  Jelly Bean and Sheila Collage_10.9.14.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  71.1 KB

This is Jelly Bean a few days later!
    Name:  DSC00904.JPG
Views: 250
Size:  138.1 KBName:  DSC00756.JPG
Views: 256
Size:  150.5 KB
    Mom to these fine frogs!
    4.4.0 White's tree frogs (Litoria caerulea): Sir Honey Lime, Bok & Choi, Martha, Shirley, Leapin' Loo and Ping & Pong; 0.2.1 Amazon Milk Frogs (Trachycephalus resinifictrix): Otto & Echo and Pip-Squeak aka Tiny
    2.0.0 South American Bird Poo Frogs (Hyla marmorata): Ribbit & Rupert

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

OIh and captive bred frogs can and do definitely get parasites... my poor guys are testimony to that, and they come from a very reputable breeder/supplier, but unfortunately came from Petco where they no jack-zippo about what they are doing!
    Mom to these fine frogs!
    4.4.0 White's tree frogs (Litoria caerulea): Sir Honey Lime, Bok & Choi, Martha, Shirley, Leapin' Loo and Ping & Pong; 0.2.1 Amazon Milk Frogs (Trachycephalus resinifictrix): Otto & Echo and Pip-Squeak aka Tiny

dumpyfrog101

Hey welcome to the awesome world of Tree frogs. Like irthumper said he may be dehydrated. Continue to feed him a variety and he should start eating within a week, new frogs are fragile and they need time to adjust, leave him be and do not handle for a while. If he or she continues to not eat, seek vet help immediately! Also how are you feeding him? Tongs or are you just throwing crickets into there tank. Frogs are different, some will eat out of tongs others wont even go near them. Try both methods and like i said if both aren't working seek medical help

Frogger00

Quote Originally Posted by irThumper View Post
    OIh and captive bred frogs can and do definitely get parasites... my poor guys are testimony to that, and they come from a very reputable breeder/supplier, but unfortunately came from Petco where they no jack-zippo about what they are doing!
    Of course. Any animal can get parasites, it's just less likely if they are cb.

Frogger00

And despite what others have said, I would just leave him completely alone for a few days, other than water changes and such. Good luck, sounds like your doing good so far!

FrogFan89

Just a update, I tried the Pedialyte, didn't work, he ended up passing away not long after I called my reptile vet after finding him dead who deals with exotics and she said its possible he was already sick when he was in the pet store. I informed the pet store, they apologised but admitted they only keep them quarantined for 2 days (imo not long enough) and they throw food in and don't watch them eat.

They offered to give me another for free but refused and got a refund on him/her.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Just a update, I tried the Pedialyte, didn't work, he ended up passing away not long after I called my reptile vet after finding him dead who deals with exotics and she said its possible he was already sick when he was in the pet store. I informed the pet store, they apologised but admitted they only keep them quarantined for 2 days (imo not long enough) and they throw food in and don't watch them eat.

They offered to give me another for free but refused and got a refund on him/her.
    I am so sorry to hear that... I know how it hurts to lose a froggle You did the right thing in just getting a refund. I personally will never buy another frog from our local Petco store, not after seeing what goes on there and what with all the ongoing medicating and the grief of losing one of my babies I fought so hard for I hope whenever you get another WTF that you will have a much better experience <3
    Mom to these fine frogs!

Thread Information