Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New White's Tree Frog possible issue

Nationality
    [United States]

Default New White's Tree Frog possible issue

Hello everyone, we received this White's tree frog about a week ago. She seems to have some sort of problem with her eye, I am including a photo. Is this anything we should be concerned with and will it heal itself with proper care? I am pretty sure it was like that when she came in her Fedex box, she was skinnier and has fattened up pretty well in the last few days.

She is in a Exo Terra 18X18X24 terrarium with cypress shavings, water bowl for soaking, tree branches, and fake plants. The temp range in there is 72 at the bottom to 84 at the top in the basking area (which she never uses). The humidity has been around 40%, we have been misting the cage every day trying to raise it up but I think due to the heat in the house being on all the time for winter we have had problems getting the humidity up any higher. I just ordered hydroballs and frog moss to change the bottom of the tank to water with the moss above it to hopefully keep the humidity up a bit. Obviously we will continue to modify the terrarium to make it as perfect for her as possible.....

Anyway, she seems fine other than the dark spot on her left eye (the right eye is normal) and has been eating well. I just noticed a red spot under her ear that I dont think was there before, but I am pretty sure her eye was like that when she arrived last week, have any of you seen this before?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Rainrad2002; February 13th, 2015 at 02:18 PM. Reason: didn't attach photo

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: New White's Tree Frog possible issue

Hi there, welcome to FF! I'm sorry your frog is having problems, and I hate to say it but from what I'm seeing I believe you need to seek a vet specialized in frogs. I don't know what's up with her eye, it's strange (possibly bruising) but that red bump is definitely not normal, and from what I can see of her skin I wouldn't be surprised if she has some kind of a bacterial or other infection going on as well Only a test will tell you for certain.

I don't know much about the Cypress chips, but I know that certain things can be dangerous for frogs, from an ingestion standpoint and also toxic reaction. Moss is also a big NO for White's tree frogs in particular, as they can easily swallow the bits and become impacted, which could possibly lead to death without surgical intervention. Most people would recommend a safe substrate like eco-earth. Check out the White's tree frog care sheet here for more info Frog Forum - White's Tree Frog Care - Litoria caerulea

I wouldn't worry about 40% humidity, it's on the lower end of normal but perfectly fine (good average is 50%), especially if you mist 2-3 times a day and make sure the frog has a suitable soaking dish. Watch out for those cheap, non-digital, humidity gauges if you use them; they are frequently very inaccurate.

Please check out this thread http://www.frogforum.net/tree-frogs/...enclosure.html it has a list of questions that will help more folks here get you the info you need.
    Mom to these fine frogs!
    4.4.0 White's tree frogs (Litoria caerulea): Sir Honey Lime, Bok & Choi, Martha, Shirley, Leapin' Loo and Ping & Pong; 0.2.1 Amazon Milk Frogs (Trachycephalus resinifictrix): Otto & Echo and Pip-Squeak aka Tiny
    2.0.0 South American Bird Poo Frogs (Hyla marmorata): Ribbit & Rupert

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Forgot to say that from the get go, and definitely at this point, she should be kept in a simple hospital tank set up, with plain white damp paper towels for substrate, a few plastic plants to hide in, and of course her water dish (be sure to include a thermometer) and her lights. A quarantine set up like this will go a long way to keeping pathogens out of a finished tank set up and make it easier to observe your frog, her poo and etc.
    Mom to these fine frogs!
    4.4.0 White's tree frogs (Litoria caerulea): Sir Honey Lime, Bok & Choi, Martha, Shirley, Leapin' Loo and Ping & Pong; 0.2.1 Amazon Milk Frogs (Trachycephalus resinifictrix): Otto & Echo and Pip-Squeak aka Tiny

Nationality
    [United States]

Thank you irThumper, I guess I should have mentioned that I meant live moss that does not have loose bits. I have read the care sheet and they mention using sphagnum moss on top of the false bottom which is what I am going to do. I will put her in a quarantine tank and keep an eye on her, I have a vet nearby I can use if necessary.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Guess I need to reread the care sheet... Many White's owners say "No moss is good moss" where WTFs are concerned. Sorry for the confusion!
    Mom to these fine frogs!

Nationality
    [United States]

Believe me I understand the impaction concern, we have a number of reptiles and amphibians and I am always paranoid about what I put in there. Impaction is not fun. When using a false bottom in the tank what else can you use that won't just fall into the water? I do have some of that fake moss carpet stuff but I am more worried about that causing her problems than the live moss. If you think 40% is OK then maybe I will not bother with the false bottom and just get some eco earth to put in there. I looked up the cypress shavings (I already had some sitting around) and it is recommended in many places for WTF but after putting it in I don't like it. It sticks to her and some of the pieces seem a little big.

I think when winter is over the overall humidity in the house will go up and might fix the humidity anyway.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I use Repticarpet for some of my girls, it is antibacterial and pretty easy to maintain. I also strew fake silk leaves on the floor and have some glazed ceramic flower pot saucers for them to rest on if they want to get off the carpeting. Humidity is fine so I'd keep it simple as possible. When you use natural substrates they can become bacterial breeding grounds if you already have an issue. Too much humidity for these guys is definitely not good, as you're looking at respiratory and bacterial problems. WTFs do handle a wide range of temps/humidity/environments, but since you already have problems with your gal it's much better to err on the side of caution. :/
    Mom to these fine frogs!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I wouldn't use the moss mat kind of carpeting, I've seen stories where people are having problems with it eventually falling apart and then catching their frogs limbs and trapping them like a web
    Mom to these fine frogs!

Nationality
    [United States]

I just got a reply from the seller, they mentioned that it may be a cricket bite and that I should keep an eye on her. I have been keeping crickets in there but they are in a glass bowl which supposedly they are not supposed to jump out of, but who knows. I know I am going to loose sleep tonight worrying about that frog.

Nationality
    [United States]

Yeah, I saw that too about the moss mat carpet which is why it is still in the box. Thank you so much for your help!

12. This member thanks Rainrad2002 for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Ouch! Yeah some of those little devils are known for having a chomp on frogs. Armstrong sells the original type of brown cricket (not a hybrid) and it does NOT bite. I used to buy from them years ago so am thinking of getting crickets from them again. Would love to be able to raise my own feeders but no room at the moment.
    Mom to these fine frogs!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rainrad2002 View Post
    Yeah, I saw that too about the moss mat carpet which is why it is still in the box. Thank you so much for your help!
    No prob, happy to help!
    Mom to these fine frogs!

Nationality
    [United States]

What do you usually feed yours?

I HATE crickets, and if there is a chance they bit her on the face I will never buy them again. I have not seen the special "non biting" crickets around here so not much of an option. We've been raising Dubia roaches for a couple years as feeders for the reptiles because I can't stand crickets, not fond of the Dubia either but at least they don't stink, die, and jump out of the tank chirping all over the house. The Dubia are very nutritious and very easy to breed fortunately.

I started giving her crickets only because that seems to be the most popular food for them and she was a bit skinny when she arrived, I just wanted to make sure that she was eating. Now that she has fattened up a bit I am going to try the small roaches again. I have some red wigglers that I can try and see if she likes those. Every time you (I mean me) get a new animal you get to go through this nerve wracking period at the beginning figuring out what works best for them. Not easy separating out opinions from facts when researching, it is nice to talk to people who actually own the animal to see what works best for them.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

General consensus is frogs think Red Wigglers are GROSS and sometimes will never attempt to eat any other kind of worm after trying one My guys eat a rotation of crickets, waxworms (sparingly due to fat content) & Canadian nightcrawlers right now. I do a combo of bowl feeding, hand feeding, and free feeding in a tank with no substrate. I tried Dubia with the frogs when they were younger but they didn't seem to manage or digest them well, even though they did tackle them, so thinking of giving them and/or Turkish Red Runners another try. Hornworms are on my list of must-try. I tried Phoenix/Calci-worms (Soldier fly larvae) and they were terrible! The frogs ate them but popped them out whole, total waste of time and money there.

My frogs generally hand feed, even on non-moving things, so going to look into the options of the Can O' Pillars (etc.) food items too.
    Mom to these fine frogs!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Red wrigglers? Do you mean earthworms? Because nightcrawlers are pretty nutritious, but I have a frog that won't take anything from my tongs because he got a taste of red wriggler and didn't like it.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

If "Red Wiggler" means the composting worms (those are the ones frogs hate) otherwise just plain ol earth worms (non-composters) or nightcrawlers are on the nom nom list
    Mom to these fine frogs!

Nationality
    [United States]

They are actually nightcrawlers, just checked the container. Thought they were red wigglers (the ones you get for fishing) as I had bought those previously for my axolotls but I must have changed over to the nightcrawlers at some point. The frog's name is Quibbit and she is about 3 inches from nose to rear end, can she eat a whole nightcrawler or do you guys cut them up first?

20. This member thanks Rainrad2002 for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

She should be able to manage a moderate/full sized one. I have a video of my Martha (who's about the same size, maybe a bit more) taking one down. Will have to round that up and post it.
    Mom to these fine frogs!

Nationality
    [United States]

That would be great!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Processing now, will be up in a min!
    Mom to these fine frogs!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information