Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New White's Tree Frog possible issue

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: New White's Tree Frog possible issue

Here's the vid (Meh! Just saw I made a typo on it! Oh well, will change it after you've had a chance to see it, lol) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzoK3r245IY

Mom to these fine frogs!
    4.4.0 White's tree frogs (Litoria caerulea): Sir Honey Lime, Bok & Choi, Martha, Shirley, Leapin' Loo and Ping & Pong; 0.2.1 Amazon Milk Frogs (Trachycephalus resinifictrix): Otto & Echo and Pip-Squeak aka Tiny
    2.0.0 South American Bird Poo Frogs (Hyla marmorata): Ribbit & Rupert

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Frogger00

Default New White's Tree Frog possible issue

The dark spot on the eye could be a bruise. Not sure what you could do about it though. I've tried a few different feeders.
    Crickets: only the small ones(2 week old). The big ones can cause damage as others have said and they are gross. My one frog loves crickets the most. One downside is they are difficult to keep alive.

Meal worms: my one guy is pretty obsessed with these worms. They are easy to keep and breed. Sometimes my frogs don't recognize them as food though.

Hornworms: these worms make your frogs poop like crazy! Nutritious, and easy to digest. Hard to keep alive.

Pinky mice: a good treat. Hard to digest.

Phoenix worms: my frogs wouldn't even touch them and instead proceeded to push them away with their hands.

Hope this helps! I personally like meal worms best. And they are a bit fatty so they will put some weight on your tiny frog! Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

The downside to mealworms and superworms, though, is the excessive chitin (undigestible material) to meat ratio. That and these things have been said to be able to chew their way out of delicate species (which adult WTFs are not, but still)
    Mom to these fine frogs!
    4.4.0 White's tree frogs (Litoria caerulea): Sir Honey Lime, Bok & Choi, Martha, Shirley, Leapin' Loo and Ping & Pong; 0.2.1 Amazon Milk Frogs (Trachycephalus resinifictrix): Otto & Echo and Pip-Squeak aka Tiny

Frogger00

Quote Originally Posted by irThumper View Post
    The downside to mealworms and superworms, though, is the excessive chitin (undigestible material) to meat ratio. That and these things have been said to be able to chew their way out of delicate species (which adult WTFs are not, but still)
    It's true they are not too nutritious. I always have some on hand for the sugar gliders so give the frogs a few each week. I like to keep a variety of foods. I've never heard of the meal worms being able to eat the animal inside out. Super worms though, I couldn't say as I've never tried them.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Frogger00 View Post
    It's true they are not too nutritious. I always have some on hand for the sugar gliders so give the frogs a few each week. I like to keep a variety of foods. I've never heard of the meal worms being able to eat the animal inside out. Super worms though, I couldn't say as I've never tried them.

I wonder if Myth Busters has ever worked with this one, lol :P I did find this, though, so I guess close enough! Dinnerā€™s Revenge: mealworms that survive in the stomach, then eat their way out of predators - Boing Boing No clue about the beetles themselves though... I know there are some kind of worms/beetles they use to strip carcasses for taxidermy work (*shudder*). I guess a healthy frog might be perfectly fine, but I still wouldn't give them to a convalescing one, just in case
    Mom to these fine frogs!

Frogger00

Interesting article. I think both my frogs are so vicious they probably kill the worm before it even gets down. Here's a pic of one of my two eating my hand instead of the hornworm... Lol

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Bwahaha! I love it when mine do that...
    Mom to these fine frogs!

Nationality
    [United States]

Here's the vid (Meh! Just saw I made a typo on it! Oh well, will change it after you've had a chance to see it, lol) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzoK3r245IY

Awesome vid, he/she is adorably chubby. I loved how she kept trying to shove the last little bit of the worm in and finally slammed it in. I am going to see if Quibbit will take one tonight......

10. This member thanks Rainrad2002 for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Thanks Martha's my crotchety girl who thinks she's a Pacman, as she's always hiding out in her cocohut or mooshing herself down between the water dish and another ceramic saucer... that and she's pretty much an expert when it come to wrangling a worm!
    Mom to these fine frogs!

Frogger00

Bwahaha! I love it when mine do that...
    I know! Isn't it the best thing?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Strangely, yes! If they were Pacmans or Pyxies though... not so much, lol!
    Mom to these fine frogs!

Frogger00

Strangely, yes! If they were Pacmans or Pyxies though... not so much, lol!
    Yes or if it were my ball python...yikes! Froggy bites are so cute.

Nationality
    [United States]

Thanks Martha's my crotchety girl who thinks she's a Pacman, as she's always hiding out in her cocohut or mooshing herself down between the water dish and another ceramic saucer... that and she's pretty much an expert when it come to wrangling a worm!
    She is really cute! Do you ever see her up in a plant or on a tree branch? I know they are supposed to be tree frogs but I have yet to see Quibbit anywhere but on the ground in a hole sandwiched between two things. She never basks and always feels so cold when I hold her, maybe I need to put a little cave in there. There is a hollow log but she never goes in there.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rainrad2002 View Post
    She is really cute! Do you ever see her up in a plant or on a tree branch? I know they are supposed to be tree frogs but I have yet to see Quibbit anywhere but on the ground in a hole sandwiched between two things. She never basks and always feels so cold when I hold her, maybe I need to put a little cave in there. There is a hollow log but she never goes in there.
    Martha is still transitioning, so is in a 10 gallon QT tank at the moment, but we have a Medium-tall Exo-Terra she'll be going into, this weekend hopefully. I've only seen her go to the top of her fake rock decor once, and that was to get a cricket. She's such a tub she doesn't really climb. My other frogs spend time on the ground, or on top of decor, or sleeping in the upper corners of their tank. I've heard from a lot of folks that WTFs seem to be more terrestrial than a lot of other tree frogs, Red-Eyes for example. I think it depends on how they grew up too. Martha grew up in a Petco in a small tank with no objects to climb on, plants or anything, just a wood cave hide which she always stayed under. Poor girl (Frogs are cold blooded, so shouldn't feel warm).

Tree frogs can also spend a lot of time on the ground if they are not feeling well too...
    Mom to these fine frogs!

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Frogger00 View Post
    The dark spot on the eye could be a bruise. Not sure what you could do about it though. I've tried a few different feeders.
    Crickets: only the small ones(2 week old). The big ones can cause damage as others have said and they are gross. My one frog loves crickets the most. One downside is they are difficult to keep alive.

Meal worms: my one guy is pretty obsessed with these worms. They are easy to keep and breed. Sometimes my frogs don't recognize them as food though.

Hornworms: these worms make your frogs poop like crazy! Nutritious, and easy to digest. Hard to keep alive.

Pinky mice: a good treat. Hard to digest.

Phoenix worms: my frogs wouldn't even touch them and instead proceeded to push them away with their hands.

Hope this helps! I personally like meal worms best. And they are a bit fatty so they will put some weight on your tiny frog! Good luck.

Thank you for all the info! I usually have mealworms around for the reptiles, will get some more and offer them to her. Also like the waxworms for fattening up..... I tried to get her to take a thawed pinky mouse but she wouldn't eat it, will try again next time I thaw one for the bearded dragon.

Nationality
    [United States]

This has become a very interesting little thread ! Anyway welcome to the frog forum ! I agree with the others in saying that the lesion was probably cause by some sort of bite and the bruising possibly spread to the eye. Remember to keep a close eye on it to make sure that it doesn't get bigger . Keep on fattening her up. They aren't called Dumpy tree frogs for nothing !

irThumper, Martha is adorable! As are all your white's!

I'm getting jealous of everyone's nice big tanks! My babies are still stuck in that cramped 18x18x18 . Will have to wait until the next White Plains expo to (finally) get a 24x18x24.

Good luck with your new frog and I hope her little injury gets better

Litoria
    caerulea 1.1.0 (White's Tree Frog)
    Lampropeltis triangulum hondurensis ​0.1.0 (Anerythristic Honduran Milk Snake) Tliltocatl albopilosus 0.0.2 (Curly Hair Tarantula)
    Aphonopelma hentzi 0.0.1 (Texas Brown Tarantula)
    Avicularia avicularia 0.0.2 (Pinktoe Tarantula)
    Brachypelma smithi ex. annitha 0.0.1 (Mexican Giant Red Knee Tarantula) Monocentropus balfouri 0.0.2 (Socotra Island Blue Baboon Tarantula)
    Harpactira pulchripes
    0.0.1 (Golden Blue Leg Baboon Tarantula)

19. This member thanks Frogman1031 for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Frogman1031 View Post
    This has become a very interesting little thread ! Anyway welcome to the frog forum ! I agree with the others in saying that the lesion was probably cause by some sort of bite and the bruising possibly spread to the eye. Remember to keep a close eye on it to make sure that it doesn't get bigger . Keep on fattening her up. They aren't called Dumpy tree frogs for nothing !

I'm getting jealous of everyone's nice big tanks! My babies are still stuck in that cramped 18x18x18 . Will have to wait until the next White Plains expo to (finally) get a 24x18x24.

Lol, thanks Eli! ^_^ Martha was actually a real pain in the butt tonight... wouldn't eat her worm! Not even in half! I got so disgusted I took it out, dumped 5 big juicy crickets in her house, and told her to move her flabby hiney and go hunting... oog!

I'm slowly moving my frogs up in cage size as well. Shirley and Honey are now in a 10 gallon, and Martha will hopefully go from her 10 gallon to her Exo-terra medium-tall this weekend. Lucy will have to wait to go in with Martha until her own QT is up and I see what's going on with her fecal exam (I'm getting a second opinion... well if she gives me another sample that doesn't get baked under the heat lamp I'll get a 2nd opinion!)
    Mom to these fine frogs!

21. This member thanks irThumper for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

The spot looks slightly better today, and I put a dab of non pain relieving neosporin on it this morning to help it along. Hopefully it will just continue to get better.....

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Frogman1031 View Post

Or at least keep fattening her up until her ear-rolls show up and then stop. They don't need to be too fat!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Keeping fingers crossed for her!
    Mom to these fine frogs!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information