Thread: Question: Parasitic Larvae & Protozoa and Disinfecting/Sanitizing?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Question Question: Parasitic Larvae & Protozoa and Disinfecting/Sanitizing?

Ok, well I've read in more than one forum on Chams and Beardies that coccidia oocysts are NOT killed by bleach and only an ammonia based cleaner will eradicate it on nonporous surfaces. I did read in another post that someone found that high powered Hydrogen peroxide (used in salons for hair bleaching) apparently did the trick in his Cham's (or Beardie, I forget which one now, lol) tank and he's been coccidiosis "free" since 2008, living in same said tank.

My question is this, though-- I started reading the article on How to Do a Fecal Exam Frog Forum - How to do Fecal Exams and took note of this statement:

"The effects of salt solutions on parasite shape should be understood. Hypertonic solutions draw water from the bodies of larval parasites and parasitic protozoa killing them and distorting their outlines to such an extent that they may no longer look like typical parasitic species. This can make these organisms difficult to identify. The fecal exam must be done as soon as possible after it is prepared to minimize the time that the organisms are exposed to the distorting solution."

I got to be thinking about that and the possibility of using Epsom salts for disinfecting tanks, but then again there's that "oocyst" question again... would they or would they not be killed by the salts (as mentioned above) though apparently bleach won't effect them?
    Mom to these fine frogs!
    4.4.0 White's tree frogs (Litoria caerulea): Sir Honey Lime, Bok & Choi, Martha, Shirley, Leapin' Loo and Ping & Pong; 0.2.1 Amazon Milk Frogs (Trachycephalus resinifictrix): Otto & Echo and Pip-Squeak aka Tiny
    2.0.0 South American Bird Poo Frogs (Hyla marmorata): Ribbit & Rupert

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Question: Parasitic Larvae & Protozoa and Disinfecting/Sanitizing?

i responded to your other post about disinfection, but i will ask here as well. are we talking about an operating enclosure? or an empty one?
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    1.0.0 Tabby/Maine Coon Mix
    2.1.0 Genetics Experiments
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by deranged chipmunk View Post
    i responded to your other post about disinfection, but i will ask here as well. are we talking about an operating enclosure? or an empty one?
    Both, as I want to be able to do a good cleaning on a tank currently being used (minimalist/basically a QT set up) and also tanks I buy from like Goodwill or CL that have had who-knows-what in them.
    Mom to these fine frogs!
    4.4.0 White's tree frogs (Litoria caerulea): Sir Honey Lime, Bok & Choi, Martha, Shirley, Leapin' Loo and Ping & Pong; 0.2.1 Amazon Milk Frogs (Trachycephalus resinifictrix): Otto & Echo and Pip-Squeak aka Tiny

They have some good stuff at BeardedDragon.co. I recently purchased something called Quaternary Coccicidal Disinfectant from them, which allegedly kills most pathogens including coccidia that bleach won't kill. Coccicidal Concentrated Disinfectant 8oz. They have a more heavy duty product as well, which also kills coccidia. Professional Concentrated Disinfectant 8 oz

The site has some good stuff that you may want to check out.
    0.0.6 Hyla versicolor
    7.0.0 Dendropsophus leucophyllatus
    2.0.0 Homo sapiens sapiens (K & C, the *other* froglets)

"Cleansed in the finest quality spring water, lightly killed, and then sealed in a succulent Swiss quintuple smooth treble cream milk chocolate envelope, and lovingly frosted with glucose."

6. This member thanks Crunchy Frog for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Sounds good, I'll check those out. Thanks!
    Mom to these fine frogs!

Nationality
    [United States]

I think the product Cruncy Frog posted should be good. Quaternary ammonia is my favorite as well. Much less corrosive than other cleaners and does a good job of eradicating many pathogens. We use this in the lab:
    http://www.cleanroomconnection.com/c...-disinfectant/

As for the idea of desiccation using epsom salts or something similar... I don't think that will work. Both bacterial and protozoan cycsts are rather well protected from desiccation. It might pose a threat to the free-living form, but I think the cycts (which will presumably be on surfaces in the enclosures) won't be all that affected. Just speculating, though. We have to use an autoclave with extreme moist heat and pressure to eliminate most oocysts.
    -Jeff Howell
    ReptileBoards ( Branched from The Reptile Rooms )
    "If you give, you begin to live." -DMB

9. 2 members thank JeffreH for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Thanks for the info Lab? Do you know anything about parasitology? I've been reading as much online as I can find about intestinal parasites of anurans... not having an easy time finding info, most is either reptile based or other species of critter. This is a great article here, although based on animals other than herps-- very eye opening Fecal flotation for detecting parasite burdens in faeces. I want to invest in my own microscope and learn how to conduct the fecal tests for my frogs with samples right out of the chute! Even then there are soooo many variables, but at least I will see things first hand, and with the right equipment will be able to save video/photos to show to a vet Amscope B120C E 40x 2500x LED Digital Binocular Compound Microscope with 3D Sta | eBay
    Mom to these fine frogs!

Thread Information