Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is this normal?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Is this normal?

How big is Limon? From the looks of it, it is time to get a ten gallon tank for him.

A humidity and temperature gauge will really help you in taking better care of Limon

Humidity should be 70-80% and the temps should be 80-83 fahrenheit during the day with a drop to 75-77 at night.

As has been stated, you need to treat the water.

Nightcrawlers are the best staple for pacman frogs. Dye free and dusted with calcium or vitamins. Depending on your frogs size, the schedule will differ.

Mice should be restricted to once a month at the very most, if that. They are full of fat and eventually this will cause major health problems. Maybe even death.

Maybe this has been posted but here is a caresheet on pacman frogs. Good luck!

http://www.frogforum.net/content/pac...-breeding-170/

Litoria
    caerulea 1.1.0 (White's Tree Frog)
    Lampropeltis triangulum hondurensis ​0.1.0 (Anerythristic Honduran Milk Snake) Tliltocatl albopilosus 0.0.2 (Curly Hair Tarantula)
    Aphonopelma hentzi 0.0.1 (Texas Brown Tarantula)
    Avicularia avicularia 0.0.2 (Pinktoe Tarantula)
    Brachypelma smithi ex. annitha 0.0.1 (Mexican Giant Red Knee Tarantula) Monocentropus balfouri 0.0.2 (Socotra Island Blue Baboon Tarantula)
    Harpactira pulchripes
    0.0.1 (Golden Blue Leg Baboon Tarantula)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Is this normal?

Glad you posted that, it sounds like you got bad info on how to care for him when you got him. I know it can be tempting to think you've done it one way for so long with no problems, but when they start bloating like that it means things have reached a critical point and they will keep getting sicker and eventually die unless things are changed.

The tank is too small; assuming he's a male (you can check for nuptial pads on the back of his front feet if you're curious; yes means male, no means female) then he'll need about a ten gallon. This is important in part because when they pee they pee a LOT; having the larger tank allows them to move both to get away from their own waste as well as to regulate their temperature.

Have you started treating the water? If you don't this will keep happening and he'll die fairly soon. It's probably the most important thing. You'll need to change the substrate for some that's expanded with treated water, as well as the water dish.

The feeding is wrong as well. You should never feed him a mouse older than a pinkie, and not more than once a month as a treat. The fat content in mice is way too high and can cause liver damage and blindness. Also no need to dust mice; they have calcium in the bones.
    Crickets, nightcrawlers (from WalMart works fine), and dubia roaches all three make excellent staple foods. It may take a couple weeks to get him to start taking those well, but it'll be worth it. Those are by far healthier foods.

Also, temp needs to be 80-85 daytime and 75-80 nighttime. Lower temps will eventually cause lymph failure. Humidity should stay around 80%; dropping far below that will cause them to start hibernating. You can buy an infrared thermometer for less than 20 dollars at most chain petstores-- those are the most accurate.

I hope that info helps get him on the right track and that he stops bloating up! These frogs can live 10-20 years if taken care of properly, so making the changes will be worth it.
    3.0 Thamnophis sirtalis sirtalis
    1.1 Thamnophis cyrtopsis ocellatus
    0.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    1.0 Litoria caerulea
    0.1 Terrapene carolina
    0.1 Python regius
    0.1 Grammostola rosea
    0.0.1 Brachypelma smithi
    0.1 Hogna carolinensis

Nationality
    [Canada]

One more little thing I noticed you pointed out that no one else mentioned I think is the light your using. UV is not good for your frog because he is albino, it can really hurt there eyes and there skin. If you want to use a light as your way to heat his tank your safest bet with an albino is a red light. Glad to hear his bloat has came down abit.

MrsNoah

Oh! It is s red lamp on the frog! I was confused with the uv light for the snake! My bad!
    Yes! We are all happy to see him feeling better! I really appreciated everyone's responses here! That was most helpful!

MrsNoah

WOW! I had no idea! Thsnx so much! We havecs 10 gallon at school. I will switch him out this weekend! Thanx for all of your helpful information! He will be happier soon! I'm glad!

MrsNoah

Very helpful information! Thank you so much! I will begin his new lifestyle right away!

Nationality
    [United States]

Room temp is much to low. They can not properly metabolize their food at temps in the low 70s. This level of temperature can mean humidity is not low because there is not a heat source to burn it off, but keep a close eye on him because extended periods at low temperatures can damage their lymph hearts causing water edema syndrome which was my first assumption after seeing the first picture. There is no cure for the disease only ways to treat it. Hopefully this is not the case because it results in a very short lifespan and the bloating can eventually cause kidney damage. I would keep everyone updated on the frog's status for a while and post any concerns or changes.

MrsNoah

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  97.4 KB
    Here is Limon's new digs! He seems to like it!

MrsNoah

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  116.3 KB
    What do you all think? Better?

Nationality
    [United States]

The size of the tank is better; if possible you should go back to using the type of substrate you were using before (of course expanded with treated water). The problem with what you've got in there now is that it can cause serious issues if a large chunk is ingested, and they WILL eventually ingest bedding if they are in it long enough. With the cocofiber, it's something that passes through the system easily so it isn't a big issue if they accidentally grab a mouthful of it.

The bloating does look a little better; still seems kind of bloated though. Like Grif said, long-term low temps and exposure to untreated water can cause serious damage, so you may be looking at long lasting problems for this guy.
    3.0 Thamnophis sirtalis sirtalis
    1.1 Thamnophis cyrtopsis ocellatus
    0.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    1.0 Litoria caerulea
    0.1 Terrapene carolina
    0.1 Python regius
    0.1 Grammostola rosea
    0.0.1 Brachypelma smithi
    0.1 Hogna carolinensis

Nationality
    [United States]

Change back to Coconut Fiber. That substrate you have now can cause an impaction if ingested. Substrate should be moist, but not muddy and any feces must be removed immediately. If bloating persists you will need a vet. Lasix can help with water retension, but must be peracribed by a vet.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information