Thread: Whites tree frog help

josh

Default Whites tree frog help

Hello everyone, so the story goes, I have a whites tree frog named Henry. Now I've had him for a few years and he croaks about every night. This is how I know he is a boy. A few weeks ago I got a girl whites. I was pretty sure she was a girl because of her massive size. She also has smaller ears and smaller thumbs. These are all characteristics of a girl tree frog. Henry has been croaking just like normal ever since I got her. He usually croaks if he hears a sound, or just randomly. But tonight was very different. He was on a log and started croaking on his own. But then my girl whites started croaking in response to him. This went on for about 15 seconds. I was very confused because I didn't think that girls croak at all. I've never heard a peep from her until tonight. I read that sometimes girls will croak as mating response to males. Is this what happened? Or do I have another male that has physical characteristics of a girl?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Frogger00

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    Hello everyone, so the story goes, I have a whites tree frog named Henry. Now I've had him for a few years and he croaks about every night. This is how I know he is a boy. A few weeks ago I got a girl whites. I was pretty sure she was a girl because of her massive size. She also has smaller ears and smaller thumbs. These are all characteristics of a girl tree frog. Henry has been croaking just like normal ever since I got her. He usually croaks if he hears a sound, or just randomly. But tonight was very different. He was on a log and started croaking on his own. But then my girl whites started croaking in response to him. This went on for about 15 seconds. I was very confused because I didn't think that girls croak at all. I've never heard a peep from her until tonight. I read that sometimes girls will croak as mating response to males. Is this what happened? Or do I have another male that has physical characteristics of a girl?

Did the girl have a big throat?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

josh

Default Re: Whites tree frog help

[QUOTE=Frogger00;252533]Did the girl have a big throat?

I didn't see her when she was croaking

josh

I didn't see her when she was croaking because the lights were out

Frogger00

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    I didn't see her when she was croaking because the lights were out
    Try to catch it next time, if the throat wasn't puffy then it was most likely a female l if the throat was big, then you may have another male

josh

Ok, thanks you!!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

The female whites tree frogs will call back to a male and in my expierence will call kinda randomly for very short spurts of time unlike the makes who tend to call for a minute or so. also the males will have the croaks back to back. My females only call for one or two croaks at a time. Look for the brown nuputal spots on the inner top/ crease area of there thumbs. Out of mating season the spots are lighter but usually visible on the males as long as there sound an 1 1/2" from nose to vent. The females have no spot at all and when full grown are usually larger than the males.
    Stephanie

josh

Thank you so much! That really helped! I'm a little confused about the last thing you said about their thumbs though. And the spots things.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  48.8 KBBoth theses frogs have those brown nuptial pads and Both are male. These frogs are not mine I copied the picture
    from a different forum
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Stephanie

Frogger00

Just wanted to add that the thumb pads are not always darkened like in the pic, but still visible

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Here are some nuptial pads (thumb pads) that are pretty dark by comparison

Name:  sHEila Thumb Pad Quad Pic_11.13.14.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  113.6 KB
    Name:  Honey-Lime Thumb Patch 11.14.14.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  31.6 KB
    Mom to these fine frogs!
    4.4.0 White's tree frogs (Litoria caerulea): Sir Honey Lime, Bok & Choi, Martha, Shirley, Leapin' Loo and Ping & Pong; 0.2.1 Amazon Milk Frogs (Trachycephalus resinifictrix): Otto & Echo and Pip-Squeak aka Tiny
    2.0.0 South American Bird Poo Frogs (Hyla marmorata): Ribbit & Rupert

Thread Information