Thread: Intestinal Worms and Frogs- List of Common Parasites?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Question Intestinal Worms and Frogs- List of Common Parasites?

Out of 7 books I own on White's (and other) tree frogs only one really mentions parasitic worms, and then only briefly with no in depth info. Is there anywhere I can find a list of the various parasitic worms and the medications and methods to treat for them? I've been all over the web and keep hitting dead ends. My Googability is lacking it seems...
    Mom to these fine frogs!
    4.4.0 White's tree frogs (Litoria caerulea): Sir Honey Lime, Bok & Choi, Martha, Shirley, Leapin' Loo and Ping & Pong; 0.2.1 Amazon Milk Frogs (Trachycephalus resinifictrix): Otto & Echo and Pip-Squeak aka Tiny
    2.0.0 South American Bird Poo Frogs (Hyla marmorata): Ribbit & Rupert

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Intestinal Worms and Frogs- List of Common Parasites?

I don't know about web sites, but there's a couple of books that you may want to check out (though they're kind of pricey). Amphibian Medicine and Captive Husbandry: Brent R. Whitaker, Kevin N. Wright: 9780894649172: Amazon.com: Books

Exotic Animal Formulary, 4e: 9781437722642: Medicine & Health Science Books @ Amazon.com

You might be able to get them from the library, rather than paying for them.

The only drugs that I'm personally familiar with for treating worms in frogs are Panacur and Ivermectin, but there could be other ones that I don't know about.

Also wanted to let you know that I've been doing a little online research on coccidia treatment in frogs, and it looks like a relatively new drug called ponazuril may be the most effective treatment out there. You can find some interesting threads if you Google "ponazuril" and "frogs". I've also found a site where your vet can order an oral suspension made for reptiles and small animals (most of what you can find is intended for horses). Medication for Reptiles - Ponazuril Oral Suspension | Wedgewood Pet Rx

I'm planning on getting some more frogs soon, that will probably be WC, so I'm trying to prepare as much as possible.

Good luck with figuring out what's going on with your froggy and getting it fixed.
    0.0.6 Hyla versicolor
    7.0.0 Dendropsophus leucophyllatus
    2.0.0 Homo sapiens sapiens (K & C, the *other* froglets)

"Cleansed in the finest quality spring water, lightly killed, and then sealed in a succulent Swiss quintuple smooth treble cream milk chocolate envelope, and lovingly frosted with glucose."

4. 2 members thank Crunchy Frog for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Thanks much, CF! This is especially important to be because I now have the very sinking feeling that the vet I've been using doesn't know as much about frog things as I first thought. He did not give me a satisfactory answer about the horrible gross stuff that came out of Shirley (98% sure I'm dealing with dumped ova) and he's let me know that Lucy's fecal tested positive for "strongyle/round worm eggs"... Did he mean eggs from both strongyles AND round worms? Or did he mean that strongyles and round worms are the same thing, because I know that round worms are ascarids, NOT strongyles... and there are different types of strongyles to boot.

I looked up ponazuril and found a whole bunch of interesting info on a Chameleon forum... those Cham peeps are really up with stuff! I'll say one thing, after reading their posts I want to get my own microscope and learn how to do my own fecal testing for my frog kids!
    Mom to these fine frogs!
    4.4.0 White's tree frogs (Litoria caerulea): Sir Honey Lime, Bok & Choi, Martha, Shirley, Leapin' Loo and Ping & Pong; 0.2.1 Amazon Milk Frogs (Trachycephalus resinifictrix): Otto & Echo and Pip-Squeak aka Tiny

Nationality
    [Canada]

Hello, irThumper have you ever heard of a website called Anapsid? If not you could check there and they may have something and if not it may direct to another website or some more helpful books. Its not a forum but more of a website just filled with all sorts of info on reptiles and amphibians. I don't know if reptiles and amphibians can get the same parasites but there is section on the website labeled parasites, and the website does cover both. They even have a couple videos showing how to dissect and explains all the organs and stuff of the frog. You should check it out you may find something and if not what your looking for you may collect some other helpful info. Good luck and it was referred to me from my vet and its all vets and herpetologist that write the articles.

7. 2 members thank monster for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Thanks! Sounds good, I'll go check that out
    Mom to these fine frogs!

I found another really good looking book. Current Therapy in Reptile Medicine and Surgery, 1e Hardcover – December 30, 2013

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1455708933/...I1290L12P2CMNA

Although the title says "Reptile", it actually has a huuuge section on amphibians. It's also very up to date, as it was only published about a year ago.

I wish I had the kind of money to buy some of these. I'm going to have to see if any of them are available through our public library.
    0.0.6 Hyla versicolor
    7.0.0 Dendropsophus leucophyllatus
    2.0.0 Homo sapiens sapiens (K & C, the *other* froglets)

"Cleansed in the finest quality spring water, lightly killed, and then sealed in a succulent Swiss quintuple smooth treble cream milk chocolate envelope, and lovingly frosted with glucose."

10. This member thanks Crunchy Frog for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Getting some great info here, thanks very much! ^_^ Now all I have to do is figure out how to earn some extra $$ (after paying for fecal exams, frog meds, Exo-terras, etc!) to get these books!
    Mom to these fine frogs!

Thread Information