Thread: Intestinal Parasites- Hook Worms- Bloody Stools?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Unhappy Intestinal Parasites- Hook Worms- Bloody Stools?

Well, more trouble... I found VERY bloody stool behind Shirley tonight, it soaked into the wet paper towels and looked like complete carnage. Her poop was mushy and slimy looking, with some strange white things in there that didn't look like any worm or anything I've ever seen... I know coccidiosis can cause bloody diarrhea, but I've never seen blood in my frogs stools, there wasn't even any blood with sHEila's prolapse I did find a little of what looked like blood in one stool after I fed night crawlers last time, but the worms had been cut up and bleeding, so thought it was from that. I'm scared to death now... wondering though if this could be from the hookworm infection... last fecal was "clear of coccidia" (I know that can be misleading though) but showed hookworm in Jelly Bean and "what appeared to be a couple of hookworm eggs" in the sample from Shirley and Honey's shared tank. I was going to fast them tonight then start medicating them with liquid Panacur tomorrow night. I never saw blood in all this time with the coccidiosis, just some gelatinous poo stuff. They've been getting the same diet, small crickets alternated with 2-3 waxworms every other day, and a cut up night crawler once a week. Jelly Bean looked fat so was put onto an every other day scenedule, but the bloating could have been from the hookworms-- or from shedding-- or from croaking. Tonight he didn't have anything to eat (only three tiny crix yesterday) and tonight he doesn't look so puffed up and is running around in hunt mode. Shirley, for all the hemoragic looking mess that came out of her, is scuttling about, climbing and crawling everywhere in hunt mode and not lethargic at all. I tried giving her a honey water soak but she wouldn't have anything to do with it and seemed frantic to get out, so worried she would just stress herself out, I cleaned out their cage, put down a layer of soggy paper towels (was worried about loss of fluids from her-- they have some big fake leaves they can get up onto get off the paper towels) and left her and Honey alone. I msg'd their vet (who is in OK, I'm in OR) so will see what he says as soon as he sees it; I'm going to send the bloody stool off to him tomorrow too. Sure wish he wasn't so far away and we had a herp vet close by. :/

I read the big hookworm thread on here re: the Pixies btw, but nowhere did it mention bloody stool so I'm really wondering and worrying...
    Mom to these fine frogs!
    4.4.0 White's tree frogs (Litoria caerulea): Sir Honey Lime, Bok & Choi, Martha, Shirley, Leapin' Loo and Ping & Pong; 0.2.1 Amazon Milk Frogs (Trachycephalus resinifictrix): Otto & Echo and Pip-Squeak aka Tiny
    2.0.0 South American Bird Poo Frogs (Hyla marmorata): Ribbit & Rupert

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Intestinal Parasites- Hook Worms- Bloody Stools?

I'm sorry for all your troubles, Lisa I know nothing about parasites other than the basics, so I am of no help. I hope your vet can help you out. Good luck.
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

4. This member thanks LilyPad for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Intestinal Parasites- Hook Worms- Bloody Stools?

Quote Originally Posted by LilyPad View Post
    I'm sorry for all your troubles, Lisa I know nothing about parasites other than the basics, so I am of no help. I hope your vet can help you out. Good luck.
    Thanks, me too I heard from him this morning and he says their tests have shown minimal parasites, so I guess we won't know further until he checks this new sample.
    Mom to these fine frogs!
    4.4.0 White's tree frogs (Litoria caerulea): Sir Honey Lime, Bok & Choi, Martha, Shirley, Leapin' Loo and Ping & Pong; 0.2.1 Amazon Milk Frogs (Trachycephalus resinifictrix): Otto & Echo and Pip-Squeak aka Tiny
    2.0.0 South American Bird Poo Frogs (Hyla marmorata): Ribbit & Rupert

Thread Information