Thread: ACF feeding?

Tylon

Default ACF feeding?

I just have some questions obtaining to feeding.

Now usually, as soon as I put some flakes in the water, my bro's frog is right there eating it (He's an african clawed frog whos about 12 years old). Now I recently bought a little baby frog, however she dosn't seem to eat like he does. I have tried flakes, freeze dried blood worms, and small frog pellets left over from the time I had my african dwarf frogs. I'm afraid that she isn't really eating anything other than the pellets; and only if you put them right in front of her face. She seems to down those things. They are so small as well.

Is there anything I can do to help? And also- if she likes the small pellets- how many should I feed her? Or if there are any other foods I could try? She dosn't seem to like surfacing to eat; the pellets' food have to fall down right in front of her to snatch it in mid-fall. I also saw a pellet fall and she seemed to catch it in one of her hands, and then put it in her mouth.

I just worry that she isn't eating like she should. The other frog (he's in a different tank) senses food the moment it comes within his site... is it because my frog is young?

Any advice would be great! This is just something I noticed within the past couple days; I have only had her for about 4 days...

Thank you!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: ACF feeding?

Hi Kristina:

Be patient. Most likely she is suffering from stress. I suggest placing the new frog in a separate tank for a few days. Keep the tank in a quiet area, you can even wrap the tank with butcher paper to block out any outside activity. Eventually, the frog will settle down.

Feed her about 5 pellets every day. Adjust the amount as necessary.
    Terry Gampper
    Nebraska Herpetological Society

“If we can discover the meaning in the trilling of a frog, perhaps we may understand why it is for us not merely noise but a song of poetry and emotion.”
    ---
    Adrian Forsyth

Nationality
    [United States]
    North Providence, Rhode Island, United States

do you have these frogs in the same tank? that is considered a no-no. with such a voracious appetite, ACF eat ANYTHING dead, dying, or alive that they can fit in their mouth....including younger and smaller acf.

until the new little frog is over 1/2 the size of the other frog, and in some cases even larger, there is the threat that the larger frog can and will make an easy meal of the smaller frog

Nationality
    [New Zealand]

Kristina has said they are not housed together, buy great information Jenste.

Nationality
    [United States]

my mistake!!! i don't know how but i completely missed that part!
    (probably because i use the online feature of my phone and am not on a comp!)

Tylon

My frog doesn't seem to like eating...

Unless it is convenient for her and right in front of her face. Otherwise, she just lets food set in.

Alls she seems to do is hide and sleep...

Nationality
    [United States]

sometimes they take longer to adjust than others....when she gets hungry enough she will eat...

also, it sounds funny, but esp when they are young - - the more hiding places they have to escape to, the braver they will become. knowing they have a safe spot close by seems to give them courage

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

I would say your frog is just taking longer to get used to it's new enviroment. When I got my African clawed Frogs, one always used to eat more than other and it tended to switch between the two. I fed my frogs on frozen blood worm, half a block between the two. Only one survived but now he is fully settled and eats a full block to himself!

I would say carry on feeding pellets but try other food with it, I got recommended using tubifex or californian blackworms (I think it was called that you will have to check) they have nutrition in them, so if your frog isn't eating a lot, at least it would still be getting the nutrition it needs.

Good Luck

Thread Information