Thread: Shedding

Nationality
    [United States]

Question Shedding

I have noticed that my Male African Clawed Frog has been shedding more than usual. It was every week but he has shed today and Monday. Should I be worried. He has no other problems.Also today is Wednesday.
    Ammonia 0.25
    Nitrate 0
    Nitrites 0

PS He is a reticulated albino so I don't know if this is relevant but his webbing is veiny and the inner sides of his lower toes are some what red he has had this since his froglet days so.... I will get pics if necessary but right now my phone is dead.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Shedding

So he is still fine but I assume this isn't a problem then, as the ammonia levels do appear to have not changed and my female has done the same thing. Even though they do share a tank i have read online that these frogs can shed daily. So I figure they are healthy sheds that don't seem to affect them then there is no need to worry. But none of the less if you could post how often you notice your frogs shedding it would be appreciated. Then I will know for sure not to be worried. I do have to admit though I have been checking a lot closer lately and may be looking for problems.

CJP32

Mine seem to shed about weekly but I honestly don't pay too much attention because it doesn't seem excessive. I'll just see one having a fit and realize what they are doing when I see them eating the skin. I've watched them fight over the skin, lol.

If they seem healthy otherwise I probably wouldn't worry about it. I would try to get your ammonia down to 0 though. You might need more bio filtration.

Nationality
    [United States]

Ya I do know I have to lower the ammonia but there has been crazy weather and we lost power for like three days. But I also noticed the filter cartridge was filthy so replaced that but didn't clean it completely to keep the bacteria. But, none of the less thank you for the response it does put my mind at ease.

Thread Information