Thread: New Pacman frog trouble

Unnar Karl

Default New Pacman frog trouble

I recently got a pacman frog about a 5 inches, fat and big frog I have had him for a week and he has shown no interest in food. He is in a 10 gallon tank, water dish and moist eco earth, humidity is around 80% and temperature is in mid 70.
    He stays burried all day and all night, 2-3 inches deep in the soil. He never stick his eyes/head out to look for food.
    His enclosure is in non traffic area, he gets total peace and silence. I have a time 12 hour light and 12 hour dark. I know it is common for frogs to fasten for a week or two when being brought to a new home but am wondering if it still stressed out and if anyone here has any tips?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: New Pacman frog trouble

Temps are a little too low. Bump them up to 80-83 during the day and 75-80 at night.
    Also, if he's buried all the way, if it doesn't seem to bother him too much you can unbury him to offer food if it's been awhile.

Other than that, sounds like everything's good!
    3.0 Thamnophis sirtalis sirtalis
    1.1 Thamnophis cyrtopsis ocellatus
    0.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    1.0 Litoria caerulea
    0.1 Terrapene carolina
    0.1 Python regius
    0.1 Grammostola rosea
    0.0.1 Brachypelma smithi
    0.1 Hogna carolinensis

Unnar Karl

Thanks, ill bump up the heat. But now i'm starting to get a little bit worried, it's been 2 weeks and he still has not eaten a single cricket!
    He must be getting hungry but he shows no interest at all, i have also tried wiggling it in front of him with tongs.
    Any advise ?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Many new frogs take a while to get used to their new home and start eating. Offer food every day until he takes it. I reccomend you get a fecal exam done as well just to rule out any possible problems if you can locate a sample

Litoria
    caerulea 1.1.0 (White's Tree Frog)
    Lampropeltis triangulum hondurensis ​0.1.0 (Anerythristic Honduran Milk Snake) Tliltocatl albopilosus 0.0.2 (Curly Hair Tarantula)
    Aphonopelma hentzi 0.0.1 (Texas Brown Tarantula)
    Avicularia avicularia 0.0.2 (Pinktoe Tarantula)
    Brachypelma smithi ex. annitha 0.0.1 (Mexican Giant Red Knee Tarantula) Monocentropus balfouri 0.0.2 (Socotra Island Blue Baboon Tarantula)
    Harpactira pulchripes
    0.0.1 (Golden Blue Leg Baboon Tarantula)

Nationality
    [Canada]

Hello, are you only trying crickets at the moment? I asked because when I had my female Cranwelli she always took crickets as a baby, and then once she was about 2 inches she refused them and went to nightcrawlers. It didn't matter how much I tried she would not take them, she would turn from them or she would take it from the tongs in her lips then open her mouth and let them fall out. Drop a nightcrawler in front of her and it was gone before u could blink. Maybe try switching your feeders to something bigger and maybe he will eat, its worth a try. Also I don't how much truth there is to this but I once was told from the guy here at the reptile store that if the meal being presented doesn't seem big enough to waste the energy on they will wait for a bigger prey item to come strolling buy. He said it was part of the natural predator instinct and that many predator animals will do the same in the wild.

Unnar Karl

Thanks for the help
    I'm trying to find a bait worm breeder, if i do what should i ask him about the worms? I have heard that some bait worms are fed something that should not be eaten by frogs, is this true?

Nationality
    [United States]

You don't need to give them substrate that deep. I give both my pac's substrate as deep as they are tall. They'll dig in backwards so they can still mostly cover themselves with substrate. Then no need to try and uncover them for feeding.
    2.0 Bombina orientalis
    1.0 Bufo americanus
    0.1.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    0.1 Xenopus laevis

All my arachnids and other inverts listed in my profile

Unnar Karl

I have bumped up the heat with a heating mat on the side, that was 3 days ago and he still doesnt eat.
    I have force fed him crickets twice since i got him (3 weeks ago) he really hated it the poor thing
    What else can i do ? He shows food absolutely no interest at all, he isn't lethargic and he flipped over when i laid him on his back (Good sign right?).
    Is there any kind of bath that boosts his appetite?

pachoulzy

has he pooped at all since you've had him that you can tell?

Unnar Karl

I have found two large poops so far.

Unnar Karl

I have offered him food every day, still nothing. He burrows next to the heat pad with his eyes sticking out, but shows absolutely no interest in his food. I need help :/

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

5" frog very rarely is interested in crickets, they are simply too small for them to waste their energy for.

do you know what she was eating before you got her? Saying she cos 5" frog most likely is a girl, unless ornate. it's hard to break their habits, chances are she is used to being fed one type of food, or she is not tong trained. In that case you get her whatever she is used to and then go from there.
    if you don't know and there is no way to find this out, get her a live fussy, they are bigger then pinkies but still young enough to do any damage. Yes, it's not a healthy food, but you gotta see if she is eating, you can try to feed the healthy way later.
    also some frogs don't care for earthworms ( nightcrawlers) because of their size, say my over 6" girl would eat them only if I offer 3-4 at once on a tongs, or bend one so it'll look big.

can you post the pic of the frog and its tank?
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Unnar Karl

Thanks for the advise, now i just have to find some pinkies.
    He still has not eaten but i gave him a honey bath soak and he pooped, very relieved and so is he
    I offered him food afterwards, he took it but spat it out. First time he ever tries to grab food.

Thread Information