Thread: Frog woes

Default Frog woes

We have had Strike since May 2014. Up until about the end of last November things were going fine. It was at that point that temps started dropping here and he decided he was not going to eat anymore. I had been keeping him at around 78/70 and read that those temps were too low so I covered the top of his tank with foil and changed from a night time bulb to a regular house lamp bulb. This brings his tank up every morning to the 84/85 range and stops the humidity from fluctuating. We have a large heat pad on the back of the tank that only turns on at night when his main heat source goes out. This maintains his night time temp in the 77/78 range.

Changing the heat temps also changed his burrowing habit. Where before he would bury himself all day now he clears out a hole and sits above the substrate all day. I assume this is because he likes the current temp? I figured if he was hot he would move out of the way of the lamp to the cooler side of the tank or bury himself in the coco fiber/

After about 4 weeks of him not eating and his rear hip bones starting to show I started force feeding him. He gets 2 or 3 pieces of earth worm and 1 or 2 small roach nymphs ever other day. I also dust his nymphs on those days as well. Once I get them into his mouth he swallows them down without an issue. He last had a bowl movement 7 days ago and doesn't seem to have any issues doing this despite me force feeding him.

I had hoped that getting his temps right would shake him out his funk. He never gets in his water bowl on his own but I do give him a warm honey bath with treated water about once a week. He soaks for 15 then I change the water and he soaks for another 15 before returning to his tank. It is during these baths that he normally defecates.

He looks very skinny in the pics because he had just been force fed and as part of him showing me his displeasure he peed everything he had out into his bath bowl but I also do worry that he is not the size he should be at 9 months of age.

At this point I can only assume I am doing something wrong because otherwise he would be eating. Or am I worrying to much and killing him with kindness?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Name:  IMAG0766.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  58.6 KBName:  IMAG0765.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  72.1 KB

1. Size of enclosure: 10 gal
    2. # of inhabitants - 1
    3. Humidity: 75-80%
    4. Temperature- 85 day, 78 night
    5. Water - treated tap water sprayed daily
    6. Materials used for substrate: ground coco fiber
    7. Enclosure set up: live pothos and fake plants. Pothos were added after problem started in an attempt to make him feel more secure
    8. Main food source: dubia roach nymphs and earth worm pieces
    9. Vitamins and calcium? Calcium dusted nymphs
    10. Lighting: 60 watt incandescent bulb
    11. What is being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure: bulb during the day, heat mat on back of tank at night.
    12. When is the last time he/she ate: on his own? 2 months. Force fed tonight
    13. Have you found poop lately: exactly 1 week ago
    16. How old is the frog: give or take 9 months
    17. How long have you owned him/her: 8 months
    19. Frog food- how often and if it is diverse, what other feeders are used as treats: every other day
    20. How often the frog is handled: only for tank cleaning and soaking
    21. Is the enclosure kept in a high or low traffic area:very low
    22. Describe enclosure maintenance (water changes, cleaning, etc): spot clean daily, completely monthly

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Frog woes

Going to guess by the lack of response that there wasn't anything major I was doing wrong.

That said after 2+ months of not eating on his own he has suddenly come around. On the nights I was force feeding him I would always try to get him to take his dinner off the tongs prior to lifting him out and forcing him to eat. Well 4 nights ago he finally did it. He ate 4 or 5 dusted nymphs that night and has eaten at least 3 every night since.

I don't know what I did to bring this change back around or if my force feeding him was even necessary but at this point it would seem his appetite is back big time.

/shrug

Nationality
    [Russian Federation]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Yes, for the first 9 months, the frog looks small.
    When my Pacman was young, summer fed only "feed frogs" and summer - autumn, reached a size of an adult frog.

Pacman summer.

Pacman autumn.
    1.1.0 Xenopus laevis //Baculum extradentatum
    //Shelfordella tartara // Grillus bimaculatus
    //Blaberus craniifer //Achatina fulica
    Sorry, do not speak English. I use Google translator.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Have you dewormed your frog? He looks very emaciated. As of now you will need to buy a product called reptaboost and find a vet that will treat frogs. You will will have to force feed the reptaboost using the syringe provided in the package. Follow the instructions for mixing the product.

plasticfaye

I agree with contacting a vet. My pacmans were only that small for about a month, so there's got to be something inhibiting his growth. As Grif suggests, could be worms or another internal parasite. Theses frogs grow stupid-fast and he's just so tiny! =(

I'm so glad he's eating for you, though! That's good news at least.

Thread Information