Thread: GABF tank setup

Unnar Karl

Default GABF tank setup

I am currently setting up my GABF tank for a small juvenile. I'm thinking about going for 2/3 water and 1/3 eco earth for burrowing, what do you guys think? The water section is going to have a small gentle filter and a aquarium heater, do i need to cover the heater?
    Last but not least how often do i feed them, should i be daily while he's young?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Unnar Karl View Post
    I am currently setting up my GABF tank for a small juvenile. I'm thinking about going for 2/3 water and 1/3 eco earth for burrowing, what do you guys think? The water section is going to have a small gentle filter and a aquarium heater, do i need to cover the heater?
    Last but not least how often do i feed them, should i be daily while he's young?

I personally have a 1/3 water to land ratio as I've noticed my frog loves to dig more than be in the water but you may notice yours is different. I use a large water basin so it's removable and I can upgrade or downgrade if need be. I have a filter but no heater.... The filter is gentle so I don't cover it but I would with a heater. As for feeding a younger frog, offer food everyday. Once he's older every other day or couple days is good. Offering supplements couple times a week is recommended as well.

Unnar Karl

Default Re: GABF tank setup

Thanks, im going to start with a 50/50 split

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

water bowls are okay when they are babies until they are about 3-4 inches but after that water features are unnecessary. i have many posts about this subject. water features are bacteria factories. it is totally up to you but they dont need standing water in there home cages.. they still need to soak though. feed them in a different cage (i use a glass 10 gallon) then after they eat add luk warm declorinated water to that feeding cage.. they will go to the bathroom so you will need to clean the cage then re add luk warm declorinated water and let them soak for 30 mins - 2 hours. they start getting resless when they are sick of soaking. take them out and put them back into the home cage. the home cage stays super clean and they WILL NOT poo or pee in the home cage ever again. this is what they do in nature. they have a few spots they love to sit and a water hole they poo and pee in. but they never just sit in water unless its breeding season.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Quote Originally Posted by mattfish View Post
    water bowls are okay when they are babies until they are about 3-4 inches but after that water features are unnecessary. i have many posts about this subject. water features are bacteria factories. it is totally up to you but they dont need standing water in there home cages.. they still need to soak though. feed them in a different cage (i use a glass 10 gallon) then after they eat add luk warm declorinated water to that feeding cage.. they will go to the bathroom so you will need to clean the cage then re add luk warm declorinated water and let them soak for 30 mins - 2 hours. they start getting resless when they are sick of soaking. take them out and put them back into the home cage. the home cage stays super clean and they WILL NOT poo or pee in the home cage ever again. this is what they do in nature. they have a few spots they love to sit and a water hole they poo and pee in. but they never just sit in water unless its breeding season.
    Tell that to my Strax, who chooses to spend 90% of his time sitting in water.
    1.0 Giant African Bullfrog: Strax

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

he may spend that much time in the water bowl but that does NOT mean that its healthy. in the wild they Never sit in water 90% of their lives. they dont even sit in it when its available after breeding season. I dont think your a bad owner for allowing it but alot of people lose their frogs to water problems all the time. bacteria is usually the unseen killer. if you have a water bowl then the best thing is to have 2 water bowls and every day bleach one and use the other and the next day bleach that one and used the sterilzed one. you must do that almost everyday! frog enclosures have the Perfect enviroment for bacteria to multiply very quickly. its a lot different than a dog water dish. If you have a water feature in the enclosure then you MUST install an Ultraviolet sterlizer!!! CARBON DOES NOT KILL BACTERIA. after so many unusual frog deaths in water its time to understand why. but you all can do whatever you want to do. i choose to Not use a water bowl or water feature. cage stays cleaner and i can controll the bacteria way easier too. just a thought.

Thread Information