Thread: Feed Cricket noise?

froggymommy

Default Feed Cricket noise?

I am about to be the proud owner (well, co-owner with my daughter) of 2 Firebelly Toads. I am also purchasing a Kricket Keeper for small feeder crickets. My questions are really about the crickets. How much noise can I expect from the crickets? Are the going to drive me nuts? Would I be ok keeping them in a closet with the light on?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]

Default Re: Feed Cricket noise?

According to the size you should be feeding your frogs, they don't make no noise whatsoever! Crickets usually don't make a peep until they are adults size. I have a experiment going on at home too... I order between 3/8 to 1/2 crickets.. I kept one of the last 1/2 as a pet cricket as I want him to grow adult size to start chirping! Lol I miss the country and that would be my only escape.. Cricket chirping! Lol

But don't worry, youll be just fine

COngrats on the new frogs

froggymommy

Thanks! You are right I am happy to report the crickets are completely silent, and the toads seem very happy with their new habitat.

DEW

I have three breeding colonies ( about 30 crickets per colony, each colony has 10 males, so 30 males in all) I have them in my living room near the frogs and I find the chirping soothing as MaryPey mentioned, if you live or have lived in the country crickets chirps are just ambiance. That said, these are not at all loud, I don't know if it is the species or the number I keep but they don't seem nearly as loud as the ones outside.

Sort of a mute point if you are not breeding. They don't chirp until they reach their last instar at which point they get wings and the males start calling for females.

If you don't end up with crickets you don't feed until after they reach adult sage you won't hear a peep.

Don't forget to dust your crickets with calcium + D as well as a vitamin supplement, crickets are not particularly nutritious just a handy readily available source of feeder insects.

Another thing you may be interested in is that if you don't provide the crickets with heat it will slow their growth and you will have a size suitable for your needs longer than if heat is added. Most cricket activity occurs around 83 to 86 degrees F. so room temps are enough to slow growth.

I am still a novice at breeding crickets so I am just showing off and hopefully most of it is correct

Enjoy your new pets.

Thread Information