Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eight-legged addition.

Jace

Default Eight-legged addition.

Kamani is a Pink Toed tarantula. No idea if it is a boy or a girl, but I've been saying "she" for some reason. Approximately 9 months old I was told. Has had two molts and is due for a third shortly. Not too active right now, but I am hoping she will settle in nicely.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Eight-legged addition.

I'm not sure "cute" is the right word, but definitely interesting.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Amphibians

nice!

Jace

Thanks John and Ritchie. I agree John...cute might be stretching it, but I do love her colouring.

Amphibians

Definetely none of the arachnids I have right now would fall under "cute." But I will say I've felt that way about tarantulas in the past, esspecially the incredibly fuzzy ones. But it really all goes out the window once you see them eat.

Jace

Lol-hmmmm, I haven't fed her yet. I am moving her to a new setup today, so she'll be a bit stressed. Hope she'll eat tonight though. And start making her web. She had a nice one going previously.

Nationality
    [New Zealand]

Wow Jace, I think she is very cute and too beautiful looking to be a boy.

I hope she/he settles in well. Keep us updated.

Jace

Thanks Ebony, I will. I'm hoping she'll eat a cricket or two tonight...keep fingers crossed!!

lnaminneci

Jo-Anna,

She is beautiful! ( I'm getting a vibe she's a girl too) Love her coloring, and she's very furry!
    You picked out a nice name, Kamani. I believe it's a sacred, mystical tree in Hawaii.
    Hope she settles in nicely to her new home.

~Lesley~

Jace

Thank you, Lesley-and you are the first one who knew what "Kamani" is!! Happy dance, happy dance. As soon as I saw the name, I thought it was perfect for her.

Here is another picture of her and one of her new setup. I will be putting more branches in there as soon as I bake the ones I found at a local lake today. She is likes to hid in the leaves near the top right of the tank.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Nationality
    [Ireland]

I think I'm going to start keeping House Centipedes .
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Jace

Lol-nice. What, 8 legs aren't enough, John? Kamani is not that bad, is she? She might need a shave, but other than that, she is pretty docile. I prefer Afican Giant Millipeds over centipedes...but millipeds are useless against spiders. But they are cuter!!

Jace

An update: Kamani ate her first cricket in my care-almost felt sorry for the cricket, as it didn't have a chance. As well, less than 12 hours in her new setup, and she has started her web, something she didn't even attempt in the plastic container I put her in. Definitely a good sign.

cricketfrog30

Cool Re: Eight-legged addition.

i like how trarantulas use frogs to watch there eggs

Hmm.. I dont know if this is right. But here it goes....

I think I read somewhere that female spiders and tarantulas have a large bulbous thorax(butt), they tend to live longer than the males.

Good thing about these, you only have to feed 6 crickets a week(I think its a week? or maybe every two weeks?). I have delt with a customer who was obssessed with arachnids. Guy had pink toeds, mexican red knees, baboon tarantula, king bird eaters, cobalt blues, and many more.

If you want detailed caresheets for arachnids, there is a forum called "Arachnoboards" or something. But the people are really h ow do I say this... rude, and obnoxious, and a bit high headed. Sure if someone from here is a member from there and disagrees, I apologize. Just had my own personal experience, and wanted to make sure she knew what to expect. I dont know. Its certainly not like this place or caudata. :U Anywho good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    I think I'm going to start keeping House Centipedes .
    I once wanted to keep a desert centipede. you know? The huge ones that I think are black body, and red head? or is it other way around? and some sort of forest centipede. Nevertheless arachnids, scare me. Im more fond of slugs and snails. Lol. But Idk if its possible to keep one.

Jace

In the last two days, she has eaten 4 crickets. I'm just going to keep giving her food until she refuses it and then I will let her be for a few days before trying again. She's pretty much stayed in one spot since being put into her new enclosure, but I am seeing more and more webbing happening. I am keeping the moss damp but not moist to help with humidity and though she hasn't touched her water dish-as far as I know-she gets fresh water everyday. I am hoping that she will molt soon and I will have a cool "show and tell" to take to work....geez, what am I, five??!! lol

Kurt

Quote Originally Posted by Deku View Post
    I once wanted to keep a desert centipede. you know? The huge ones that I think are black body, and red head? or is it other way around? and some sort of forest centipede. Nevertheless arachnids, scare me. Im more fond of slugs and snails. Lol. But I dont know if its possible to keep one.
    I have kept Scolopendra heros castaneiceps, Sonoran red-headed centipede. Not to worry they are not arachnids, they are from the class Chilopoda.

Jace

I've never heard of a pet slug, but I used to have a snail when I was in elementary school, and my daughter brought one home from her school when she was in grade 3 or 4. Easiest pet to care for! I was trying to get another millipede for a while, but Canada goes back and forth on them being imported. They should pick a side and stick with it.

flamesbane

Quote Originally Posted by Jace View Post
    Thank you, Lesley-and you are the first one who knew what "Kamani" is!! Happy dance, happy dance. As soon as I saw the name, I thought it was perfect for her.

Here is another picture of her and one of her new setup. I will be putting more branches in there as soon as I bake the ones I found at a local lake today. She is likes to hid in the leaves near the top right of the tank.
    I really like the enclosure, make sure to provide her plenty of hides! A cork bark tube is perfect, but anything similar will work.

Hmm.. I dont know if this is right. But here it goes....

I think I read somewhere that female spiders and tarantulas have a large bulbous thorax(butt), they tend to live longer than the males.
    Females tarantulas do live longer than males, however the abdomen (tarantulas don't have a thorax, the abdomen is the "butt" and the cephalothorax aka prosoma is the "head") size has nothing to with sex. A tarantula's abdomen size is directly related to how well hydrated and fed they are.

Only a very few species of tarantula show any sexual dimorphism until the males maturing molt. At this point the male will get leggy, skinny, and change color (normally duller, but some species get brighter such as specimens from genus Pamphobeteus), develop swollen pedipals and in some species have tibial hooks. At this point the male will live 2 months to a year before dying. Females of some species can live 20 years or more (the average for most species is closer to 10)

There are two ways to sex a tarantula before it matures, the first and most accurate is looking for the presence of spermatheca in the spider's molt. Spermatheca are the females sperm receptacle and are shed with each molt. Males lack these. This is located on the inside of the molt on the vent between the first pair of book lungs and looks like a little flap.

The second and less accurate method is by using ventral or epiandrous fusillae sexing. This method looks for the difference in hair patterns around the vent, distance between book lungs, and presence of bald spots. This method take some practice and knowledge of the species.

Good thing about these, you only have to feed 6 crickets a week(I think its a week? or maybe every two weeks?). I have delt with a customer who was obssessed with arachnids. Guy had pink toeds, mexican red knees, baboon tarantula, king bird eaters, cobalt blues, and many more.
    Really the best method is to offer food once a week, but really you should base it off abdomen size. It is not uncommon for some species such as G. rosea to fast for 6+ months. Then other species such as N. chromatus will eat almost constantly.

If you want detailed caresheets for arachnids, there is a forum called "Arachnoboards" or something. But the people are really h ow do I say this... rude, and obnoxious, and a bit high headed. Sure if someone from here is a member from there and disagrees, I apologize. Just had my own personal experience, and wanted to make sure she knew what to expect. I dont know. Its certainly not like this place or caudata. :U Anywho good luck.
    Admittedly AB member can be a bit elitist, but it is the absolute best place to get information about tarantulas. However keep in mind there aren't really any "caresheets" for tarantulas. The reason being that there are so many species in the hobby but only 3 main care types. Aboreal, terrestrial and fossorial.

Quote Originally Posted by Jace View Post
    In the last two days, she has eaten 4 crickets. I'm just going to keep giving her food until she refuses it and then I will let her be for a few days before trying again. She's pretty much stayed in one spot since being put into her new enclosure, but I am seeing more and more webbing happening. I am keeping the moss damp but not moist to help with humidity and though she hasn't touched her water dish-as far as I know-she gets fresh water everyday. I am hoping that she will molt soon and I will have a cool "show and tell" to take to work....geez, what am I, five??!! lol
    Good call providing a water dish, make sure you keep it open and clean. Tarantulas will drink on occasion. You can also mist her enclosure, Avics will drink the droplets off the side of the glass. She will like it humid, but make sure to watch for mold. When tarantulas eat they leave behind what is known as a "bolus" that will mold in pretty short order. If you are having trouble finding them some isopods will help with clean up. A happy tarantula is a tarantula that sits in one spot. This shows she is comfortable in her enclosure. Typically when a tarantula get's close to a molt they will refuse food, and often create a space to molt on. If she flips on her back you know she is getting ready to molt, at this point make sure not to disturb her.

If she is 9 months old she has had more than 2 molts. Tarantulas molt twice before they even look like tarantulas. When they are young they will molt every 3-4 weeks, the space between molts get longer as they get older. Adult females molt every 9 months to 18 months. Avics can actually go from post-embryo to adult in 18 months with proper feeding and temperatures. Good luck with your new addition!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information