Thread: african clawed frog - sores

Samuell

Default african clawed frog - sores

Hi I was hoping someone might be able to point me in the right direction for advice. We have two African clawed frogs (had them for about 2 months) on has developed a red sore on (we think her) tail bone. She's also lots bigger and eats more than the other. Today she formed this sore and you can see red veins much more prominent than before. If anyone could offer advice it would be very much appreciated thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Samuell

Default Re: african clawed frog - sores

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 904
Size:  73.7 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 899
Size:  74.3 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 902
Size:  81.3 KB
    Last edited by Samuell; January 26th, 2015 at 12:15 PM. Reason: Photos added

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by Samuell View Post
    Hi I was hoping someone might be able to point me in the right direction for advice. We have two African clawed frogs (had them for about 2 months) on has developed a red sore on (we think her) tail bone. She's also lots bigger and eats more than the other. Today she formed this sore and you can see red veins much more prominent than before. If anyone could offer advice it would be very much appreciated thanks
    The frog in the picture is a female. Females are larger and become sexually active much sooner than males. ACFs generally have an excellent immune system which protects them from bacterial, fungal and viral infections and the red sore may go away on is own. Red sores and patches on the skin especially around the leg and groin area could be a sign of "red leg disease" caused by the bacteria Aeromonas hydrophila. This is a dangerous disease that requires immediate treatment. The pictures do not indicate that it is serious. Isolate the sick frog(s). Try Maracyn or Maracyn Plus, use about half of the normal dose (frogs are very sensitive to chemicals). Monitor about a week, the sores should clear up. If there is a vet or university biology lab near by, you may want to have them look at the frog, it is likely they can determine what the infection is. Let us know how the frog is doing.
    Last edited by tgampper; January 26th, 2015 at 12:44 PM. Reason: add more info
    Terry Gampper
    Nebraska Herpetological Society

“If we can discover the meaning in the trilling of a frog, perhaps we may understand why it is for us not merely noise but a song of poetry and emotion.”
    ---
    Adrian Forsyth

Samuell

Quote Originally Posted by tgampper View Post
    The frog in the picture is a female. Females are larger and become sexually active much sooner than males. ACFs generally have an excellent immune system which protects them from bacterial, fungal and viral infections and the red sore may go away on is own. Red sores and patches on the skin especially around the leg and groin area could be a sign of "red leg disease" caused by the bacteria Aeromonas hydrophila. This is a dangerous disease that requires immediate treatment. The pictures do not indicate that it is serious. Isolate the sick frog(s). Try Maracyn or Maracyn Plus, use about half of the normal dose (frogs are very sensitive to chemicals). Monitor about a week, the sores should clear up. If there is a vet or university biology lab near by, you may want to have them look at the frog, it is likely they can determine what the infection is. Let us know how the frog is doing.
    Thank you very much - puts my mind at ease I will give it a go thanks

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

It looks like a rectal prolapse. My advice is to Google: xenopus rectal prolapse for more information.

Samuell

Quote Originally Posted by Samuell View Post
    Thank you very much - puts my mind at ease I will give it a go thanks
    Thank you very much she's back to herself again :-) the photo attached is her friend in the tank. I asked for two African clawed frogs of similar size, he is lots smaller. As a novice I just wondered if he was an African clawed frog? Many thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images  

CJP32

It looks like he is. The easiest way I know to tell them from the dwarfs is ACF don't have webbed hands and the dwarfs do. Also if he was a dwarf your other frog would probably have eaten him by now because they are so much smaller. I have 6 ACFs and their size varies quite a bit, the biggest is probably twice the size of the smallest. They seem to get along fine even with the size difference.

Samuell

U
    Quote Originally Posted by CJP32 View Post
    It looks like he is. The easiest way I know to tell them from the dwarfs is ACF don't have webbed hands and the dwarfs do. Also if he was a dwarf your other frog would probably have eaten him by now because they are so much smaller. I have 6 ACFs and their size varies quite a bit, the biggest is probably twice the size of the smallest. They seem to get along fine even with the size difference.
    Thank you very much, they are amazing little guys I still have so much to learn about them and really appreciate your expertise.

Thread Information