Thread: new baby concerns - i need a little advice

pachoulzy

Question new baby concerns - i need a little advice

first off, hello!
    welp, today i made a long trip to my first reptile expo, so very eager to check out all of the neat cold-blooded critters and morphs. i came across a precious little strawberry pacman baby, a morph i'd been eyeing for quite some time. i had barely seen any pacman frogs through the entire expo, let alone the one i was looking for in particular. well, i may have jumped the gun and purchased him before thoroughly examining him out of excitement and i'm kicking myself for it now. now, first off, the frog was sitting in water- something i'd seen various other frogs at other tables sitting in, which i thought was odd, but didn't think too heavily on it. i took some paper towels and soaked up the water so he had a soft, moist place to sit in his little cup, without sitting close to his chin in old water. the water was disgusting, it was cloudy and had pieces of shed skin floating in it. the poor little frog had skin falling off of its legs and it had a snotty brown color. i figured it was from sitting in dirty water for much too long under quite stressful conditions but more and more i realized this probably wasn't a good purchase and the breeder wasn't ideal (first expo, i was giddy). i brought the tiny frog home and got him into a clean, shallow dish of water (dechlorinated and aged a bit) to help clean him off. i noticed his body is quite round and puffy, but not the normal "hey, i'm mad at you! look at how big i am!" puffy, but a swollen type of puffy. i moved him into a small critter tote with eco-earth to observe him and he just seems.. off. his legs seem very thin and his eyes look half closed after he closes and opens them. i didn't notice any redness on his belly or legs and i haven't tried to feed him yet because i really do not think he will take food. he seems lethargic and won't burrow into the substrate, something my other two pacman frogs did immediately after bringing them home. something just seems very off to me. i'm largely concerned about this little one's well being and would just like some input on the matter, if anyone has an ideas as to how i can bring him back to health and thoughts on the brownish shed-skin and very skinny legs. he is very small and young, so the skinny legs could be because he hasn't had them for too long, but i just wanna be sure, haha.

the temp in his little tote is around 80 degrees, humidity is 80% currently

Name:  image1.JPG
Views: 139
Size:  108.9 KB

Name:  image2.JPG
Views: 134
Size:  112.2 KB

Name:  image3.JPG
Views: 141
Size:  121.4 KB
    (sorry about the way i'm holding him, here)

i've had two other pacman frogs (one about 4 inches, one still about 1.5 inches in length) for some time now and i've never had problems with them, so this is a little new to me. i did a lot of research before picking up a pacman, but reading about illness/stress/etc and seeing it first hand can be different for some people, like myself. this is also the youngest frog i've had so far. i greatly appreciate any info/opinions you guys have to offer, this is an awesome and informative community. oh, and please tell me if i'm stressing over something minor with my novel of a post. i just love my froggies and i want them to have the best.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: new baby concerns - i need a little advice

The brownish shed is nothing to worry about. It turns that color if it doesn't immediately come off during a shed.

Don't know what could be wrong, but you can try a soak in 1 part UNflavored pedialyte to 10 parts water. That should get some nutrients into him and help with the lethargy. Hopefully after that he'll eat for you.
    3.0 Thamnophis sirtalis sirtalis
    1.1 Thamnophis cyrtopsis ocellatus
    0.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    1.0 Litoria caerulea
    0.1 Terrapene carolina
    0.1 Python regius
    0.1 Grammostola rosea
    0.0.1 Brachypelma smithi
    0.1 Hogna carolinensis

4. This member thanks DVirginiana for this post:

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

It's better to bring up your concerns than have a sick frog go untreated. I personally don't see anything wrong with him. He may not be strong enough yet to burrow, just keep him well fed and some cover so he feels safe.

Congrats on the new frog.

pachoulzy

thank you for the responses, guys. the frog seems much, much better today and has made itself a shallow burrow. i think paranoia was hitting me hard after reading so many horror stories about sickly frogs. it's my first time with such a little, baby frog.. it's easy to forget the simplest explanations at times, haha.

Thread Information