Thread: Pacman very sick! Need advice fast :s

Unnar Karl

Default Pacman very sick! Need advice fast :s

Hi

I just bought a Carnwell horned frog, very beautiful brown/red color with green spots.
    The frog is extremely lethargic and has a cloudy, swollen, blue-ish left eye. There are no broken vessels or blood in the eye.
    He only responds when agitated, puffs himself up and squeaks, That's a good sign right? Although when he puffs himself he tilts to one side like his right front leg is weak. I just had to get him out of there. I put him in a clean 65 liter tank, with moist (not soggy) coco-fiber bedding and a clean water dish.
    What is the first thing to do ? How can i treat him properly ? I have heard of some honey baths or something similar to boost him, any advice ?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Pacman very sick! Need advice fast :s

Can you post a picture of the bad eye?

It sounds like you're looking at an infection. The bad news is you're probably going to need to see a vet for antibiotics; that sort of thing won't really get better on its own. The good news is that a simple course of antibiotics isn't that expensive usually.
    3.0 Thamnophis sirtalis sirtalis
    1.1 Thamnophis cyrtopsis ocellatus
    0.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    1.0 Litoria caerulea
    0.1 Terrapene carolina
    0.1 Python regius
    0.1 Grammostola rosea
    0.0.1 Brachypelma smithi
    0.1 Hogna carolinensis

Unnar Karl

Do you by any chance know what medication i need ? There is no veterinary doctor available until monday and i don't even know if they take in amphibians.

Nationality
    [United States]

Sorry but I don't think anything you can get over the counter will help. They use special antibiotics for eyes, and regular ones can just make things worse.

Many dog/cat vets will be willing to see reptiles for minor things like infections. If they seem hesitant to see the frog, tell them you just think you need opthalmic antibiotics and you have no other treatment options. That's what I did with my Turtle when she had a severe eye infection and the only vet available didn't really do herps.
    1.0 Litoria caerulea
    0.1 Terrapene carolina
    0.1 Python regius
    0.1 Grammostola rosea
    0.0.1 Brachypelma smithi
    0.1 Hogna carolinensis

Unnar Karl

Thanks for the advise Dvirginiana.
    POLLYWOGS WORLD OF FROGS
    At the bottom of this article are a couple of treatments for cloudy/infected eyes, is this something worth trying or will i cause more damage like you said? Cause i'm in a pickle, there is no herp doctor in my city so i'm willing to try anything.

Nationality
    [United States]

I've never heard of those treatments before. Putting things like in a frog's eye could really do harm if you aren't 100% sure the source that is telling you to do it is a good one. Personally, I wouldn't risk it.
    Right now, you may want to put him in a hospital tank (moist paper towels for bedding, change them every day) and keep his temp and humidity right. Correct husbandry conditions may boost his immune system enough to beat this. It's about the best info I can give you other than trying to take him to a regular vet and get antibiotics from there.

I have heard of people using baytril to treat things like this, but I have no idea on the dosage or delivery methods. Hopefully someone who has experience with that will see this.
    1.0 Litoria caerulea
    0.1 Terrapene carolina
    0.1 Python regius
    0.1 Grammostola rosea
    0.0.1 Brachypelma smithi
    0.1 Hogna carolinensis

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Unnar,

If you have a facebook account, I'd like you to search for a breeder named Michael Novy. He is from Rainforest Junkies. He knows a lot of home remedies for sick frogs. He might be able to help.

Otherwise, I get him to a vet. It does sound infected, especially if he is weak.

You can do a 1:10 plain, clear, unflavored Pedialyte soak for about 15 minutes. Mix one part Oefiakyte to 10 parts spring water or dechlorinated water. Use approx 80'F warm water, just a tiny bit warmer than lukewarm, but not too warm. This will give him some electrolytes.

I hope he pulls through for you!
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

9. This member thanks Heatheranne for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Nationality
    [United States]

Any luck?

Unnar Karl

I recently returned him to the store for a refund (i know it's greedy only thinking about money but he cost me 250$, bit much for sick frog). He was still extremely lethargic and did not eat at all, very defensive and scared the poor thing . I got another Carnwell from another local pet store, that guy is very healthy and active. But i still feel sorry for the other frog, wish i had the knowledge and time to nurse him :/

Nationality
    [United States]

Honestly, that's not a bad thing. Did you clean out the tank and use new substrate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nationality
    [United States]

I've always heard Melafix sold for fish works well for frogs as well. Dilute as listed on the bottle, soak the frog in it for a few minutes. Then bath of plain treated water to rinse. Repeat 1x a week.

May not be as effective for an eye infection as it would an infected wound on the body. But figured it could be useful incase you run into a similar problem again in the future.
    2.0 Bombina orientalis
    1.0 Bufo americanus
    0.1.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    0.1 Xenopus laevis

All my arachnids and other inverts listed in my profile

Thread Information