Views: 148
Size:  26.0 KBName:  kermitt.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  22.3 KBName:  kermittt.JPG
Views: 145
Size:  26.7 KBName:  kkeermit.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  51.5 KB

I would like to post a little information from my experience with albino claw frogs. I had purchased mine when she was tiny. she is a yr old now. I introduced her to my tank with several fish. giant danios,tiger barbs,
    black neon tetras, red eye tetras, bleeding heart tetras, & a pleco. NO I am not saying to go get fish & add them with your frog. I am just saying it`s a year now & she has not attempted to eat mine. well at least not yet. If I put some rosey reds in there ( swimming ) my gosh she is all over them. She eats them like there going out of style. My fish swim by her all the time & float by her. Maybe they have no scent & she is just not interested in them. Maybe because I introduced her when she was just tiny & maybe she adapted to the fish. ever since i got her I have hand fed her. For i did not want to make a messed and get the aquarium dirty. the fish do eat the food too, but the frog makes a mess with the freeze dried worms & stuff like that so i break little pieces and I soak them and hand feed her it , I hand feed her worms & sometimes I will drop them in there so she can hunt them herself. But I keep a eye out so it is not left in the tank to rot & make my water bad. I stick my hand in the tank and she will meet me 1/2 way.she will start crawling in my hand and nibbling on my fingers until she gets the food. sometimes she just crawls in the palm of my hand when I go to feed her & just stays there. I have a 30 gallon tall she seems pretty happy, I have a hiding house for her when she`s ready to play hide n seek lol. I am sure you know they get skid dish & hide when startled. Mine does especially when I turn the light on. another thing is she is always hitting herself in the head/face she will dart to the top of the water & she will hit the lid. she had escaped once already. I thought the cats was chasing a ball at first. luckily they did not hurt her. when they say they are escape artist, That`s NO lie. so make sure you have a lid if your going to get a ACF. They are very sensitive to sound I bought so many different filters but they all are noisy. I been thinking about buying a canister external filter. The pet shop never told me she was going to get big. I thought she was just a tiny aquarium frog. I asked them what to feed it they said fish flakes & turtle pellets. I have a story with pet supplies plus but that`s another story, I read today on the forum about floating plants & that they like to float on them. Maybe I will go today and buy some for her. If I have left anything out & if your curious about anything I am here.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: ACF n FISH

Quote Originally Posted by Sueshee View Post
    I would like to post a little information from my experience with albino claw frogs. I had purchased mine when she was tiny. she is a yr old now. I introduced her to my tank with several fish. giant danios,tiger barbs,
    black neon tetras, red eye tetras, bleeding heart tetras, & a pleco. NO I am not saying to go get fish & add them with your frog. I am just saying it`s a year now & she has not attempted to eat mine. well at least not yet. If I put some rosey reds in there ( swimming ) my gosh she is all over them.
    Hmm, that's a lot of fish for a 30 gallon high, the pleco alone needs a larger aquarium (like 55 gallons). Have you tested your water for Nitrates, Nitrite, and Ammonia?

She eats them like there going out of style.
    Rosie Reds aren't a good food source and could contain parasites and disease though.

My fish swim by her all the time & float by her. Maybe they have no scent & she is just not interested in them. Maybe because I introduced her when she was just tiny & maybe she adapted to the fish. ever since i got her I have hand fed her. For i did not want to make a messed and get the aquarium dirty. the fish do eat the food too, but the frog makes a mess with the freeze dried worms & stuff like that so i break little pieces and I soak them and hand feed her it , I hand feed her worms & sometimes I will drop them in there so she can hunt them herself. But I keep a eye out so it is not left in the tank to rot & make my water bad.
    I'm not sure why clawed frogs some times ignore certain fish. It's possible the frog does make attempts on these fish at night or when you're not around though or the fish just are too large for the frog to eat. Most predators like clawed frogs prefer to take prey 1/3 their size, the fish may just be big enough to seem to large for the frog to eat. Your frog appears to be male, males are a lot smaller smaller than females. A female frog probably would have cleaned house by now..

I stick my hand in the tank and she will meet me 1/2 way.she will start crawling in my hand and nibbling on my fingers until she gets the food. sometimes she just crawls in the palm of my hand when I go to feed her & just stays there. I have a 30 gallon tall she seems pretty happy, I have a hiding house for her when she`s ready to play hide n seek lol. I am sure you know they get skid dish & hide when startled. Mine does especially when I turn the light on. another thing is she is always hitting herself in the head/face she will dart to the top of the water & she will hit the lid. she had escaped once already. I thought the cats was chasing a ball at first. luckily they did not hurt her. when they say they are escape artist, That`s NO lie. so make sure you have a lid if your going to get a ACF.
    Right. They will escape from holes in lids or open tanks. I myself use a glass lid and I use two clips to keep the glass lid propped open just 1/4th of an inch to allow air in. I lower my water about 3 inches from the top to allow an area to breath safely. The back is plastic and cut to fit my canister filter tubes, it's not an exact fit, so some air can get in that way too.

They are very sensitive to sound I bought so many different filters but they all are noisy. I been thinking about buying a canister external filter. The pet shop never told me she was going to get big. I thought she was just a tiny aquarium frog. I asked them what to feed it they said fish flakes & turtle pellets. I have a story with pet supplies plus but that`s another story, I read today on the forum about floating plants & that they like to float on them. Maybe I will go today and buy some for her. If I have left anything out & if your curious about anything I am here.
    Don't worry too much about what type of filter you use. I've used all kinds of filters with my frogs. I use a canister filter these days though and do not regret it. They offer the best filtration in my opinion and they are very quiet. Also make sure you are keeping up on partial water changes. I change out roughly 30% of my 40 gallon tank per week, it houses 4 clawed frogs (3 large females).

As far as food is concerned, try canadian nightcrawlers. I buy mine at Walmart in the fishing area, they are just bait worms and they work very well. I feed my frogs 2 nightcrawlers per week, some times I feed my frogs reptomin, which is also fine for frogs too. You can throw in some other stuff for variety, like frozen foods, clawed frogs will eat anything.

I use water sprite/indian fern for a floating plant, it provides cover and makes the frogs feel safer. If you can find some in your area I would recommend it, it grows very fast and will quickly cover your aquarium. I throw mine out by the handful because it is basically an aquatic weed.

Thread Information