Thread: The Infamous Surinam Horned Frog

sloom

Default The Infamous Surinam Horned Frog

Let's end the confusion for myself and others. Surinam Horned Frogs, are they kept like pacmans? Do they need feeder frogs? How is their behavior? I really want one, but won't get one if I know I can't treat it properly. Would I have to force feed it its entire life? Please help.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Snow

Default Re: The Infamous Surinam Horned Frog

Following this. I would like to know also, it seems like everyone says they are horrible and tricky to take care of with most dying shortly after getting a new home. But I'll see youtube videos of a bunch just having fun and eating everything in front of them. Almost purchased one recently but remembered hearing about the care for them.

sloom

Quote Originally Posted by Snow View Post
    Following this. I would like to know also, it seems like everyone says they are horrible and tricky to take care of with most dying shortly after getting a new home. But I'll see youtube videos of a bunch just having fun and eating everything in front of them. Almost purchased one recently but remembered hearing about the care for them.
    See, that's the thing. On websites and YouTube these frogs look healthy and don't even seem scared of their owners. I even emailed the website I got my gabf from asking if they have a good feeding response and they said yes. I mean it does seem strange that pet shops would be able to keep them if they weren't eating. On the other hand I've seen nearly all people on FrogForum posting about Surinams being advanced to keep and rrequiring forcefeed. This species is imo the most beautiful horned frog and I would love to keep one, but if they truly are as difficult to keep as some say I won't get one for fear of not being able to provide its needs.

Nationality
    [United States]

Im no cornuta expert but from what ive heard; the main issue when buying them is that they will generally be WC animals that are loaded with parasites. Add stress of import, and youve got yourself a sickly short lived frog. They are even more difficult to breed than cranwelli. Ive heard hormones wont even get them breeding reliably.

If your lucky enough to come across one of the CB offspring that are far and few between than youve got a good chance.
    2.0 Bombina orientalis
    1.0 Bufo americanus
    0.1.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    0.1 Xenopus laevis

All my arachnids and other inverts listed in my profile

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

As Matthew said, the WC frogs will have parasites and will often refuse to eat. Simple solution is to buy captive bred frogs. The WC may be less expensive, only 50-60$ in some cases but the larger price will definitely pay off (no pun intended) Its best to feed them night crawlers and a variety of insects for the best nutrition.
    "A Righteous man cares for his animals" - Proverbs 12:10
    1.0.0 Correlophus cilliatus
    2.1.0 Bombina orientalis
    0.1.0 Ambystoma mexicanum
    0.0.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    1.0.0 Litoria caerulea
    1.1.0 Dendrobates auratus "Nicaraguan"
    0.0.2 Dendrobates tinctorius "Azureus"

Thread Information