Thread: Red eye tree frog with cloudy eyes

Voodoo15uk

Question Red eye tree frog with cloudy eyes

Hi, I'm new here.

just joined as I am requiring some help with one of my red eyes which I have just noticed has two cloudy eyes- doesn't look like fungus at mo. I attached some pics.

any advice would be greatly appreciated. It's approx 2years old, female I think as it's one of the largest in a colony of 5. Humidity is regulated as is the temperature. Had it for a year. Eats well. Jumps well. Feed them crickets.

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images    

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Red eye tree frog with cloudy eyes

first off, are you 100% sure of the frogs age? I had a frog who had cloudy eyes like that. After the discovery, he died about a month later. He was over 7 years old. (Gray Treefrog.)

The frog doctor
    See number 12. Google searches had left me with the impression that my baby hada disease. I tried baths in this stuff that was supposed to fix the cloudy eyes/Chytrid in fish(which according to someone somewhere, was safe for frogs too). Nothing worked. The whole time my little dude remained active and bouncy, up until he passed.

According to this doctor, too much fat in the froggie's diet may be to blame. Interesting.

Also, I've never had a red eye, so maybe they're different, but those brown-red splotches on the frog's skin don't look good at all. :\ They look like little burns or bites or something. If there's no chance your little guy has been hurt in the tank, you might want to take it to a frog doc and make sure that that is NOT a fungus.

Until you know what's going on, I'd put him in a quarantine tank, so whatever he's got (if anything) is less like to spread to your other frogs.

Hopefuly another member has some more info on treatments, because my attempts at curing cloudy eyes were unsuccessful.
    I have a frog. She's fat and green. Her name is Gertrude, because she is fat and green.

Voodoo15uk

Hey
    thanks for the reply. Pretty sure it's no older than 2. Don't know any vets who deal with frogs in York so a bit stuck there. Will keep an eye on her and hope it doesn't get any worse.

Voodoo15uk

The white/brown dots are normal markings for them, a bit like freckles In People

Nationality
    [Canada]

Those marking don't look like normal markings at all... I am 90% sure they are bruises... this frog might be stressed and jumping eratically in the tank, hurting itself. Phenomenom known as nose rubbing but in this case this looks severe... Drastic changes need to be done if not this frog health will rapidly go down imo.
    The white spots on its back are totally normal.
    I'd quarantine that frog right away. If you're not sure how, just lemme know I can go into details but you really want to put that frog in a sterile environment and reduce it's stress. As for the cloudy eyes, that one is a hard one.
    What are you feeding the frog usually?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Voodoo15uk View Post
    The white/brown dots are normal markings for them, a bit like freckles In People
    On the back? Yes. Those i've seen. But...on the face? That doesn't look right to me. They look like the welts I get after being eaten by a mosquito.
    I have a frog. She's fat and green. Her name is Gertrude, because she is fat and green.

Voodoo15uk

Hi, we Feed them crickets. I got some prophylaxis I use for my koi, would that be ok to use on its head, it's got antibacterial properties in it and is waterproof? Got a quarantine tank. tank is well established however I'm thinking the lads have been getting a bit frisky with her. Won't it stress her more moving into another environment?

Nationality
    [Canada]

At this point, I'd be mostly concerned with those blisters on its head... I am thinking stress and possible infection have to be remedied.
    Moving an animal around temporarily stresses em but 5min later, if their new habitat is proper, their stress level will go down.
    Not sure what you mean by prophylaxis... prophylaxis is prevention technique against infection, diseases.. not an actual med :P Read the label more in depth and tell us what's in there maybe we can help.
    Get two proper sized shoeboxes. They will be your quarantine tanks. Clean both of em with bleach solution (use a cap of bleach for a jug of water). Get some fake plastic plants (with big leaves) and clean em too. Rinse then let everything dry for 24hr. After this, put a double layer of white paper towel at the bottom of the shoebox and pour just a bit of treated or more preferably RO water just enough to damp the whole paper, you don't want accumulated water in there. Put the plant in there, sideway if needed then put the frog in there. Put the shoebox somewhere the frog will not be disturbed. Next day put a cricket or two.. make sure the frog eats em. Every two days, you swap the frog into the other box and clean that other one and let it dry. Your goal here is the have a bacteria free environment for the frog, to prevent infection and spreading. Then you want to lower the frog stress. If successful, frog will regain health. If after 4-5-6 days eyes don't get better, I'd go see a vet, you will need some ointment. If not treated, usually frogs will die from eye infection but this doesn't seem like infection to me. Just stress but hey, I'm no pro

Voodoo15uk

Sorry it's called propolis and is brilliant on open wounds, ulcers or even scuffs, it has antibiotic and antibacterial in it. It lets the skin breathe too and has some herbal extracts in it to reduce inflammation. Not got pack with me at present to check. This is it....
    Propolis - NT Labs

I'm wondering if any of the other medications would be suitable as they are safe for all amphibians.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Oy... I typed up a huge response to this yesterday on my phone and apparently it never posted.

Along the lines of what everyone else has said, you need to get him to a vet. The white dots are normal, but the other scrapes and wounds are not. I'd think along the lines of some type of fungal or bacterial infections at this point. On the open wounds, you can dab neosporin (or something similar in the UK) WITHOUT pain reliever, until you can get to a vet. That will not help the eyes though. Crickets should not be so fatty to cause fat deposits in the eyes, so my guess would be on infection.

I do not think shoe box size containers will help de-stress a red eyed tree frog. I use 10 gallon tanks with all 4 sides covered with paper as a hospital/QT tank. Low cost and very easy to disinfect. I hang a couple of silk plants from the screen top and cover the screen 3/4 with plastic wrap to keep humidity. Moving red eyes around is very very stressful on them, they aren't a 5 min later well adjusted frog. It's not uncommon for them to go several days without eating or waking up when moved.
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

12. This member thanks LilyPad for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Red eye tree frog with cloudy eyes

Yes, I agree with Amy. The frog is stressed for some reason. It almost appears as an erosion of some sort to the top of his head. Both the head and eyes appear infected to me and will need treatment. He will need vet prescribed antibiotics and eye drops.

Do move home to a hospital tank with just paper towels for flooring (change daily). Mist two times a day with dechlorinated or distilled water. Rinse his water bowl daily in very hot water. Allow to cool and refill with fresh dechlorinated water.

Provide him with a safe, smooth plant to hide in.

Apply neosporin or bacitracin daily to the head wound with a fresh qtip each day while waiting for your vet appt. This will likely not be enough to get him/her well.

Use a feeding bowl for crickets so they don't bite the frog.

You really need a vet at this time. Do any of the other frogs have the same issues?

You might need to adjust their permanent home. We can help if you'd like? Please let us know.

You might also need to decontaminate their home.

I do not think the eyes are fatty deposits. Most often you'll see fatty deposits in herps with fatty meals such as waxworms or over feeding. It would be likely the frog would be overweight in such a case, unless there is more going on, such as parasites.

My first guess would be bacterial or fungal infections.
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

14. This member thanks Heatheranne for this post:

Nationality
    [Canada]

My shoebox container are as big as a 10gal. They're also 3$ each and comes with a tight lid. You really want two because like I am saying, you want to have a spare one when moving the frog because where are you gonna put the frog while you clean your 10 gal? You can very well get 2x 10gal but now we're talking 25$ if not more with the lids... plus they're no where near as easy to clean as a light plastic container!

I think not moving a frog because of stress being the reason in this case isn't a good idea. Obviously any manipulation you do to an animal will stress it, change of environment do that too but I firmly believe most of the stress comes from the initial manipulation which is why I like to have spare Q box. I never manipulate my animals other than that and I also try to minimize my movement when in front of more stress sensitive animals vivarium.

If done properly, afterward stress of being moved can be totally ignored because treatment and sterile environment prioritize over prior issue.

I've saved frogs with similar blisters before with Q box and neosporin without pain killer successfully but if you can afford vet and really want to give best care for that animal then you should, RETF are very sensitive animals.
    I'd try my shot myself but if it doesn't get better within 2 days I'd be real worried for the animals life.

Thread Information