Thread: Bullfrog slowing down for the Winter?

100+ Post Member Gnag the nameless's Avatar
    Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Bullfrog slowing down for the Winter?

In the past few months, my larger, nearly five inch snout to vent male American Bullfrog (Rana Catesbeiana) Gnag has begun to eat less and less. I've already done various thorough checks for any signs of illness, and found absolutely none other than the lessened eating. He is also less active, but will occasionally hop and swim around a bit one night, then remain near motionless for the next few nights. He does not appear to be losing any weight, and he is quite the plump (and muscled) frog.

Now, he is hardly eating every few days. I've gone ahead and done some research, and apparently it is natural for adult American Bullfrogs to slow down and/or hibernate during the winter.

However, Gnag's tank is 90% aquatic - the only landmass is on top of a piece of driftwood that makes up his shelter and atop a small clump of moss for him to sit on in the corner of his tank. He's seemed to become less and less active, and I'm wondering whether I should:

1. Just leave him be, offering crickets daily and keeping an eye on him.

2. Or put him in a large plastic box with a deep layer of mud on the bottom and let him burrow down to hibernate.

I've read that you don't necessarily have to hibernate American Bullfrogs as long as you keep the room they're in relatively warm. Having absolutely no experience with hibernating animals, I'd rather avoid having to do it. The room Gnag's tank is in gets to 16 Celsius at the least, and 23 Celsius at the most (room temperature most of the time). Also, I could purchase a few Hornworms and set them aside for whenever he gets hungry, so when he does eat he gets the optimum meal.

Any suggestions as for what I should do? And has anyone else experienced this before?
    Last edited by Gnag the nameless; October 7th, 2013 at 11:03 PM. Reason: Minor Edit
    My Amphibians:
    1.0.0 Rana Catesbiana (Bumpy Digtoad )
    1.0.0 Pseudacris Regilla (Levi )
    1.1.0 Ambystoma Macrodactylum (Urtham and Gargan )
    2.2.0 Bombina Orientalis ( Rosa, Sasha, Aleksis, and Dimitri )

Rest in Peace, Gnag the Nameless, Chrome, and Thermidor

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Bullfrog slowing down for the Winter?

Hi Caspian! My take on brumation (hibernation, etc.) in captivity is to discourage it unless done by an experienced keeper in order to trigger breeding. I've read many threads in forum where a frog died during a failed brumation. Myself would just let the frog be and just observe it does not loose lots of weight. When frog shows some activity in Spring; then offer food and see if it will eat.

Another option would be to use an underwater heater to slowly raise and stabilize the water temp a couple degrees creating a permanent Spring-Summer in tank. If doing so, install heater so frog can't contact it and get burned. My favorite one is the Eheim Jagger unit. If interested in this option, let us know and will calculate actual water volume and heater size required. Just be aware that all organisms have so much "life" to live and turning up it's metabolism will have an effect on it's longevity. Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

100+ Post Member Gnag the nameless's Avatar
    Nationality
    [Canada]

Thanks for the reply, Carlos !

I'm the same as you on the topic of Hibernation/Brumation/etc, I've seen many people lose their frogs to it, and I don't want to lose my Gnag. Even though he's a plump, young, and fit frog, I want to avoid Hibernation as much as I can since, like I said, I have no real knowledge of it.

I'll probably just do as you suggested, and keep my room room temperature, if a bit colder at times. I'll also try your method - however, I cannot place anything underneath the tank as it is firmly rooted to the spot due to simply how heavy (and large) it is.

How will turning up his metabolism affect his lifespan? And, keep in mind this is a wild caught frog we're referring to, one who was taken into captivity as a small, probably 1 and 1/2 inch (S-V) froglet before his first winter (this will be his second winter with me, though he's more than doubled in size since the last winter).

Once again, thanks for the reply. My other American Bullfrog does not appear to be going through the same process, him being younger than Gnag, so I'm just keeping an eye on him for now. The Chorus frogs don't appear to be affected - the only one of my 'phibs who is exhibiting his behaviour is Gnag, who is most likely the oldest of them all, too.

I'm curious: has anyone had this experience with an American Bullfrog before? If so, please comment in, I'd like to compile as much info as I can so I know what I'm facing.
    My Amphibians:
    1.0.0 Rana Catesbiana (Bumpy Digtoad )
    1.0.0 Pseudacris Regilla (Levi )
    1.1.0 Ambystoma Macrodactylum (Urtham and Gargan )
    2.2.0 Bombina Orientalis ( Rosa, Sasha, Aleksis, and Dimitri )

Rest in Peace, Gnag the Nameless, Chrome, and Thermidor

Nationality
    [United States]

An underwater heater does not go below the tank, it goes in the water, so there is no need to lift or move tank. You just have to ensure the frog can't get to the hot part of heater that is submerged.

In cold blooded animals their metabolism is controlled by ambient temperature. Every animal has a temperature range (some wide, some narrow) where it will survive; but within that range, its metabolism will vary. Keeping and animal at a high metabolic range for a long time is like burning a fuel lamp very bright... it just runs out of fuel faster. Bullfrogs have lived 16 years in captivity so think that is not a huge concern. Just mentioned it so you knew about it before making a decision. Again, as stated in my previous post, if Gnag wants to slow down it's metabolism during Winter, let the frog be .
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

lisaf

Hi Caspian,
    You were so helpful to me about year ago with my American bullfroglet. My frog is now about a year as a frog (she'd been a tadpole that we raised).Anyways,she is acting very lethargic too and barely eating. I share your concerns but have felt it must be due to Winter, since she appears to be otherwise healthy Does your frog have a slimy viscous film on his lower body? Mine does and I'm not sure what that is about.

-how long have you had this bullfrog? in particular, is this the first winter you've had it? (i'd get more worried if it's not the first winter and it hasn't done this before)
    -are you living in an area where frogs normally overwinter and is this where this frog is from?
    -is the ambient temp lower now than it normally is?

-my frogs have generally been active during the winter, albeit less. the frogs we use in the lab also tend to still be active in the winter (eat, hop, etc)...until of course they are sacrificed!

Quote Originally Posted by lisaf View Post
    Hi Caspian,
    You were so helpful to me about year ago with my American bullfroglet. My frog is now about a year as a frog (she'd been a tadpole that we raised).Anyways,she is acting very lethargic too and barely eating. I share your concerns but have felt it must be due to Winter, since she appears to be otherwise healthy Does your frog have a slimy viscous film on his lower body? Mine does and I'm not sure what that is about.

lisaf

Quote Originally Posted by herpdoc View Post
    -how long have you had this bullfrog? in particular, is this the first winter you've had it? (i'd get more worried if it's not the first winter and it hasn't done this before)
    -are you living in an area where frogs normally overwinter and is this where this frog is from?
    -is the ambient temp lower now than it normally is?

-my frogs have generally been active during the winter, albeit less. the frogs we use in the lab also tend to still be active in the winter (eat, hop, etc)...until of course they are sacrificed!

Ive had the frog since she was a tadpole about 2 years ago. She became a frog in May 2013. I don't remember her behaving this way last winter. I live in Southern California and the weather is quite temperate. It hasn't been very cold yet this season.

The difference between last winter and this winter is that before she was small enough to hide mostly submerged under rocks. Now, she is large enough that she can't fit under the rocks. We have her in a 90 gallon aquarium that is maybe 60% water and 40% rocks. She shares the tank with 6 small goldfish that were supposed to be feeder fish but she's left them alone. She used to eagerly eat crickets when she was more surrounded by water. Now the crickets hide in the rocks since she is slow to try to catch them. I haven't seen her actually eat a cricket or a meal worm for a long time. Do you need to know anything else?

Hasn't gotten cold in so Cal yet, have you tryed nightcrawlers? Also have you tried tong feeding?

0.0.1 PCf
    Soon to come 0.0.4 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.1.0 Pseudacris regilla (r.i.p. Green Beauty)
    0.0.1 Bufo boreas boreas? (r.i.p. )
    0.0.4 Dendrobates tinctorius 'Powder Blue'

Nationality
    [United States]

Caspian, I'm 100% with Carlos on this one. Slowly warm up the water(I keep my bullfrog between 68°-72° during the winter months. Here in Oregon its fairly mild in the winter and my frog room stays pretty cool. My PCF's have slowed down a bit, but they're not heated. I'm sure that my bullfrog would also be gearing down if her tank was cooler.

Thread Information