Thread: How to dust fruti flys

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Pitbulldoxie

Default How to dust fruti flys

Help. I can dust crickets that's easy. Now how in the world to I dust the fruit flies there fast and make a run for freedom every chance they get. My flies are in deli type containers adn cnat be dusted in those since it would mess up the culture. I tried shaking them into a plastic freezer bag worked ok but was hard to not loose a bunch. any suggestions??
    Last edited by Pitbulldoxie; July 2nd, 2010 at 01:09 PM. Reason: speeling error

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: How to dust fruti flys

I use those 32 fluid ounce (almost 1 liter) containers sold in the US for fruit fly culturing. I take an empty one and put some vitamin or whatever powder in the bottom, then I take a fruit fly culture, tilt over about 120 degrees and open the lid a little while over the mouth of the empty container, then I tap the culture vigorously to get flies to fall into the empty container with the powder. As I do this, occasionally I tap the "empty" to stop the flies crawling out. Once I have enough flies I reseal the culture while it's still over the "empty" and then I put the culture back on the shelf. I then swirl the flies in the "empty" with the powder until they get a nice dusting, then tape the "empty" a little to get flies into each terrarium. I rarely lose a fly during this whole process. It does take a bit of practice if you've never done it before.

One tip is that flies move faster the warmer it is, so it may be easier for you if you cool down the culture a few degrees before getting the flies out.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Kurt

I also find that when there is dust on the inside of the receiving container, the flies have a tough time trying to climb up it.

Pitbulldoxie

Will have to try that. Currently being its summer and CA its toasty here and the flies have gone nuts I have way to many at the moment. Any one intrested in fruit flies and in the Vallejo CA east bay area willing to pick up with own container Im happy to shre

kellie

Quote Originally Posted by Pitbulldoxie View Post
    Will have to try that. Currently being its summer and CA its toasty here and the flies have gone nuts I have way to many at the moment. Any one intrested in fruit flies and in the Vallejo CA east bay area willing to pick up with own container Im happy to shre
    whenever i'm ready to feed, i put the culture in the freezer for about 5 seconds and that seems to cal them down enough to do anything with them. i got this advice from a frog care website or a feeder insect site . i don't remember.. good luck!

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by kellie View Post
    whenever i'm ready to feed, i put the culture in the freezer for about 5 seconds and that seems to cal them down enough to do anything with them. i got this advice from a frog care website or a feeder insect site . i don't remember.. good luck!
    It certainly can help.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Thread Information