Thread: New To Frogs & Forum--Hi There!

corralup

Default New To Frogs & Forum--Hi There!

Hi, from Texas My name is Sandy. I would like to say hello to everyone here! I found this forum searching how to care for tree frogs. I like watching my two White's catch their meals.
    I have a 18 inch tall Zoo Meds Terririum that I supplied with a big cave, deep water dish (bottled water only), Stick, Bamboo plant, bark, spray mister, night light for warmth on outside glass, pothos ivy.
    Like I mentioned I have two White's Dumpy Tree Frogs that are really cool. One eats pretty much on his own the other one being that I purchased him from a different store needs to be babied a little on feeding. I think he got a little stressed changing homes.
    He's up to four crickets a day now. It was only two.
    Again I just wanted to say hi and looking forward to making new friends. Happy 4th!
    Attached Images Attached Images       

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: New To Frogs & Forum--Hi There!

Welcome to the forum, Sandy

My interests are toads and clawed frogs.
    Terry Gampper
    Nebraska Herpetological Society

“If we can discover the meaning in the trilling of a frog, perhaps we may understand why it is for us not merely noise but a song of poetry and emotion.”
    ---
    Adrian Forsyth

Hi there! Welcome.

White's are the best, and it sounds like you have a pretty great setup for them.

Nationality
    [Ireland]

Welcome to the forum Sandy .
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Kurt

Welcome aboard.

lnaminneci

Welcome to the Forum
    Hello Sandy! Your White's are soo cute, love the pictures. How long have you had them and what are their names?
    You have come to a great place to find information, learn more about frogs, and meet other's that love frogs too.
    Everyone here is very friendly and helpful. Welcome!

~Lesley~

corralup

Quote Originally Posted by lnaminneci View Post
    Welcome to the Forum
    Hello Sandy! Your White's are soo cute, love the pictures. How long have you had them and what are their names?
    You have come to a great place to find information, learn more about frogs, and meet other's that love frogs too.
    Everyone here is very friendly and helpful. Welcome!

~Lesley~
    Thanks everyone for the warm welcome...
    I've only had them for a few days! They seem real happy in their new surroundings.
    I didn't want the 1st one to get lonely so I bought another one the next day lol.
    They get along real nice so I was glad for that.
    I've gone through 3 dozen crickets this week. Yeah, I'm a spoiler.
    I lost a few crickets due to who knows. I think maybe they drowned with too much moisture in the tank but most of them got ate. The bigger of the two ate a baby anole lizard this morning. It was a surprise to me being that it's been in the tank for two days.
    I grabbed it for the third time this morning and wiggled it in front of the bigger of the two. I was about to turn away and give up on the moment then all of a sudden a big slurp came about.
    Funny thing is I was about to turn the lizard back out into the yard but it turned out to be a nice meal.
    Right now I'm feeding my last two crickets to the thinner frog.
    I gotta get more tomorrow.
    Now I have some skinks in my yard can anyone tell me if that is good to feed my frogs?
    They are small enough I believe and just wanted your comments...Any free feeder suggestions. How 'bout june bugs? And what about geckos? Can they poison my frogs?
    I may look for earthworms tomorrow morning and try that.

Appreciate your help and my yard is free of pesticides of course.

Oh, yeah the names are Mr. Chubby and Digger. I'm sure you can tell who Mr. Chubby is LOL.

Smile Re: New To Frogs & Forum--Hi There!

Hmm, hello and welcome!
    Hmm, try to feed only every other day or every 2 days. You don't want an obese frog(well fatter than they are supposed to be). Try putting black background on both side(left, right) and the back. It relieves stress on the frogs. The more climbing area you give them the better, these frogs love to climb. They will love to hide in a tall area. ;]

Your frogs look very healthy and adorable. Best of luck
    -Kevin

Nationality
    [New Zealand]

Hi there Sandy, welcome to the forum.
    I love your photo's. Your frogs look very healthy and they should be very happy with their new home. You have done a great job.

Kurt

I would avoid feeding lizards to your frogs, you run a very high risk of introducing parasites to your frogs doing this. Also, you have thrown lizards in with them and they don't eat them, the lizards should not be re-released back into the wild. They could introduce pathogens to the wild that they picked up from your frogs and that could be disasterous upon native fauna.

corralup

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
    I would avoid feeding lizards to your frogs, you run a very high risk of introducing parasites to your frogs doing this. Also, you have thrown lizards in with them and they don't eat them, the lizards should not be re-released back into the wild. They could introduce pathogens to the wild that they picked up from your frogs and that could be disasterous upon native fauna.
    Wow! Now that is something to think about. Thanks for the heads up.
    I sure do appreciate all the comments and suggestions here. This is a great forum with good info.

Pathogen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Kurt

You're welcome.

Thread Information