Thread: Updated pics of Ralph

Billy

Default Updated pics of Ralph

Last night I adopted Ralph, Kayla's male Pyxie. He has grown alot since his pics were posted here, so I figured I'd show you guys what he looks like now. He's big,and is very sweet tempered(except when he sees food). He also sings along with the radio, and I think he tries to overpower the bass level.

Top view(plate is 9" diameter)

Mug shot

Not many frogs will be very cooperative when it comes to pictures, he was willing to sit and have his picture taken though. He's such a big eater, and boy does he love his worms!
    I'm so thankful to Kayla and her hubbie Jon, for letting me have him. He's gonna be in my life for quite a while!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Kerry1968

Default Re: Updated pics of Ralph

He looks like he's ready to be someone's dinner sat on the plate! I'm still not sure about this species of frog, they are just so................BIG!! Quite, quite different to my little reed frogs!
    Lovely photos nevertheless!

Kurt

What kinds of reed frogs do you have?

Billy

Thanks, Kerry. It's amazing how big these guys get, and I personally can't wait for him to totally fill-up one of these plates in size. I wanted to see if he'd take some Tilapia, and he ended up eating a whole fillet that was cut-up into strips.
    Reed frogs are pretty cool, and as you said, small compared to Ralph. I'm also interested to know what kind you have. Can you post some pics?

Kerry1968

They're sometimes called African walking frogs, (kassina senegalensis) but are in the reed frog family (or hyperoliidae). Hope I didn't get you all excited under false pretenses, that was what I was told they were, in the reed frog family I mean.

Here's a link about them, I haven't actually had it officially confirmed that's what mine are, but trawling the net this is the closest resemblance I could come up with. The guy in the pet shop just said the were African running frogs. I thought they were kassina macualta at first, but mine lack the red striped legs.

African Treefrogs: Hyperoliidae - Bubbling Kassina (kassina Senegalensis): Species Accounts

Kurt

Awe man! I thought you had gotten new frogs. Even though Kassina are in the reed frog family, Hyperoliidae we don't consider them to be read frogs. There are three basic frog types in the family, the Kassina, the reed frogs, and big-eyed treefrogs and kin.
    Also when writing taxonomic names the genus and genus only is capitalized and the whole name is in italics. Example - Kassina senegalensis. Also the family and subfamily should be capitalized as well.

daydreaming

looks like your going to have him for dinner, you put him on a plate in front of a microwave!!!

Kerry1968

Excuse my ignorance Kurt. I don't even know which are the taxonomic names, the genus, which is the family or sub family, I just do my best to give all the information I have. I'll try to get it all the right way next time.
    Last edited by Kerry1968; June 19th, 2009 at 10:42 AM. Reason: sp

Kurt

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry1968 View Post
    Excuse my ignorance Kurt. I don't even know which are the taxonomic names, the genus, which is the family or sub family, I just do my best to give all the information I have. I'll try to get it all the right way next time.
    Don't worry about it to much. I will explain it for you. Ok, if we take the name Kassina maculata, for example, Kassina is the genus and maculata is the species. Other frogs will belong to the genus Kassina, one other that comes to mind is Kassina senegalensis. Same genus, different species.
    A taxonomic name includes a genus, species, and sometimes a subspecies. The taxonomic name is often called the scientific or Latin name.
    We discussed genus and species, now let's talk subspecies. Sometimes you will come across a Latin or taxonomic name that has a third part, that would be the subspecies. When we break down a species into races, we call these races subspecies. An example would be Anaxyrus debilis, the American green toad, which is has two subspecies. They are Anaxyrus debilis debilis, the eastern green toad and Anaxyrus debilis insidior, the western green toad. Now not all species have subspecies.
    When the species is unknown, but we know the genus, we write it down as sp. Example - Leptopelis sp. If genus and species are known but we are unsure of subspecies, it would be written like this Anaxyrus debilis ssp.
    Does this make sense?

Kerry1968

It makes sense Kurt, but I think it'll take me years to get my head round it! In the mean time, bear with me!

Kurt

No problemo!

Thread Information