Thread: New and need help with my pacman frog

Xaven

Default New and need help with my pacman frog

hello everyone, I have had my pacman frog for 6 years now and the past few weeks I've noticed a few things, she will not eat anything and the mouse I feed her many weeks ago is still in her stomach as I can feel it. Also her front left leg is swelled up and she seems to have small cuts on her stomach, what is wrong?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: New and need help with my pacman frog

First off, we'll need more information. Post the answers to these questions
    http://www.frogforum.net/pacman-frog...enclosure.html

Has the frog pooed at all since you fed the mouse? If so, then the mouse is not still sitting in the stomach undigested. What kind of mouse are you feeding? You should never feed pacs anything larger than a pinky.
    If the frog has not pooed, you're looking at an impaction. A bath in luke-warm water with 6-8 drops of honey mixed in and GENTLY massaging the lump can help with this. You can do it daily until the frog poos.

The swollen leg and red on the stomach could be anything. You need to post pictures and the answers to the Trouble in the Enclosure questions so we can help you with that.
    3.0 Thamnophis sirtalis sirtalis
    1.1 Thamnophis cyrtopsis ocellatus
    0.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    1.0 Litoria caerulea
    0.1 Terrapene carolina
    0.1 Python regius
    0.1 Grammostola rosea
    0.0.1 Brachypelma smithi
    0.1 Hogna carolinensis

Xaven

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  48.4 KBThanks for the help,
    Shes in a 10 gal
    Only her in there
    Temp is 70
    humidy is 60
    i use distilled water
    Live plants and coco fiber is used as substrate
    i have a heater
    Main food source is night crawlers
    she receives calcium every 2 weeksshehas not eaten in 4 weeks
    i have not found any poo
    I brought her at a petco
    The tanks on my dresser
    im not really holding her straight up either in the photo it's just that way from the angle of the camera

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Did you mean 6 months, because I would expect issues to come up much sooner than 6 years in those conditions.

Temp needs to come up to the 80* range, but do so over the course of a week.
    Humidity should also be near 80%. Get digital gauges.
    Use spring water or treated tap water, the distilled will leach nutrients from your frog.
    The point sticking out on her right side concerns me greatly, could be a bone sticking through which could easily perforate the intestine.
    The not eating for that long after a large mouse at that low of temp isn't surprising.
    Again, bring up the temps and hope for the best. If it isn't acting like it's in pain you may be in the clear. If the frog is in pain or acting very sick/lethargic, get it to a vet immediately.

Nationality
    [United States]

Okay, two big problems I'm seeing here.

1.) Temp is way too low. Daytime temps should be 80-82 and night temps should be 75-80. Too long at low temps can cause kidney and lymph failure, which is probably what you're looking at with the swollen leg. Humidity also needs to be brought up to 80%.

2.) Distilled water is a big no. If you used it to expand the substrate you need to replace it. Water treated with water conditioner like Seachem Prime or Spring water is okay.

You need to fix both of these issues ASAP. Hopefully it isn't too late and your frog can recover.
    1.0 Litoria caerulea
    0.1 Terrapene carolina
    0.1 Python regius
    0.1 Grammostola rosea
    0.0.1 Brachypelma smithi
    0.1 Hogna carolinensis

Xaven

Ive had her for 6 years she doesn't seem to be in pain but the bump in her arm is not going away I'll up the temps and change the water. I Was never told to feed her only pinkies all the people who knew about them said up to a mouse which I fed her

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

The occasional large mouse isn't the problem, it's the large food at low temperature. Their bodies don't thermoregulate, so their metabolism is based completely on ambient temperature. If it isn't warm enough, they may not digest the food fast enough and it can rot in their stomach, or pass partly undigested into their intestines, where pieces of bone or anything sharp could cause tears.

The swelling around the leg does look like a possible edema, caused by the kidneys not flushing out water at the correct rate. Most often it is caused by kidney failure due to long term exposure to low temps. Sometimes correctable, but it will all be based on the frog and extent of damage. Bring the temps up to the levels outlined in the care sheet sticky at the top of the forum to stop or slow the disease.

Nationality
    [United States]

Sounds like you got some pretty bad info. Don't beat yourself up over it, it happens all the time. For now, just go ahead and try the honey bath and try to get her to pass the impaction.

What are you feeding most of the time? Just mice?
    If so you may also be looking at liver issues (mice are way too fatty; even pinkies should only be fed once a month). IMO the best staple diet item is nightcrawlers like you can buy at WalMart. The frog may need to be encouraged to eat them at first, but they're very healthy. Gut-loaded dubia roaches and crickets are also good staples.
    1.0 Litoria caerulea
    0.1 Terrapene carolina
    0.1 Python regius
    0.1 Grammostola rosea
    0.0.1 Brachypelma smithi
    0.1 Hogna carolinensis

Xaven

Quote Originally Posted by Thevacantface View Post
    The occasional large mouse isn't the problem, it's the large food at low temperature. Their bodies don't thermoregulate, so their metabolism is based completely on ambient temperature. If it isn't warm enough, they may not digest the food fast enough and it can rot in their stomach, or pass partly undigested into their intestines, where pieces of bone or anything sharp could cause tears.

The swelling around the leg does look like a possible edema, caused by the kidneys not flushing out water at the correct rate. Most often it is caused by kidney failure due to long term exposure to low temps. Sometimes correctable, but it will all be based on the frog and extent of damage. Bring the temps up to the levels outlined in the care sheet sticky at the top of the forum to stop or slow the disease.
    I already raised the temps but am worried about it rotting in her is there anything I can do to correct this other than raising the temp?

Xaven

Quote Originally Posted by DVirginiana View Post
    Sounds like you got some pretty bad info. Don't beat yourself up over it, it happens all the time. For now, just go ahead and try the honey bath and try to get her to pass the impaction.

What are you feeding most of the time? Just mice?
    If so you may also be looking at liver issues (mice are way too fatty; even pinkies should only be fed once a month). IMO the best staple diet item is nightcrawlers like you can buy at WalMart. The frog may need to be encouraged to eat them at first, but they're very healthy. Gut-loaded dubia roaches and crickets are also good staples.
    She's in the honey bath now and I'll change her diet once she gets better thanks for the help I'll update her progress later

Nationality
    [United States]

Like I said, do the honey bath. It will probably reduce the swelling, and will help her to poo.

Edit: NVM
    1.0 Litoria caerulea
    0.1 Terrapene carolina
    0.1 Python regius
    0.1 Grammostola rosea
    0.0.1 Brachypelma smithi
    0.1 Hogna carolinensis

Xaven

Quote Originally Posted by DVirginiana View Post
    Like I said, do the honey bath. It will probably reduce the swelling, and will help her to poo.

Edit: NVM
    swelling seems to be reduced I'm serious the honey bath really helped, thanks!

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Honey bath as dvirginiana should help it pass quicker, the only other thing to do is up the temp. But do it only a couple degrees per day, a sudden large shift can exacerbate the likely kidney problems.

Xaven

I'll post a update to row on her thanks again

Xaven

She's doing better and the swelling went down but the skin is stretched out, also she still has not pooped yet

Thread Information