Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Worried Mom. Bump on Red Eye!

Lithrua

Default Worried Mom. Bump on Red Eye!

Hello everyone. I'm sad to say my first post here is one of concern for me. I decided to join after most of my research over the past month or so kept bringing me back here. I love that there's such a community of genuine frog lovers. Any way, I've been preparing for a new frog for a while and Christmas I was over joyed to find out my family got me my first RETF. After making sure my new viv was suited to his proper needs, I was able to bring him home last week. I immediately fell in love with his/hers little face (not sure on gender yet). Upon getting him home I noticed a bump under his chin, about where I believe his coller bone is. At first I didn't think much of it because it's not discolored in any way. I thought maybe he had hurt himself before and it was healed/healing. However I soon started freaking out about it. I contacted a herp vet to make an appointment but can't get in for a while. I also decided to touch it and it's not hard, more cyst like. But besides this he seems perfectly healthy, eating, pretty active and alert when up, skin is clear. I'm hoping someone has an idea or experience with something like this. Thank you.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Worried Mom. Bump on Red Eye!

First, Welcome to the forum! I don't know what could be the cause of the bump, but I think getting him into a herp vet asap is wise.

Also (havent seen pics of his tank), but he has a lot of substrate on him. If you got some leaf liter from a petstore or online frog hobby store and covered the substrate with the leafs it would help keep him way cleaner.
    1.1.0 - Oophaga Pumilio 'Blue Jeans' (2014 Nicaragua Import)
    1.1.0 - Oophaga Pumilio 'Chirique Grande' F1
    1.1.0 - D. Tinctorius 'Citronella'
    1.2.0 - D. Tinctorius 'Azureus'
    0.0.2 - D. Tinctorius 'Sipaliwini'
    0.0.2 - D. Tinctorius 'New River'
    0.0.4 - D. Tinctorius 'Leucomelas'
    0.0.4 - Terribilis 'Mint'
    1.1.0 - R. Ventrimaculatus 'French Guiana'

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/hashtagfrogs
    Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgC...sEZiZQoT8sOuuw

Nationality
    [United States]

Also if you will copy and paste below the line into a reply and answer everything you can it will help others who come along to provide you with good information based off of your answers.

QUESTIONS

1----what 'kind' of frog is it ( what species)
    2----please include a photo of the frog
    3----Please include a photo of the frog's current enclosure
    4----size of enclosure ( W" x D" x H" )
    5----# on inhabitants - ( if there is another frog --- is there a size difference ? )
    6----has or was the frog kept with a different species or with any other tank mate
    7----is there a new tank mate----was the new tank mate quarantined
    8----what is the typical humidity level
    9----what temperature is maintained
    10---what is, specifically, being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure
    11---describe the enclosure lighting ( very specifically)
    12---describe enclosure maintenance ( water changes, cleaning etc)
    13---what kind of water is used
    -----for misting
    -----for the frog's soaking dish
    -----is de-chlorinator used / what brand
    14---material(s) used for substrate - be very specific
    15---enclosure set up:
    -----if recent - describe how the enclosure was cleaned
    -----plants( live or artificial) if artificial plants are used are they plastic or fabric
    -----describe wood, bark , and background materials
    16---when is the last time the frog ate
    17---have you found poop lately
    18---how often is the frog fed
    19---what size feeder is given
    20---what other feeders are used as treats
    21---what is the frog's main food source
    22---do feeders roam free in the enclosure or is the frog bowl fed
    23---vitamins - what brand and how often
    24---calcium - what brand and how often
    25---was the frog without calcium for any period of time
    26---approximate age of the frog
    27---how long have you owned the frog
    28---who cared for the frog before you
    29---is the frog wild caught or captive bred
    30---how often the frog is handled -- are gloves used ( what kind of gloves)
    31---is the enclosure kept in a high or low traffic area
    30---has or was the frog properly quarantined (yes or no)
    -----for how long
    32---has the frog been treated with any medication:
    -----for what
    -----name of medication
    -----for how long
    -----what dose
    -----was medication prescribed by a herp vet
    1.1.0 - Oophaga Pumilio 'Blue Jeans' (2014 Nicaragua Import)
    1.1.0 - Oophaga Pumilio 'Chirique Grande' F1
    1.1.0 - D. Tinctorius 'Citronella'
    1.2.0 - D. Tinctorius 'Azureus'
    0.0.2 - D. Tinctorius 'Sipaliwini'
    0.0.2 - D. Tinctorius 'New River'
    0.0.4 - D. Tinctorius 'Leucomelas'
    0.0.4 - Terribilis 'Mint'
    1.1.0 - R. Ventrimaculatus 'French Guiana'

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/hashtagfrogs
    Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgC...sEZiZQoT8sOuuw

Lithrua

1----what'kind' of frog is it ( what species)
    Agalychniscallidryas – Red Eyed Treefrog

2----pleaseinclude a photo of the frog

3----Pleaseinclude a photo of the frog's current enclosure

4----sizeof enclosure ( W" x D" x H" )
    18”x18”X24”

5----#on inhabitants - ( if there is another frog --- is there a sizedifference ? )
    Noother frogs besides this little one.

6----hasor was the frog kept with a different species or with any other tankmate
    No,even at the pet store he was the only frog in his tank.

7----isthere a new tank mate----was the new tank mate quarantined
    Notbesides the frog in question. They were quarantined.

8----whatis the typical humidity level
    70-80

9----whattemperature is maintained
    75on average. High 70's in the day. Low at night.

10---whatis, specifically, being used to maintain the temperature of theenclosure
    Thehouse is kept at these temp.s, I did get a 50watt Night lamp that Iwas using during the set up period but it was too hot (and no thethermometer is not under the light). Do use it on exceedingly colddays while at work incase of drafts (old new england house).

11---describethe enclosure lighting ( very specifically)
    Azoomed small double dome, chromed interior for maximizing lightoutput. A UVB100 13watt bulb, for plants and day schedule. And againthe 50watt night light, which seems to have more use in the day(since heat goes off more consistently at night thus keeping tempsoptimum for the night cycle). Also a exo terra light stand thatadheres to the back. I reinforced it with E6000 glue to ensure itwouldn't fail.

12---describeenclosure maintenance ( water changes, cleaning etc)
    Waterbowl is cleaned and changed at least every two days, every day beingstandard. Feeding bowl wiped down daily before feedings (so waterfrom mister doesn't accumulate).
    Icheck for poop and debris in the morning and at night, cleaned/pickedup with paper towel with treated water.
    Waterin drainage layer is siphoned as needed, doesn't accumulate quickly.I'm working on getting a pump in place for the bottom but as of nowam using a notched pvc piece with fitting cover and turkey baster,which is actually working wonderfully. For this I put many notchesaround the bottom, hand picked the largest pebbles (drainage layer)to go around it so smaller ones wouldn't block the notches, puttingsome smaller ones on top (incase of any debris to be caught), thentwo layers of substrate mesh/screen around all of it, holding thestrips down with some pebbles, before adding the substrate over it.Am thinking about keeping it this way since I don't have a half waterhalf land enclosure, or major water feature at this time, unless thepvc method isn't a good longish term one? Input on that would benice. I've seen it used many times but I'm curious what other peoplethink. Again I just implemented it for short term use but the misterisn't causing anywhere near as much water build up as I expected.Also I currently keep paper towel over it, changing that every fewdays. Waiting for live moss to arrive to put around it fairly flushand place terrarium moss over lid.
    Alsoby the end of the week I should have springtales to add in, so thatwill also soon be apart of this.

13---whatkind of water is used
    -----formisting
    Distilledor reverse osmosis (distilled in it now)

-----forthe frog's soaking dish
    Treatedtap. Tap water is set in container for a day or too, measured into a“holding” jug, and treated before use.

-----isde-chlorinator used / what brand
    Yes,ZooMed ReptiSafe

14---material(s)used for substrate - be very specific
    Asof now just eco earth, I'm getting Neherp's original substrate andlive oak and/or sea grape leaf litter to add.

15---enclosureset up:
    2.5to 3 inches drainage layer, 2 inches substrate (will be addinganother inch or so soon), siphoned drainage, styrofoam background(came with tank), monsoon misting system, day/night timer,thermometer, hygrometer, live plants, one fake vine (live vines arepickings with roots so not exactly vines yet), and fake water proofbendable branch/vine (forget make).

-----ifrecent - describe how the enclosure was cleaned
    Rinsedwith treated water, doused and scrubbed with hydrogen peroxide andrinsed again (did this process twice). (hydrogen is a safealternative to bleach because it degrades to oxygen and water butwith same benefits)

-----plants(live or artificial) if artificial plants are used are they plastic orfabric
    Liveplants I rinsed and hand scrubbed with water. Then unscented softsoap, water and rinsed. Then doused and hand scrubbed with hydrogenperoxide. Then set to soak in hydrogen peroxide for 45 minutes. Finalrinse in treated water and roots dipped in hydrogen peroxide (fightsroot rot and oxidizes which is said to be good for roots).
    Sameprocess for artificial plant, except for the soap because it's fabricand I didn't want any residue to soak in and not rinse out.

-----describewood, bark , and background materials
    Samecleaning as fake plant.

16---whenis the last time the frog ate
    Atelast night

17---haveyou found poop lately
    Foundpoop yesterday morning.

18---howoften is the frog fed
    Frogis fed about 3-4 crickets every night. First feeding I gave 6 or 7because I didn't know how much or often he was being fed before. Thenext morning there was only one left over so they were a hungrylittle one!

19---whatsize feeder is given
    ¼inch or small.

20---whatother feeders are used as treats
    Asof now, being the first week, no treats. I am looking to gethornworms as treats (trying to locate a near by supplier beforeordering online because of the time of year for live shipping).

21---whatis the frog's main food source
    Crickets.Also thinking about switching crickets for dubia?

22---dofeeders roam free in the enclosure or is the frog bowl fed
    Glassfeeding bowl, about level to substrate.

23---vitamins- what brand and how often
    Inorder with substrates and such. Getting Rep-Cal Herptivite.

24---calcium- what brand and how often
    Rep-CalCalcium with Vit. D3, Ultra-fine powder. Once a week.

25---wasthe frog without calcium for any period of time
    Mostlikely, it didn't seem that crickets in inclosures at the shop weredusted.

26---approximateage of the frog
    Notentirely sure, adult or juvenile soon to be adult.

27---howlong have you owned the frog
    Almosta week.

28---whocared for the frog before you
    Apet shop

29---isthe frog wild caught or captive bred
    Captivebred.

30---howoften the frog is handled -- are gloves used ( what kind of gloves)
    Hardlyat all. Only had to actually handle him by hand once, washed handswith the reptisafe, and dipped hands in treated water. Have gottensome blue non-latex, powder free gloves since.

31---isthe enclosure kept in a high or low traffic area
    Low

30---hasor was the frog properly quarantined (yes or no)
    Yes

-----forhow long
    Nottoo long. About four-five days. Only frog, seems to be completelyhealthy (besides the mystery bump) and the tank at the pet store wasextremely small so I wanted him to be comfy in his spacy environmentas soon as possible.

32---hasthe frog been treated with any medication:
    Notthat I'm aware of.

-----forwhat
    -----nameof medication
    -----forhow long
    -----whatdose
    -----wasmedication prescribed by a herp vet

Lithrua

Paul. Thank you for replying and getting that list of questions! Also leaf litter is a priority on my small list of things yet to get. Can't wait for that to help keep him/her squeaky clean. Unfortunately I haven't been able to go about this process the way I usually have, having limited time to set things up instead of months of planning and research (since the pet store only agreed to hold him for so long for my fam). I prioritized temp, humidity and making sure plants would have adequate time to acclimate and the necessities for his well being. The finishing touches will be on the way soon. (: I'm just really concerned about that bump. Ever experience getting sick and googling what it could be and freaking out? I'm essentially having that for them right now which is exceedingly stressful!!! But i keep reminding myself that they're acting completely healthy and normal and the visit to the vet isn't too far off.

Lithrua

Also just looked at the questions i answered and realized it got weird! Wrote it in word so the page wouldn't time out. Apparently copying and pasting it flunked it up a bit, sorry. :/

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

As far as I can tell things look good. Maybe he got the odd splinter or cut and it formed a cyst. I do recommend getting to the vet when you can.

Nationality
    [United States]

Hello and welcome, Lithrua

It sounds like you've done your research well.

Do you have another photo of the frog showing the bump?

The only care update I would add is to increase his calcium/D3 food dustings to every other feeding. Use the vitamin one day a week, on a different day than the calcium.

Paul makes a great recommendation to adding large leaf litter on top of the Eco earth to keep his feet clean, so he can climb easily .

P.S. Try switching your Eco Earth coconut fiber to ABG mix for happier plants .

Do you have any pics of his vivarium?
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Lithrua

Thank you for the advice! I didn't realize ABG was better! Upping the calcium won't hurt at all? Just checking. Is it possible its mbd???? And I circled the bump on some new pics and the older ones. And one of the set up as it is now. I'll update as the finishing touches are added.

Also while I'm here I might as well ask. I got a bromeliad, and now am reluctant to plant it in the viv, because when I saw it I was ecstatic about it being one from his natural habitat. Then when I got home it hit me it was from Lowes. So I don't know if I'm just going to keep it as a house plant or not. Obviously when I went to clean it ( I saved it for last) I went to town on it, possibly even a bit over kill. It's been sitting in my kitchen for almost three weeks but I'm not sure if I should just replant it in an empty household planter or what.

Thanks again for the input and help!

Lithrua

Here are the pic.s
    Attached Images Attached Images       

Nationality
    [United States]

Hmmm, interesting. I can honestly say I'm not sure what that is. I'm glad it does not look red or discolored.

I think I would schedule that herp vet appt to be safe.

I wish I knew more.

He's still very pretty.

I'd hold off on adding any new plants or decor until the vet sees him just in case it's some type of parasite. I'm hoping that it's not.

Will you keep us updated? I'd be interested in hearing what the bump is.
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Lithrua

Will definitely keep you posted on the bump!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

That is strange. It doesn't look infected or anything, so that's a good sign at least. Good luck at the vet!
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

Nationality
    [United States]

I'm almost wondering if it could just be a birth malformation?

Is it soft or a hard lump/mass?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Heatheranne View Post
    I'm almost wondering if it could just be a birth malformation?

Is it soft or a hard lump/mass?
    I was wondering the same thing, almost looks like a "skin tag" but the rest of the frog looks very healthy.

Nationality
    [United States]

I agree.

Nationality
    [United States]

I agree as well with all the excellent guidance you have gotten here
    This frog looks very health... that's a good sign.

I'm assuming this appeared recently?
    How old is the frog?

By any chance has ?he starting calling recently? ---that you know of ?

It's just below the base of the vocal sac.
    The sacs are located ( sort of behind) the angle of the jaw on each side of the frogs' head.
    The sac opens into an area called the buccal cavity by way of bilateral ( each side) slits.
    To help you get oriented......in-others-word ..... the slits are located on either side of the base of the tongue.

Amy and Heather ? do you think it's possible fluid or air could be trapped in the base of the left vocal sac?

A herp vet can tell. Keep a very close eye on him.

It's been 6 days since your original post .................Please keep us posted as we would really like to know how the frog is doing and if this resolved on its own.

Current Collection
    Dendrobates leucomelas - standard morph
    Dendrobates auratus “Costa Rican Green Black"
    Dendrobates auratus "Pena Blanca"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “New River”
    Dendrobates tinctorius "Green Sipaliwini"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “Powder Blue"
    Dendrobates tinctorius "French Guiana Dwarf Cobalt"

Phyllobates terribilis “Mint”
    Phyllobates terribilis "Orange"
    Phyllobates bicolor "Uraba"

Oophaga pumilio "Black Jeans"
    Oophaga pumilio "Isla Popa"
    Oophaga pumilio "Bastimentos"
    Oophaga pumilio “Mimbitimbi”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Colubre"
    Oophaga pumilio "Red Frog Beach”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Branco"
    Oophaga pumilio “Valle del Rey”
    Oophaga pumilio "BriBri"
    Oophaga pumilio "El Dorado"
    Oophaga pumilio "Cristobal"
    Oophaga pumilio "Rambala"

Oophaga “Vicentei” (blue)

Oophaga sylvatica "Paru"
    Oophaga sylvatica "Pata Blanca"
    Oophaga histrionica “Redhead”
    Oophaga histrionica "Blue"
    Oophaga lehmanni "Red"
    Oophaga histrionica "Tado"

Ranitomeya variabilis "Southern"
    Ranitomeya imitator "Varadero"
    Ranitomeya sirensis "Lower Ucayali"
    Ranitomeya vanzolinii

http://www.fernsfrogs.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ferns.frogs

Nationality
    [United States]

Could be possible. It's quite interesting.

Yes, please do update us.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I think the most telling in this case would be whether the lump is hard or soft and how long it's been there. Trapped air would make sense if it is squishy, or some sort of strange skin growth. If it's hard, it could be some sort of cyst or tumor. Agree that we will really need an update LOL.

Lithrua

The lump is soft to the touch. They're still very active, however, I haven't heard any calling. Not sure on gender though. I'd even say getting more active since they're more acclimated to the new home. Every once in a while I hear a clicking sound but I'm not sure if it's them or not. Also when eating and shedding I take peeks in their mouth, in thought of it being an infection, but theres no signs of discoloration there either. Given that they're an eager eater I don't think whatever it is is hurting them physically. The lump has been there for at least a month and a half, most likely a good while longer. My Mom said she noticed it the day they bought him. I also am not sure on their age.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information